Originally Posted by dgrobs
What’s Bowlsheet?
Ha! Really??!!

Old 04-15-2019, 08:57 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
I hereby invite PCA / Michelin Road Atlanta to "track me down" for the crime of posting a video on Rennlist.
I consider it my inalienable right to share my boring videos with fellow racers.
Great vid, especially the early cameo.

I'll sneak you a shiv on my first prison visit!
Old 04-15-2019, 09:18 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I'll sneak you a shiv on my first prison visit!
Bake it into a cake
Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh I don't know, the policy could have something to do with some vidoes that certain individual(s) posted recently and a few years ago.....

Last edited by the_vetman; 04-15-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:33 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Interesting, because I just texted with a friend who races with NASA at RA and there is no such stipulation in their agreements?

Edit:

I just went into my clubregistration previous events and there was a similar statement in 2018. "I agree not to post or publish on any Social, Local or National Media in car video recordings or any type of on track data, collected/ taken during this event without the expressed written consent of Porsche Club America, Peachstate Region, INC. And, Road Atlanta LLC."

This statement is not in the PCA race at Barber from 2018 (also run by the Peachstate Region). Thus, it would appear to be an RA thing!
Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
It could have been a PCA Specific Region issue but it was explained to us that it was a track issue.
Originally Posted by ProCoach
I know of no other renter or organization not promoting pro racing events at Road Atlanta, and even some pro organizers, who stipulate this.

Frank, I’m quite sure this is a PCA initiative, one that (maybe, possibly) has this written into the contract with the Region. Super short sighted and very disappointing.
Originally Posted by BillNye
Good point.
Easier still, it gives them teeth to ask YouTube or whomever to take it down for them. Then it's on whoever posted it to appeal, so on and so forth until one party just gives up.

One reason might be they want to minimize the impact of events that would reflect poorly on them, e.g. poor flagging, rude organizers, and bad drivers that should have been controlled. I think we can all agree how much of a circlejerk videos of this nature turn into.

On the other hand it may be an attempt to police the non-competitive untimed nature of HPDE events. Now that cameras and such are so inexpensive and common place there's a lot more people trying to "make it a race". it'll never be possible to prevent people from using them altogether, but if you can at least remove some of the motivation behind it (in theory), some people might be dissuaded.
edit: after re-reading it looks like this was actually a club race and not HPDE, so not applicable in this case.
My experience with track rental agreements from SMI and some NASCAR tracks is that they have exclusions for collecting video and GPS information about the track. I've found many event organizers don't read or critically examine all the clauses. The root of them is often in protecting licensing rights and information for simulation programs. The way they are written it's not obvious, but the GPS tracking that is used in a data system is technically in violation of the rental agreement. I've had some tracks modify and clarify the language for the club so people can legally use their data systems.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:57 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Say it fast

Bull****
Doh!! Got it. Thanks..
Old 04-15-2019, 11:43 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

These are the small stands we really have to take to stop erosion of your freedom. FEDEX and UPS now scan your driver's license before allowing you to ship a package. This is not a government mandate. This is a commercial company collecting your data under the guise of security. Screw That! I only ship USPS. If everyone got on board to protect freedoms FEDEX/UPS would cave or be out of business. Either action is fine by me. If this is a road Atlanta policy I just won't club race there. I value my freedom..
Old 04-16-2019, 12:24 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Mr. BillyBob -

Where are you and what are you wearing? Not a hoody with dark sunglasses right?

That sounds weird ( and yes - I would be pissed too)

I send Fedex, UPS, USPS all the time. The only thing they asked me for was money.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:32 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Mr. BillyBob -

Where are you and what are you wearing? Not a hoody with dark sunglasses right?

That sounds weird ( and yes - I would be pissed too)

I send Fedex, UPS, USPS all the time. The only thing they asked me for was money.

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/fede...ustin-bombings

maybe you are shipping on an account or living in an area who hasn’t got the memo.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:37 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
https://www.ttnews.com/articles/fede...ustin-bombings

maybe you are shipping on an account or living in an area who hasn’t got the memo.
Don't go to a DHL. They are worse and copy your license and open the package. BoA scans you fingerprint or at least wanted to the last time I was there a decade ago.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Yeah, but requiring a photo ID to vote is somehow "racist"

Back to the matter at hand: absurd threats like RA's are comical and just invite giving them the virtual finger.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:05 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

As a data point, when I instructed at Road Atlanta last June with Peachstate, we had that same sort of announcement at the driver's meeting: No video posted.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:10 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Private parties are free to make video and image distribution restrictions if included in the rental agreement. If the rental agreement stipulated no videos it is enforceable.

Why would they do that? I don't know. But apparently they did.
I am the Track Coordinator for our club and I can confirm that several of the tracks we rent have this written into the general boilerplate of the rental agreement.

I asked about the language and was told that it was a general clause to protect them in the case of a posted video that made their track look bad (I’m guessing poor safety). I then mentioned that our ‘club’ never posts anything but our attendees may and are out of our control. They didn’t seem to care and appear to use this language to go after any individuals posting offending footage. I suspect lawyers are involved
Old 04-16-2019, 09:14 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
I am the Track Coordinator for our club and I can confirm that several of the tracks we rent have this written into the general boilerplate of the rental agreement.

I asked about the language and was told that it was a general clause to protect them in the case of a posted video that made their track look bad (I’m guessing poor safety). I then mentioned that our ‘club’ never posts anything but our attendees may and are out of our control. They didn’t seem to care and appear to use this language to go after any individuals posting offending footage. I suspect lawyers are involved
So you have freedom of contract? Oh my, the thought of adults bargaining around their existing rights to reach commercial agreements satisfactory to both sides. What will the world think of next. Maybe a prohibition on poll taxes!
Old 04-16-2019, 09:24 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
So you have freedom of contract? Oh my, the thought of adults bargaining around their existing rights to reach commercial agreements satisfactory to both sides. What will the world think of next. Maybe a prohibition on poll taxes!
Not arguing with you or lawyers in general. Just pointing out that this language does exist and is pretty common in track rental agreements - particularly the big name tracks that you may see on TV. Everyone wants protection...

Quick Reply: Land of the Free