Sponsored by:

what to do in case of brake failure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 01:21 AM
Greg Phillips
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Lost brakes

1- Don't forget to try and pump your brakes if you get no brakes on initial application, you may be able to pump up enough pressure to get things stopped safely without having to take more drastic measures.

2- Some cars also have a real handbrake that may be helpful to some degree even if the main brakes are not working

3- Now think about more drastic measures, where is the safest place to go and how to arrive there

Greg Phillips
Old 03-19-2019, 09:04 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

This is the one downside of new Cup gearbox - there’s no banging down though the gears because the software won’t allow downshifts if revs are too high. BL, you’re completely dependent on your Scandinavian Flick skill.....
Old 03-19-2019, 09:19 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Lee’s in-car showed pretty much a complete loss of pressure. He tried to pump, just nobody home. Glad he wasn’t hurt, it was a big one.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:23 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

^^Indeed:

Old 03-19-2019, 09:46 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

It's very similar to an induced tactical 180 you see in the movies and we trained on in VIP protection and motorcade operations. Yes, in the case of T17, a brief super quick 1/4 turn of the wheel left and then a super quick aggressive turn right. When the vehicle has rotated 90 degrees, STRAIGHTEN THE WHEEL fast. This is how you prevent a roll over.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:13 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Phillips
1- Don't forget to try and pump your brakes if you get no brakes on initial application, you may be able to pump up enough pressure to get things stopped safely without having to take more drastic measures.

2- Some cars also have a real handbrake that may be helpful to some degree even if the main brakes are not working

3- Now think about more drastic measures, where is the safest place to go and how to arrive there

Greg Phillips
+1

I had a front pad explode on initial application at 17 one time. At first I thought they were totally gone but after what felt like an eternity, I got enough back to get it slowed enough to turn. Luckily there is a lot of tarmac out there so you have some options. In other turns, the opportunity to throw it sideways while still on the track goes by really quick.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:31 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
+1

In other turns, the opportunity to throw it sideways while still on the track goes by really quick.
Yup, and in general, I'd say a side impact with a barrier is the least preferable choice. Our safety systems work best when we hit head-on or ***-end-first. When I lost my brakes at COTA, in about a half second, I went through a progression thoughts:

Where am I
Do I have enough time to spin the car
What will be my orientation when I hit gravel
What will my orientation when I hit the barrier
OK,spin it
And finally "wow did I get lucky"

Amazing how fast the brain works when it really has to.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Yup, and in general, I'd say a side impact with a barrier is the least preferable choice. Our safety systems work best when we hit head-on or ***-end-first. When I lost my brakes at COTA, in about a half second, I went through a progression thoughts:

Where am I
OK,spin it

Yep, I there. Great instinct!
Old 03-19-2019, 01:32 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Where am I
OK,spin it

But is your memory of it slow? In my infamous T8 off at TWS where I nearly hit the flagstation felt like it happened in slow motion in real time and my memory of it as well, yet the whole incident couldn't have been longer than a few seconds at most and started with car at over 100 MPH.

Interesting theory, perhaps the fear and adrenaline charged brain really does speed up compared to normal and since the normal state is the usual state, memories from that sped up state feel slow. I dunno.

-Mike
Old 03-19-2019, 02:07 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

One thing i learned from my wreck was planning.
making the correct choices...
drive it while you can...

once your a passenger....aka no input is going to help you.. and you are literally on a ride......you need to own it.

protect the body. Hug yourself and Cross you hands and feet

worst feeling ever but i think it saved me plenty of injury, but i hated the feeling that choice gave me.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:59 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 161 Likes on 118 Posts

Where am I
OK,spin it

Mike, Glad you brought this up. I was going to as well.

Our cars are made to best protect us in a front on collision. Belts stretch, body part crumple. If there is a gravel or sand trap, then all the better for going in straight.

If you go off the track sideways fast a trap will more likely roll you. If you hit the wall (hard) sideways it will HURT you. So, if you are going to go off and hit a wall, the best odds are to nose in.

Backing in is also fine, but I just did that at VIR. Came off track with a dry track and wet grass. I came across track and expected to scrub some speed, but not much. Only thing I managed to do is line up so that I backed in. Did everything I should have including grabbing the belts and making sure my head was resting against the back of the seat. When I hit, the seat flexed enough that the seat hit the cross bar behind me (997 cup). That rang my bell more than I expected. It was September and I can still feel it.

Thanks

Ed

https://www.goodaero.com/
Race Designed Aerodynamics

https://racingtirewarmers.com/
Win more races with tire warmers

Great products for racers by racers

ed@demonspeed.com

Demon Speed Motorsports is a proud sponsor of PCA and the Club Racing Program

Old 03-19-2019, 08:50 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Is this taught at PCA car control clinics?
I have seen videos of the car control clinic at Lime Rock, it seems to be for the most part on a circular wet pad.
Attemps at self instruction in an empty parking lot, can't really duplicate the speed. In addition, the lack of proper instruction.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
-David
Old 03-19-2019, 08:53 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Interesting theory, perhaps the fear and adrenaline charged brain really does speed up compared to normal and since the normal state is the usual state, memories from that sped up state feel slow. I dunno.

-Mike
Yes, this has been proven to be true.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:26 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Is this taught at PCA car control clinics?
I have seen videos of the car control clinic at Lime Rock, it seems to be for the most part on a circular wet pad.
Attemps at self instruction in an empty parking lot, can't really duplicate the speed. In addition, the lack of proper instruction.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
-David
the best car control clinic I’ve attended thaught me to be diligent about where I’m looking, and to be much quicker with the hands. Interestingly, that was instructed by Lee. The rest have just put me in the situation to have fun or whatever. Better than nothing, and fun for sure, but not that instructive.

If you want to practice flicking the car around while controlling where the car is going, find yourself some time in a sim, preferably with a VR headset so you can whip you head around to see where you want to be going. Head down a main straight and see if you can destabilize or spin the car without veering into a side barrier.

Last edited by Difool; 03-20-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:32 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

there is nothing easy about it this but lot of good info in this thread and I guess another reason I need to get a SIM...

Quick Reply: what to do in case of brake failure?