Sponsored by:

SCCA regionals versus majors

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:06 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 69 Posts
Default SCCA regionals versus majors

Is there a significant difference in lap times between SCCA regional racing versus majors? I’m planning my first race, and it doesn’t seem like there are any regionals in Texas with the SCCA. Only majors.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:41 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Seems like all the same cast of characters from what I can tell.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:55 PM
SM#80
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

SCCA Majors events are supposed to have a little more draw and tend to bring out some of the faster cars/drivers. At least that's the case where I typically run.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:58 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Thanks. It looks like due to shortage of tracks in Texas, the regionals/majors are the same.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:33 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Regional-only race classes can race at Regionals but not Majors. Probably won't notice unless you're looking at IT cars. Which I guess aren't even a thing in TX, not anymore...

IIRC Majors require drivers to possess an actual SCCA race license (vs. from another body plus SCCA membership only - like my wife, who races IT, and has a Waterford Hills license not SCCA).

More likely to run into idiots trying too hard getting all Serious Business trying to make it to the Ruboffs instead of being mellow about not being competitive... but not if there are only Majors in your area...
Old 03-19-2019, 08:41 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Is this your first SCCA race or first ever race? I thought you had to do some regional races first before jumping to majors.
Also depends on what class you are racing. If you are going for your first race in Sm or SRF just be aware there are some wicked fast guys. Im not saying you are not fast but if you are still learning you may be better off at the regional level. .
Old 03-20-2019, 10:38 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajcjr
Is this your first SCCA race or first ever race? I thought you had to do some regional races first before jumping to majors.
Also depends on what class you are racing. If you are going for your first race in Sm or SRF just be aware there are some wicked fast guys. Im not saying you are not fast but if you are still learning you may be better off at the regional level. .
First race ever, aside from the 5 lap races we had in comp school. I do have the SCCA full comp license. I spoke with the SCCA leadership yesterday in my region, and they confirmed that in TX, the majors are the regional events because TWS and Eagles Canyon aren’t hosting races anymore. Shortage of tracks. I may go out of region in order to do a true regional race, because yes, i’ll be in SRF3 most likely. Or SM. Here in Texas, my only options this year are to run COTA or MSR Houston at a Majors event. And to be perfectly frank, my goal for my first race is to bring the rental home in one piece and not come last.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:49 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Did you check out Hallet in OK. Great track and they may have SCCA races.

Peter
Old 03-20-2019, 12:41 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Did you check out Hallet in OK. Great track and they may have SCCA races.

Peter
Yes, I think there’s only one event at Hallett and it is next week. Won’t be ready by then.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cds4402
Is there a significant difference in lap times between SCCA regional racing versus majors? I’m planning my first race, and it doesn’t seem like there are any regionals in Texas with the SCCA. Only majors.
I haven't seen any real differences. the difference is that you don't have some of the regional groups partaking, which means , lap times can actually be slower due to some classes being less regulated. (eg ITE , anything goes on DOTs) It really depends on who shows up and with what.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:52 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are correct. Hallett is next week. The last few years there has been a very good field of SRF and Gen3 SRFs. The Hallett shop takes care of approximately 15 SFR/Gen3's and have a really good handle on setup. Might be worth your while to visit during the SCCA race. They have built a few new Gen3s this past year.
Back when regionals were run on Saturday and Nationals on Sunday, it was accepted practice to run both the regional and the national, but if you were a national guys you would pull off before the finish so the regional guys could fight for the regional points championship.

Tim
Old 03-22-2019, 10:36 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I started only racing locally. I did that for many years. Then I got hooked up with a new friend about 8 years ago and got the opportunity to tag along with his race program racing nationally at Majors as opposed to just locally or regionally at majors. I only planned to do Runoffs once in my life because it was in my state but this year will be 6th in a row only because of his infrastructure. IMO Majors is a level above in intensity and Runoffs above that especially East of the Rockies. Just the number of new tire sets you see on the grid at each level are telling. Then there are the few low level pro names you see in the driver line up and then the guys who disappear from the grid making their way to Transam and PWC/Blancpain. .
Old 03-22-2019, 10:46 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,834 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I started only racing locally. I did that for many years. Then I got hooked up with a new friend about 8 years ago and got the opportunity to tag along with his race program racing nationally at Majors as opposed to just locally or regionally at majors. I only planned to do Runoffs once in my life because it was in my state but this year will be 6th in a row only because of his infrastructure. IMO Majors is a level above in intensity and Runoffs above that especially East of the Rockies. Just the number of new tire sets you see on the grid at each level are telling. Then there are the few low level pro names you see in the driver line up and then the guys who disappear from the grid making their way to Transam and PWC/Blancpain. .
^^THIS^^

It's been a long time, but when I made the transition from Regionals (and cars that were Regional eligible only) to Nationals (now Majors), there was a massive step up in comparative lap times, intensity, skill level at the front and better driving all around.

Especially in Production car and sports car (Prototype/Sports Racer) racing classes...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-22-2019, 12:04 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Not SCCA but Halett has their own race series, COMMA, and I’m pretty sure they would rent you an SRF. It’s been a lot of years ago, 2007, but I rented one for a day to learn the track.

Peter
Old 03-22-2019, 03:38 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hallett

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Not SCCA but Halett has their own race series, COMMA, and I’m pretty sure they would rent you an SRF. It’s been a lot of years ago, 2007, but I rented one for a day to learn the track.

Peter
Yes. Hallett will still rent you an SRF. Contact Scott Stephens.

Quick Reply: SCCA regionals versus majors