Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Is anyone here renting out a racecar to others? (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1133142-is-anyone-here-renting-out-a-racecar-to-others.html)

cds4402 03-11-2019 11:12 AM

Is anyone here renting out a racecar to others?

I just earned my SCCA full competition license. Debating whether I should continue to rent cars or buy one. Wondering if anyone rents out their racecar to other people, for their use, using a third party race shop to store/manage rental of their car. Is anyone doing this here?

93 FireHawk 968 03-11-2019 01:48 PM

I've owned my own race cars for the vast amount of racing simply tto ensure it was prepared to the highest standards and I was familiar with all nuances of the car. I have rented cars for some races and always felt that I was catching up with regard to understanding the cars nuances, simply because there was little test time prior to the race. A few were not as well prepared as advertised and provided for a less than satisfactory experience.

Where I've had success is renting SM's from Flatout Motorsports for my son to race with SCCA. I've rented from Nick(owner) for test / tune and actual race day weekends. His cars are well prepped, keeps a vast amount of parts on the rig, provides coaching and always a pleasure to work with.

Steve113 03-11-2019 02:18 PM

Rent if you can afford to rent the car you want to drive...……..so much easier to arrive and drive

David993S 03-11-2019 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by cds4402 (Post 15695378)
I just earned my SCCA full competition license. Debating whether I should continue to rent cars or buy one. Wondering if anyone rents their racecar, using a third party race shop to store/manage rental of their car. Is anyone doing this here?

Congrats on getting your SCCA license. I've both rented and owned race cars, and there are benefits and downsides to each approach. Usually having to do with convenience, how much time you have to devote to the sport and cost, so it's kind of a personal decision. If you rent, just thoroughly vet the business to make sure you're renting a competitive, well maintained car.
I've owned more race cars than I've rented.........having a race car is just about the most fun toy a person can own, except for maybe an airplane.

Gary R. 03-11-2019 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by David993S (Post 15696077)
..having a race car is just about the most fun toy a person can own, except for maybe an airplane.

Or a Ferrari 360 gated 6 speed Spider with Challenge exhaust and solenoids... ;)

ace37 03-11-2019 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by cds4402 (Post 15695378)
I just earned my SCCA full competition license. Debating whether I should continue to rent cars or buy one. Wondering if anyone rents their racecar, using a third party race shop to store/manage rental of their car. Is anyone doing this here?

This is offered locally and I considered it before building my race car. Obviously it’s more convenient. For occasional use I was a little surprised to realize it would have also been cheaper.

Personally I find ownership has an emotional appeal, and I accept that that can cost money. Hopefully it doesn’t but I’d make the same decision either way. And on the other hand I find the A&D series such as Roos pretty appealing. Rental in the open sense of the word is also nice - I’d like to eventually do things like rally school but I have no desire to own and maintain a rally car.

cds4402 03-11-2019 05:42 PM

I phrased my question poorly. I’m wanting to know if anyone here owns a racecar for the purpose of renting it out to other people.

seanseidman 03-11-2019 07:21 PM

As others have mentioned, some race/tuning shops offer this service, and any individuals I know who have rented out their race cars have done it through tuning/race shops.
I have not heard of an individual renting out their personal car (other than enduro teams)
I was able to rent a radical last min from Radical Canada West when my car had an issue during morning practice.

fatbillybob 03-11-2019 11:33 PM

IMO the best reason to rent when you always wanted to race WGI when you live in SoCal. I wish there was a more "arrive and Drive" network so you can find out who is renting cars.

Turbodan 03-11-2019 11:49 PM

I thought about buying a car that was offered to me. I was thinking about renting it out. It requires someone to be at the track all day from delivery to take home at night and have go pro running when car is running. Close storage for the car and trailer and having a good tow vehicle all help.
I decided it was too much and passed. Now I think about it once in a while and I would need to be offered a good car cheap to ever do it. Obviously I would use it as well.

Frank 993 C4S 03-12-2019 08:40 AM

There are shops that rent cars and support them but I’ve never met an individual that rents out his own car. Why take the risk of somebody screwing it up and not telling you about it only for you find out later? I have rented Miatas before with good results.