Sponsored by:

Melting brake sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 10:35 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 447 Likes on 332 Posts
Default Melting brake sensors

I put on new Hawk DCT 60's the morning for my DE at Summit Point this weekend. My mechanics (son) took a job in CA. He had always done the work before, said I was too slow. Anyway to the point. When I pulled the sensors they showed obvious evidence of melting, not rotor contact. Called my son after I finished and he said they were like that when he did pads last year. Not an OEM sensor; I think they are Sebro. I filed them a little and put them back. Thought I had new ones, but they are for the rear. We zipped tied the rear sensors out of the way last year. In hindsight think I should have done the same with the front sensors today, tied them out of the way. I check the pads several times a day but can't see the inside pad so always put back the front sensors as a backup. My inside pads always wear a little bit more than the outer. OEM front sensor are $43, PEX $13 and Sebro $10.50 from Pelican. Should I pull the sensors and tie them out of the way ASAP? Will any sensor, OEM or not, melt at track temps?

09 Boxster PDK w/Sport/Sport+
Old 03-06-2019, 10:49 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

No point in using sensors on racing pads. You’re checking pads several times a weekend and replacing sooner than you would on the street. Sensors dont offer any additional information or protection. Everyone zips ties. .
Old 03-06-2019, 11:06 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 447 Likes on 332 Posts

Thanks confirmed my belated thoughts.

Quick Reply: Melting brake sensors