Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Porsche tech rep disses PCCB for the track (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1135377-porsche-tech-rep-disses-pccb-for-the-track.html)

Veloce Raptor 03-25-2019 02:17 PM

Porsche tech rep disses PCCB for the track

Captain Obvious:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/24/...edium=facebook

brownan 03-26-2019 11:09 AM

I thought the main benefit was that they matched the yellow seatbelts.

sbelles 03-26-2019 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by brownan (Post 15729776)

No, they match the $1,000 CF floor mats.

LuigiVampa 03-26-2019 11:58 AM

In other news Paul Watson is looking for a new job.

Gary R. 03-26-2019 12:06 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9b6acb598f.jpg

Zach L 03-27-2019 12:00 PM

I've used my PCCB for about 12 hours of track use, including COTA which is not the easiest on brakes. The performance/feel/feedback is superior to any steel setup I've used on track.

The fault is only the replacement cost. I'll likely be putting in a set of Girodisc steel conversion rotors soon, unless I can find a cheap set of lightly used carbon rotors (unlikely).

The ideal PCCB driver would do drive tours, canyon runs, daily drive and autocross (everything but sustained track usage). If that's the case they'll last 150,000 miles easy. And yes, the wheels would never be dirty :)

Originally Posted by brownan (Post 15729776)

Originally Posted by sbelles (Post 15729918)
No, they match the $1,000 CF floor mats.

Any specific examples you can point to of PCCB owner doing this? In my case, there is not one piece of carbon fiber on my car, or anything yellow other than the calipers. Some of us prefer function over form.

the_vetman 03-28-2019 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Zach L (Post 15732429)
Any specific examples you can point to of PCCB owner doing this? In my case, there is not one piece of carbon fiber on my car, or anything yellow other than the calipers. Some of us prefer function over form.

Except that most people get it as bling-bling. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I mean, we've been talking for years and years and years about why PCCBs are sh!tty for the track.....

Zach L 03-28-2019 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by the_vetman (Post 15734402)
Except that most people get it as bling-bling. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I mean, we've been talking for years and years and years about why PCCBs are sh!tty for the track.....

People that want bling-bling don't bother getting PCCB... they just paint the stock calipers yellow :rolleyes:

Thundermoose 03-28-2019 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Zach L
People that want bling-bling don't bother getting PCCB... they just paint the stock calipers yellow :rolleyes:

Did you buy your car with PCCB? What brake system did you have before?

Akunob 03-28-2019 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by the_vetman (Post 15734402)

Just to clarify, PCCBs are not "sh!tty for the track", on the contrary, from experience (having tracked both PCCBs and Girodisc), PCCBs perform incredibly well on track and are amazing. However when they wear, like all consummables do, their replacement cost is astronomical. PCCBs aren't sh!tty for the track, they are merely an extremely expensive option for heavy track users. Hopefully if/when the replacement costs of PCCBs trends down, they will be an economical option for track use.

breljohn 03-29-2019 09:11 AM

PM'D you

Originally Posted by Zach L (Post 15732429)
I've used my PCCB for about 12 hours of track use, including COTA which is not the easiest on brakes. The performance/feel/feedback is superior to any steel setup I've used on track.

The fault is only the replacement cost. I'll likely be putting in a set of Girodisc steel conversion rotors soon, unless I can find a cheap set of lightly used carbon rotors (unlikely).

The ideal PCCB driver would do drive tours, canyon runs, daily drive and autocross (everything but sustained track usage). If that's the case they'll last 150,000 miles easy. And yes, the wheels would never be dirty :)

the_vetman 03-29-2019 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zach L (Post 15734573)

Umm, no.

the_vetman 03-29-2019 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Akunob (Post 15734911)
Just to clarify, PCCBs are not "sh!tty for the track", on the contrary, from experience (having tracked both PCCBs and Girodisc), PCCBs perform incredibly well on track and are amazing. However when they wear, like all consummables do, their replacement cost is astronomical. PCCBs aren't sh!tty for the track, they are merely an extremely expensive option for heavy track users. Hopefully if/when the replacement costs of PCCBs trends down, they will be an economical option for track use.

That's what I meant by sh!tty, not that their performance is terrible. I mean, who wants to pay $25,000 every time they have to change out their brakes? Asked in a different way: do any of the pro racing teams use PCCB or CCB? Do Cup cars come with PCCB?

GT3DE 03-29-2019 11:58 PM

Pro teams use exactly what the rules tell them to use, they have no choice.

Akunob 03-30-2019 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by the_vetman (Post 15738558)
That's what I meant by sh!tty, not that their performance is terrible. I mean, who wants to pay $25,000 every time they have to change out their brakes? Asked in a different way: do any of the pro racing teams use PCCB or CCB? Do Cup cars come with PCCB?

Got it.