Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   May 8-9: DE at Watkins Glen (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1133140-may-8-9-de-at-watkins-glen.html)

ProCoach 05-10-2019 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Solk (Post 15832144)
The nice thing is my single fast lap from last year which I couldn't really identify how I did it are now my consistent laps and my ideal rolling lap and theoretical best laps according to data show there is still room for improvement.

Fantastic work, Paul! Congrats.

Paul Solk 05-10-2019 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by ProCoach (Post 15832321)
Fantastic work, Paul! Congrats.

Thank you Peter!!! Make your fast lap your consistent laps THEN push for a new fast lap to make consistent :)
Thank you again!

dgrobs 05-10-2019 07:07 PM

I know I am no where near Pauls level of driving. Probably never will be, but one can dream, yes?
I hung out Weds afternoon for 20 minutes on the grandstands by the Esses and I was flat out amazed how smooth and fast and precise the Grey Goose was running up those Esses. Matter of fact, most of those faster Cup cars were quite impressive on the track, but I was only watching Paul. I was impressed. I went over afterwards and told him how much fun I had watching him drive, and how much I hoped to get to that level someday. We both agreed that we started this track addiction too late in life, but damn was he smooth and fast.
By Weds afternoon I was running 2:12’s consistently. Thats a personal best for me. It was only
a couple years ago that I was running 2:20’s. 2:12’s are really good for me and the lap times were very consistent lap to lap, so I know I am improving, but damn would I love to drive like Paul was driving that day. Was like poetry in motion.
Sorry I missed some of you other RL folks that were there. If I’d only known I would have introduced myself to all of you. Coulda had a few beers when the track went cold. Next time. I did finally have a nice face to face with Rick Betterly in the paddock. Great finally being able to chat in real life. Nice meeting you.
Again, for those here that didn’t attend, you really
missed one of the great DE’s of the season. So glad I finally went and it will be an annual stop on my never ending track tour each season. So much track time. It’s not often I get to empty a full tank of fuel in 1 session.
HCR, you guys rock. Thanks again for a real
good time. Already looking forward to next years Cups and Saucers.

ProCoach 05-10-2019 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by dgrobs (Post 15832418)
I know I am no where near Pauls level of driving. Probably never will be, but one can dream, yes?
I hung out Weds afternoon for 20 minutes on the grandstands by the Esses and I was flat out amazed how smooth and fast and precise the Grey Goose was running up those Esses. Matter of fact, most of those faster Cup cars were quite impressive on the track, but I was only watching Paul. I was impressed. I went over afterwards and told him how much fun I had watching him drive, and how much I hoped to get to that level someday.

dgrobs, told you before, will tell you again. You CAN go as FAR as you want. You're accumulating time at a great rate, just need to reduce focus on lap times (too big a measure), increase focus on the best execution of fundamental skills, making each decision and execution in the car the best it can be, add some urgency (no slack time) and it'll come...

Paul has hit the nail on the head. Make the consistency SO good that ALL the laps are good, and the best ones even incrementally better. Each time, and if not each time, over time...

Few folks are as dedicated to the craft, invest in themselves, their cars, the resources they use to measure and quantify their improvement (human and machine) as Frank and Paul are, but they're seeing the results!

I've seen a lot of folks discount themselves due to how late they started, perceived lesser aptitude compared to more experienced friends/pros, any number of reasons. But with work, proper practice and highly targeted goals for EACH on track session possible in an environment like this one, and they can surprise themselves with how good they can become!

It's SO much fun when that happens...

Paul Solk 05-10-2019 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by dgrobs (Post 15832418)
I hung out Weds afternoon for 20 minutes on the grandstands by the Esses and I was flat out amazed how smooth and fast and precise the Grey Goose was running up those Esses. Matter of fact, most of those faster Cup cars were quite impressive on the track, but I was only watching Paul. I was impressed. I went over afterwards and told him how much fun I had watching him drive, and how much I hoped to get to that level someday. We both agreed that we started this track addiction too late in life, but damn was he smooth and fast.
By Weds afternoon I was running 2:12’s consistently. Thats a personal best for me. It was only
a couple years ago that I was running 2:20’s. 2:12’s are really good for me and the lap times were very consistent lap to lap, so I know I am improving, but damn would I love to drive like Paul was driving that day. Was like poetry in motion.
Sorry I missed some of you other RL folks that were there. If I’d only known I would have introduced myself to all of you. Coulda had a few beers when the track went cold. Next time. I did finally have a nice face to face with Rick Betterly in the paddock. Great finally being able to chat in real life. Nice meeting you.
missed one of the great DE’s of the season. So glad I finally went and it will be an annual stop on my never ending track tour each season. So much track time. It’s not often I get to empty a full tank of fuel in 1 session.

Originally Posted by ProCoach (Post 15832436)
dgrobs, told you before, will tell you again. You CAN go as FAR as you want. You're accumulating time at a great rate, just need to reduce focus on lap times (too big a measure), increase focus on the best execution of fundamental skills, making each decision and execution in the car the best it can be, add some urgency (no slack time) and it'll come...

Paul has hit the nail on the head. Make the consistency SO good that ALL the laps are good, and the best ones even incrementally better. Each time, and if not each time, over time...

Few folks are as dedicated to the craft, invest in themselves, their cars, the resources they use to measure and quantify their improvement (human and machine) as Frank and Paul are, but they're seeing the results!

I've seen a lot of folks discount themselves due to how late they started, perceived lesser aptitude compared to more experienced friends/pros, any number of reasons. But with work, proper practice and highly targeted goals for EACH on track session possible in an environment like this one, and they can surprise themselves with how good they can become!

It's SO much fun when that happens...

Dgrobs, you truly humble me, thank you. My own perception of my driving skills is far from yours!! I see and feel every single mistake out there and use it as fuel to improve.

ProCoach, thank you, again truly humbled....

Bruce, my first time at the Glen I ran 23's, next time was 15's, then I stopped investing in the car in terms of parts and did two things. 1 you are already doing and that is accrue seat time in close succession. IMHO, the driver who has 300 hours with 10 hours a year over 30 years has far less feel than the driver who does 100 hours over 3 years but that is just me... 2. Get a coach! Working with top caliber coaches is impossible to replicate. The amount of information I have absorbed is mind blowing and I would have never understood the fundamentals prior to advancing if it wasn't for that coaching.

Then hang out with people like Frank and ProCoach at dinner!!! In all seriousness, the amount you learn at the track by just listening is mind blowing.

Finally execute. Execute on one thing at a time until the muscle memory makes it second nature and move on. The key to all of those laps at the Glen was not trying... In all seriousness, being able to relax in the car vs forcing it was a 2 second a difference lap... You are already ahead of where I was at your point!

Thank you again, really appreciate all the comments and feedback immensely.

dgrobs 05-10-2019 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Solk (Post 15832460)
Dgrobs, you truly humble me, thank you. My own perception of my driving skills is far from yours!! I see and feel every single mistake out there and use it as fuel to improve.

ProCoach, thank you, again truly humbled....

Bruce, my first time at the Glen I ran 23's, next time was 15's, then I stopped investing in the car in terms of parts and did two things. 1 you are already doing and that is accrue seat time in close succession. IMHO, the driver who has 300 hours with 10 hours a year over 30 years has far less feel than the driver who does 100 hours over 3 years but that is just me... 2. Get a coach! Working with top caliber coaches is impossible to replicate. The amount of information I have absorbed is mind blowing and I would have never understood the fundamentals prior to advancing if it wasn't for that coaching.

Then hang out with people like Frank and ProCoach at dinner!!! In all seriousness, the amount you learn at the track by just listening is mind blowing.

Finally execute. Execute on one thing at a time until the muscle memory makes it second nature and move on. The key to all of those laps at the Glen was not trying... In all seriousness, being able to relax in the car vs forcing it was a 2 second a difference lap... You are already ahead of where I was at your point!

Thank you again, really appreciate all the comments and feedback immensely.

Speaking words of wisdom, Let it Be.....

RickBetterley 05-10-2019 07:57 PM

Always a great event; I've been going for years and it never disappoints.
Excellent leadership group; always friendly and accommodating.

RickBetterley 05-10-2019 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by dgrobs

Bruce, it was great to meet you too.
See you at Tremblant!

Beantown Kman 05-10-2019 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by dgrobs (Post 15832090)
I didn't know that was you. We ran together. Yellow Cayman S with Black and Red striping. #694.You were very fast. I would have said hello. Next time......

Bruce, I was going to introduce myself but the line of people waiting to meet RL's newest celebrity was so long I figured I could wait until one of the 49 other track events you're going to attend this year. ;) Honestly, I figured there was still plenty of time left at the event to socialize. But lunch came and went and so did most of the drivers. I was on track until the bitter end. There were only 5 or 6 cars out there for the last hour. It was pretty sweet.

Paul's and Peter's words of advice are spot on. You are on the right path. Stick with it and you will surely reap the rewards.

dgrobs 05-12-2019 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman (Post 15832697)
Bruce, I was going to introduce myself but the line of people waiting to meet RL's newest celebrity was so long I figured I could waiy;)

I think I should start charging a cover just to meet me..LOL!!

It really is amazing to be around so many like minded people in one place. So cool...