Sponsored by:

URGENT: Lapping/race cars and back injuries questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 11:18 PM
syldrum
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy URGENT: Lapping/race cars and back injuries questions

Hi Guys and gals, It's been a while since my last post.
I still have my totally modified yet still plated, cayman S 2008. I had last summer a double disc herniation. I was using 99% on track and 2 miles on street. I want to gain confort, also, I want to use a bit more my car on street.
Therefor, I want to remove the front part of my roll cage (HEiGO dismantable), remove my Halo Sparco Pro ADV seat and replace by a Sparco Ergo 2 large with a special padding for my back and ***.... Point is, the Ergo 2 LF is way taller than other one, like 3,5 inches.
I saw some Ergo installed but medium, which is 2 inches lower than the large.

1. Does anyone of you have a Ergo Large installed with a half cage?
2. Does someone found a miracle solution to drive while being protected from impact?
Old 03-24-2019, 02:38 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have much experience with proper track seats but I had my back fused in 2000 because of two discs that were degenerated entirely so I have learned a bit about back pain, comfort/discomfort and protecting my back. I am sure your docs have told you the best way to protect your back is core strength and dropping an extra weight. Both of those become more difficult as you age but the payoffs are substantial. On the comfort front I am a big believer in finding the best support possible in terms of seats and if needed supplementing padding with memory foam (very little can make a difference). I am sure the folks at one of the retailers of seats will have some suggestions and of course I wouldn't buy a seat without spending some time in it personally.

Please share what you find in your search.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:44 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I have a pair of Sparco Ergo 2 Larges that I have installed in two E36 M3s. The Large is indeed large - it is a very big seat and very tall. I have back issues as well and find the Ergo to be a very comfortable seat with lots of support. Because the seat back is so tall, it is a challenge to get the seat mounted low enough in the car.

The first car I managed to fit them in was a street car with 1/2 cage and full interior. I had to fabricate custom floor mounts to fit them in the car. Driver's side had a slider for ingress and egress. Seat fit to the car was *very* tight and it took a lot of futzing to get it to fit. Removable halos worked well and I daily drove the car as well as using it for track weekends. Had to use the six point belts all the time because I couldn't get the seats to work with the 3 points.

Second car was the same model, but this one has a stripped interior and full cage. Re-used the same custom mounts but had to ditch the slider as it would not fit with it and the removable steering wheel removed the need anyway.

I don't know how tight a Cayman is compared with a BMW E36 M3. Cayman's look tight to me. If it works like the E36, the tight spots (driver's side) are the right front of the seat and the center console, the left top of the seat and the door opening trim/glass, the left side of the seat and the door trim. If you buy the seat from a place like OG Racing they ought to let you try a bolt-less test fit. I found I could put the seat on a sofa and then sit in it to see how I fit into it. For the car, remove the stock seat, put down some towels on the floor to protect the test seat from scraching and see if you can place seat in the car in a decent position and be able to close the door with the window up. If it doesn't fit, it will only cost you about $100 shipping.

All of this said, the Ergo Medium is *a lot* smaller and would be much easier to fit if you can swing it. I'm a big guy and the medium did fit me, but I'm long torsoed and the should belt holes were just too low. I got the large solely because of the shoulder belt holes. The medium would have been a lot easier.

-Mike
Old 03-25-2019, 11:31 AM
ned911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I just had my 3rd lower back surgery 2 weeks ago (staples come out tomorrow) and I totally agree with PruettFan. Keep your lifting to a minimum as well but weight and core strength are key to comfort.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:19 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by syldrum
Hi Guys and gals, It's been a while since my last post.
I still have my totally modified yet still plated, cayman S 2008. I had last summer a double disc herniation. I was using 99% on track and 2 miles on street. I want to gain confort, also, I want to use a bit more my car on street.
Therefor, I want to remove the front part of my roll cage (HEiGO dismantable), remove my Halo Sparco Pro ADV seat and replace by a Sparco Ergo 2 large with a special padding for my back and ***.... Point is, the Ergo 2 LF is way taller than other one, like 3,5 inches.
I saw some Ergo installed but medium, which is 2 inches lower than the large.

1. Does anyone of you have a Ergo Large installed with a half cage?
2. Does someone found a miracle solution to drive while being protected from impact?
I'm assuming the mods included stiffer suspension, too? If you're not going to be racing, instead of "reverse-modding" this 99% track car, why not replace it with something more fitting to your current needs/condition -- a softer, more streetable car?
Old 03-25-2019, 02:02 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default talk to Paul Solk

@Paul Solk found some really cool high tech stuff to make inserts from that absorb impacts.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:11 PM
syldrum
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys
Old 03-26-2019, 08:00 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Yes - Get in touch with Paul.

Quick Reply: URGENT: Lapping/race cars and back injuries questions