Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Seen or Driven a Ginetta G55 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 08:22 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Anyone Seen or Driven a Ginetta G55 GT4?

I was recently searching listings on www.racingjunk.com and saw a Ginetta G55 GT4 for sale. I have never seen (or driven one) but it looks like an interesting setup with Alcon 6 piston front calipers, Motec ECU, etc. and at a reported 2,400 lbs seems like a great track car. I notice that they seem to have a much larger presence in Europe (I believe they are made in the U.K.?) but there is a Ginetta distributor in Miami Lakes, FL.

I'm curious, anyone have any experience with one of these? Are these legit track cars? I would love to know their safety, reliability, running costs, availability of parts/spares, etc,

I called the Ginetta office number in FL today which I found on their website to get more info but no answer. Strange.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:26 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Ian Lacy ran three of these in world challenge last year.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:23 AM
sstreime
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fun cars. Great under braking and in the tight stuff. Test drove one this past year at the Glen. To be fast in a race environment you have to be extremely aggressive taking advantage of its strengths. Straight line speed relatively speaking not being one of them.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:39 AM
TulaneAg
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

We have a Ginetta out at MSR Houston that has run a couple times during our de events. In the hands of the owner's coach it's incredibly fast.... In the hands of the owner it's incredibly slow. And apparently the window doesn't roll down because I've never seen an arm come out and give a passing signal .
Old 03-09-2019, 09:28 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

I tested in one at COTA a few years ago. The fit and finish is not great. Definitely not a Porsche factory race car like a clubsport or cup. Was fun to drive. Used a version of a ford v6. Like was stated above, you have to drive it hard to take advantage of its strengths.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:25 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

The G55 began as a Ginetta only Spec series in the UK. As Cory says, it’s a classic small-volume British sports car in assembly quality. Fun toy if you’re able to get a good deal.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:27 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

As with any small batch car, make sure that it uses consumables as well as breakable parts that can still be found.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:56 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The G55 began as a Ginetta only Spec series in the UK. As Cory says, it’s a classic small-volume British sports car in assembly quality. Fun toy if you’re able to get a good deal.
I recall reading about the factory's "buy the car and race it" UK series awhile back--don't know if that exists any longer....also, John Weisberg had one a few years back at the Glen for lapping days and was really high on its potential then--don't know if he actually got to racing it (but the way he drives I'm sure it would've been competitive ).

Gary
Old 03-09-2019, 11:36 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Carfection did a "How To Become A Race Driver" series last year; it followed a guy who goes from very little track experience to W2W Ginetta racing in a single season.

Spoiler Alert: He wrecked on the first day

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...MiT-i1-DZruUC-
Old 03-09-2019, 08:37 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Wow, lot's of good info here! Thank you. I plan to do a bit more research as it certainly has piqued my interest!

Thanks for sharing everyone.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:40 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
Carfection did a "How To Become A Race Driver" series last year; it followed a guy who goes from very little track experience to W2W Ginetta racing in a single season.

Spoiler Alert: He wrecked on the first day

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...MiT-i1-DZruUC-
Thanks for the link! I never heard of this series before. Seems like a good watch.

Quick Reply: Anyone Seen or Driven a Ginetta G55 GT4?