Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothing has changed in F1

Old 03-19-2019, 12:50 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
But we don't how much the damage impact the car's handling and pace, and the damaged Merc was probably still faster than the Red Bull. I'd love to see an F1 where all of the cars are identical and the only variable is the driver. As it stands now, F1 seems to be more of an engineering competition than a driver competition. Put Lewis in any of the slower cars and he'll never set foot on a podium during the entire season. Or put Alonso in the Merc for the past few years and he would have taken away a decent chunk of Lewis' WDCs.
None of this is new to this season. F1 has always been about the car/engineering.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,700 Likes on 2,152 Posts

Originally Posted by seanseidman
None of this is new to this season. F1 has always been about the car/engineering.
Understood, my point was that, while Lewis is very good, his relative success is more due to his car and team than his driving ability.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:53 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,855 Likes on 1,698 Posts

But we don't how much the damage impact the car's handling and pace, and the damaged Merc was probably still faster than the Red Bull. I'd love to see an F1 where all of the cars are identical and the only variable is the driver. As it stands now, F1 seems to be more of an engineering competition than a driver competition. Put Lewis in any of the slower cars and he'll never set foot on a podium during the entire season. Or put Alonso in the Merc for the past few years and he would have taken away a decent chunk of Lewis' WDCs.
^^^ this^^^*

give Lewis his due but it says more about how dominant the Mercedes is compared to every other car on grid when a wounded Merc can pull away from the Ferrari’s and hold off a charging Max on fresh tires and the potential to use DRS if he could get close enough. Lewis, Senna, Schumacher, Alonso Jim Clark, Fangio Prost don’t beat that Mercedes with any other car on grid
Old 03-19-2019, 04:54 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,436 Likes on 996 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
The damage details further point to Hamilton's brilliance as an F1 driver! Even with a damaged unbalanced car, hindering his ability to push (apparently since lap 4 of a 58 lap GP) Hamilton not only managed to finish P2 but held of Verstappen who was on fresher tires and had passed Vettel with ease! Onto Bahrain!!
+1 This^^
Old 03-19-2019, 05:39 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

I'd love to see an F1 where all of the cars are identical and the only variable is the driver.
That's what Indycar is for It's now basically a spec series with a single chassis manufacturer (though there are two engine choices).

As stated, F1 has always been the pinnacle of automotive racing technology, which is part of its appeal....and believe me, it's not lost on anybody when somebody like Alonso takes a dog of a car and wrings its neck like he did.....it enhances his reputation as an all-time great even further.

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 03-19-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:50 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Understood, my point was that, while Lewis is very good, his relative success is more due to his car and team than his driving ability.
Again, that's been the nature of F1 since its inception when Alfa Romeo won virtually every race in 1950 and 1951. Ferrari, Lotus, Williams, McLaren, Red Bull all had extended periods of success. All had tremendous drivers. But those drivers had the best cars.

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 03-19-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:52 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Funny how, generally and broadly speaking, somehow the best drivers and the best cars find each other.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:56 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,700 Likes on 2,152 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Funny how, generally and broadly speaking, somehow the best drivers and the best cars find each other.
The correlation coefficient is +0.43.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:02 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bang on!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:31 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Agreed, but then you have a legend like Stirling Moss who never won an F1 Championship, partly because for much of his career he drove for British teams like Vanwall, Cooper and BRM that were fielding cars which weren't top-shelf, putting it mildly.....

But he did have a hell of a career in sports cars, driving what? Among others, the legendary M-B 300SLR and Maserati 250F!

Win some, lose some......

Gary
Old 03-20-2019, 11:25 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,855 Likes on 1,698 Posts

I think the more recent exception was Alonso. I know the Ferrari wasn't as fast as it was 2 of the years he had it in his hands and yet, he almost took 2 WDC from Vettel.

I think you appreciate a driver MORE when he's in a car that isn't the fastest and you seen him drag it up the field. In watching Alonso drive an Indy car for the first time and what he's done lately in sports cars, he seems to be a throwback to an era of drivers when they would drive anything and succeed.

I think Max is probably in this same category of making a car look faster than it really is.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:31 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,436 Likes on 996 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
I think the more recent exception was Alonso. I know the Ferrari wasn't as fast as it was 2 of the years he had it in his hands and yet, he almost took 2 WDC from Vettel.

I think you appreciate a driver MORE when he's in a car that isn't the fastest and you seen him drag it up the field. In watching Alonso drive an Indy car for the first time and what he's done lately in sports cars, he seems to be a throwback to an era of drivers when they would drive anything and succeed.

I think Max is probably in this same category of making a car look faster than it really is.
So true. Great post...
Old 03-20-2019, 12:59 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,190 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21

Alonso seemed to keep making exactly the wrong move each year but I think he has recently gotten his act together in that regard.

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator...acing-trophies

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nothing has changed in F1