Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderbolt rain line

Old 03-08-2019, 11:09 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Snowing in Millville on the drive down. Tapering off now. Gonna be a good weekend.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:00 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Great day, and I mean great day, at NJMP today. Perfect weather. Sunny. Highs near 50. Great driving etiquette (for the most part), and lots and lots of track time.
Heading out to Andreas with DTMiller and another buddy in 1/2 hour.
All in all, a great start to my season, and many other friends seasons as well. Forgot how addicted to this sport I really am.
Tomorrow looks to be highs in the low 60’s but wet in the morning with the wet clearing out around 10-11ish, so will probably sleep in tomorrow morning if it’s raining early.
With Chin, you can miss your first 1/2 hour run session and still get almost 3 hours of track time.
So much fun today. Great to see so many of my track buddies again after what seemed like an eternity of winter.
Till tomorrow then.....
Old 03-09-2019, 08:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Great day, and I mean great day, at NJMP today. Perfect weather. Sunny. Highs near 50. Great driving etiquette (for the most part), and lots and lots of track time.
All in all, a great start to my season, and many other friends seasons as well. Forgot how addicted to this sport I really am.
Tomorrow looks to be highs in the low 60’s but wet in the morning with the wet clearing out around 10-11ish, so will probably sleep in tomorrow morning if it’s raining early.
With Chin, you can miss your first 1/2 hour run session and still get almost 3 hours of track time.
So much fun today. Great to see so many of my track buddies again after what seemed like an eternity of winter.
Till tomorrow then.....
Chin's a fun deal, well run program. Please give Jim Pomroy my regards.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-10-2019, 12:12 AM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Till tomorrow then.....
Great to hear you guys got a day in. Good luck tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:06 AM
Rhythmaddict
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Till tomorrow then.....
Sleeping in = going to IHOP (for me)
Old 03-10-2019, 11:57 AM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

And valuable consumer advice: I can confirm winter tires do not work on track - I'm proud to have stayed on the track
Old 03-11-2019, 10:10 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

I had the great pleasure of riding right seat with rhythmaddict, crazyfast and dgrobs this weekend and had an absolute blast. Three very similar but also very different cars driven in tough conditions. Learned a little from each of them, and how to yell YEEHAWWWW in the Octopus from a driver to be named never. #neverbenotnineyearsold

Many thanks to the folks who weighed in on the rain line; was very useful on Sunday. I have to say I'm a little disappointed in NJMP's drainage. The water draining across the track hours after the rain had stopped at 10:30 kept the track mostly wet or damp until final checker at 5:30.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:35 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I had the great pleasure of riding right seat with rhythmaddict, crazyfast and dgrobs this weekend and had an absolute blast. Three very similar but also very different cars driven in tough conditions. Learned a little from each of them, and how to yell YEEHAWWWW in the Octopus from a driver to be named never. #neverbenotnineyearsold

Many thanks to the folks who weighed in on the rain line; was very useful on Sunday. I have to say I'm a little disappointed in NJMP's drainage. The water draining across the track hours after the rain had stopped at 10:30 kept the track mostly wet or damp until final checker at 5:30.
Never be not nine years old

Too funny. I see a fortune to be made in T shirts and bumper stickers.....

I thought it was a great weekend. Saturday was stellar and it was great to shake the cobwebs out after a long winter off season.

Sunday was wet but a great learning experience. Loved the way you worked with me (in my right seat) on using understeer and the "wet line" vs the "racing line". I learned a ton, and will never look at driving in the wet the same way again.

Learning to use understeer and oversteer to my advantage in the wet was awesome.Your advice and instruction was priceless. Once I realized that it was the worn in sealant that was slick as ice when wet, the track became a whole new ballgame.
So much fun using understeer and oversteer to slash seconds off the lap times.

I agree that I thought the track could have drained a little better when the rain stopped, but it was overcast and humid with little to no breeze, and I'm pretty sure that kept the track damp the remainder of the day.

Good to see some of my track buddies again. As much as I love skiing with the kids, winter has become "too long" for this track addict.

Thanks again for the instruction and advice. You have an open invitation to my right seat anytime. Open invitation.

Great opening weekend for this kid. The Octopus in the wet. Yeehawwwww indeed. Amazing how much more grip there was when "offline" and rimshotting the right. All part of the learning experience.

Thanks gain DTM. Anytime.....

Old 03-11-2019, 11:49 AM
CrazyFast
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never be not nine years old
Sunday was wet but a great learning experience. Loved the way you worked with me (in my right seat) on using understeer and the "wet line" vs the "racing line". I learned a ton, and will never look at driving in the wet the same way again.
You do realize that Dave started this thread to get some nuggets on the wet line... and then proceeds to act like a sage in the right seat!

Seriously though, great coaching - I just need to learn to listen more :-).

And, really fun weekend - look forward to the next event!
Old 03-11-2019, 12:07 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyFast
You do realize that Dave started this thread to get some nuggets on the wet line... and then proceeds to act like a sage in the right seat!

Seriously though, great coaching - I just need to learn to listen more :-).

And, really fun weekend - look forward to the next event!
Key word highlighted.

You can lead a horse to the higher grip line but you can't make him drive on it....
Old 03-11-2019, 12:16 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CrazyFast
You do realize that Dave started this thread to get some nuggets on the wet line...
Yes, that little nugget has not escaped me.

Also, was fun finally getting to kick YOUR a$$ (on Sunday)...

BTW, I try to take an instructor out at least one session per event. Always learn something new. You now agree?
Old 03-11-2019, 01:11 PM
Rhythmaddict
Instructor

Great weekend indeed!. Sat was a good clean day, although now I feel like I had more fun at 5/10ths on Sunday playing with correcting over/understeer...while getting flipped off incessantly.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:21 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rhythmaddict
Great weekend indeed!. Sat was a good clean day, although now I feel like I had more fun at 5/10ths on Sunday playing with correcting over/understeer...while getting flipped off incessantly.
Not sure I ever got home that fast from NJMP. Set my personal best for getting home from that track.
I can only imagine what the folks on the NJ TPKE were saying as 2 Caymans blew by them single file.
Guess your radar detector was working well.....
Old 03-11-2019, 08:15 PM
Rhythmaddict
Instructor

Not sure I ever got home that fast from NJMP. Set my personal best for getting home from that track.
I can only imagine what the folks on the NJ TPKE were saying as 2 Caymans blew by them single file.
Guess your radar detector was working well.....
Ha, well at least you set one personal best yesterday!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thunderbolt rain line