Sponsored by:

GT2 RS+ Road Atlanta = 1:24.88

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 10:02 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
You don't slide the car around like that?
I wish, but not yet. (or never ever).

With more seat time, I am getting much better with weight transfer, slip angles, and understeer/oversteer, but I am nowhere near the level of expertise in the video. Never will be lol.

I'm flattered that you would even ask me that question.

If I drove on track every day for the rest of my life, I might get to 10% of Randy's ability. Some guys are just naturals. Ayrton Senna, Wayne Gretzky, Jerry Rice, Randy Probst, etc.

Not on my best ever day, but thanks for even thinking it. If only.....
Old 03-29-2019, 10:09 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs

With more seat time, I am getting much better with weight transfer, slip angles, and understeer/oversteer, but I am nowhere near the level of expertise in the video. Never will be lol.

If I drove on track every day for the rest of my life, I might get to 10% of Randy's ability. Some guys are just naturals. Ayrton Senna, Wayne Gretzky, Jerry Rice, Randy Probst, etc.

All kidding aside I'd bet you be surprised to see how much more the car slides than you think.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:16 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

All kidding aside I'd bet you be surprised to see how much more the car slides than you think.
I had DT Miller right seat me for a 30 minute session a couple weeks ago down at NJMP Thunderbolt in the wet.

He was so good and precise showing me how to drift the car around the Octopus and use understeer/oversteer to my advantage and gain grip while drifting the car into the esses and finding the strip of track where I could gain grip in the wet.

The car was sliding like crazy, but DT showed me how to manage that and use it to my advantage. I was amazed at how much my car was sliding and oversteering yet all the while I was able to keep my grip on the wet track.

Someday I will be able to really manage that kind of drifting and sliding, and hopefully that day comes sooner than later.

I get better at it every time on the track, and with more seat time, should become more natural and easy for me.

Yes, the car does slide way more than I would ever think. Good point...
Old 03-29-2019, 10:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

If I drove on track every day for the rest of my life, I might get to 10% of Randy's ability. Some guys are just naturals. Ayrton Senna, Wayne Gretzky, Jerry Rice, Randy Pobst, etc.

Not true.

I have seen and have personal experience with drivers who make a significant commitment (and you’re doing well, for sure) get far beyond their own perceived limitations and MUCH closer to, sometimes equaling, the performance level of mentors, coaches and professional drivers. Mike Hedlund comes to mind.

To progress, you DO need to make a commitment not to continue to ride around as you are now and deliberately, in a highly targeted and in a low-risk area, begin to “unstick” the car.

Not just “slide, correct and recover” but begin developing the ability to KNOW why the car will do BEFORE it does it, and Incrementally, with longer duration and gradually increasing yaw, TELL the car through proactive throttle, brake and steering to begin and sustain doing it!

I’ve worked with Randy for the last few years at the fantastic PCC-Audi Club event led by John and Melonie Sullivan and their able team at VIR every spring (sold out well in advance for the last several years, including this one) and have double-teamed mutual coaching clients of ours.

It’s gotten people through plateaus pretty effectively, but it’s first about what Ross Bentley says; “becoming comfortable with being slightly uncomfortable.”

People have to make the car move and NOT STOP it from moving, too quickly. THEY HAVE to be more incremental in their inputs to get there and STAY there.

THAT is how you get there, or at least get closer...
Old 03-29-2019, 10:31 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Not true.

I have seen and have personal experience with drivers who make a significant commitment (and you’re doing well, for sure) get far beyond their own perceived limitations and MUCH closer to, sometimes equaling, the performance level of mentors, coaches and professional drivers. Mike Hedlund comes to mind.

To progress, you DO need to make a commitment not to continue to ride around as you are now and deliberately, in a highly targeted and in a low-risk area, begin to “unstick” the car.

Not just “slide, correct and recover” but begin developing the ability to KNOW why the car will do BEFORE it does it, and Incrementally, with longer duration and gradually increasing yaw, TELL the car through proactive throttle, brake and steering to begin and sustain doing it!

I’ve worked with Randy for the last few years at the fantastic PCC-Audi Club event led by John and Melonie Sullivan and their able team at VIR every spring (sold out well in advance for the last several years, including this one) and have double-teamed mutual coaching clients of ours.

It’s gotten people through plateaus pretty effectively, but it’s first about what Ross Bentley says; “becoming comfortable with being slightly uncomfortable.”

People have to make the car move and NOT STOP it from moving, too quickly. THEY HAVE to be more incremental in their inputs to get there and STAY there.

THAT is how you get there, or at least get closer...
Someday......
Old 03-29-2019, 10:41 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Someday......
FWIW, I do think you should start spending more of your track time with a coach.

I used to pound out a lot laps but with no real improvement. My friend Tim Strehl started to spend some time looking at data and video with me and that helped me punch through some of my plateaus.

Then last year,I worked with pro racer Scott Heckert and shaved nearly 4 seconds off of my VIR lap times (2:02 to a 1:58). We also set the TT3 record at LRP with a 56.8. I work with again in May at Mid Ohio.

Purposeful seat time.

My $0.02 for you.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:58 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I do think you should start spending more of your track time with a coach.

I used to pound out a lot laps but with no real improvement. My friend Tim Strehl started to spend some time looking at data and video with me and that helped me punch through some of my plateaus.

Then last year,I worked with pro racer Scott Heckert and shaved nearly 4 seconds off of my VIR lap times (2:02 to a 1:58). We also set the TT3 record at LRP with a 56.8. I work with again in May at Mid Ohio.

Purposeful seat time.

My $0.02 for you.
Point taken. Gracias...
Old 03-29-2019, 12:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Tim is a gem, an early adopter who knows what he’s talking about and committed to educating his fellow instructors about the best use of this technology.

Scott is VERY talented, has a great demeanor, is lightning quick but patient, focused and well spoken. I’ve raced with his dad Alex for thirty years and have worked with Scott in stock cars and sports cars.

Great resources, both fast but devoid of ego, or trying to get YOU to do it how THEY do it.

Instead, they use technology and objective measures to focus on giving you enough information for YOU to know HOW to DO it.

The latter is the hallmark of all top coaches...
Old 04-04-2019, 12:54 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Randy doesn't like nannies. Whatever he can turn off, he usually does. That being said, I'm not familiar with exactly what you can turn off in the 2RS.

You can rest assured that Randy can handle that much slip angle with ease though.
But it appears he is driving the PDK in automatic mode? Am I seeing that right?
Old 04-04-2019, 01:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jakermc
But it appears he is driving the PDK in automatic mode? Am I seeing that right?
Yes, automatic mode, he confirmed.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-04-2019, 06:08 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 203 Posts

Yes, automatic mode, he confirmed.
Any word on status of traction control and stability control during the fast lap?
Old 04-04-2019, 06:42 PM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

a rolex 24 winner and now pro tester like Randy almost certainly has system off as much as it can be off in a street car....which is to say, it cannot be turned entirely off ever anyways.

Originally Posted by jakermc
Any word on status of traction control and stability control during the fast lap?
Old 04-07-2019, 01:17 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Fumes
a rolex 24 winner and now pro tester like Randy almost certainly has system off as much as it can be off in a street car....which is to say, it cannot be turned entirely off ever anyways.
As much as I will agree with this statement, Randy also knows the goal is to set the fastest lap he can. If he found it's faster with a hint of TC or SC, I would not be surprised at all if he left them on for the fast lap.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SkeerRacing
As much as I will agree with this statement, Randy also knows the goal is to set the fastest lap he can. If he found it's faster with a hint of TC or SC, I would not be surprised at all if he left them on for the fast lap.
Bingo. The more experienced the racer, the more open their mind to whatever it takes to obtain the best performance....
Old 04-07-2019, 06:41 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Bingo. The more experienced the racer, the more open their mind to whatever it takes to obtain the best performance....
I’ll buy into that 8 days a week.
Makes sense, at the very least, for the “money” laps.

Quick Reply: GT2 RS+ Road Atlanta = 1:24.88