Sponsored by:

motorsport safety foundation hpde cerfification

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 08:26 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts
Default motorsport safety foundation hpde cerfification

anyone here have level 2 certification? ive been bmwcca national hpde instructor for 3 years and just took the msf level 1 online course. i assumed i would then be level 2 certified from the previous bmw course. but now theyre saying they dont know what will or will not be accepted. seems unreasonable to expect me to take another instructor course for msf. nothing wrong with more learning but still. anyone know whats up? thx
Old 03-04-2019, 09:31 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

This thing is a well-intentioned but unmitigated scam. Worthless.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:40 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

scam? theyre just taking your $50 for a photo id? hope not
Old 03-04-2019, 09:51 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
anyone here have level 2 certification? ive been bmwcca national hpde instructor for 3 years and just took the msf level 1 online course. i assumed i would then be level 2 certified from the previous bmw course. but now theyre saying they dont know what will or will not be accepted. seems unreasonable to expect me to take another instructor course for msf. nothing wrong with more learning but still. anyone know whats up? thx
I've been on the mentor side of the level 2 training and it was very robust. The role-playing scenarios are complicated and extensively correlated with expected ranges of students.

There's several hours of classroom work and several hours of on track role playing involved in the training. (I haven't done a BMW or PCA instructors clinic so I can't compare)

There is a vocal group who think it is a bad thing. They might even be right! But having been involved with it and seeing first hand what was involved, I would heartily recommend a level 2 course to someone who has the opportunity to take their first instructor course with one with the caveat that someone who doesn't currently instruct will learn a lot but will struggle with some of the scenarios. Many of the scenarios have subtle errors that someone new (and some experienced instructors -- ask me how I know) will have trouble identifying and fixing.

​​​​​​Whether it's right for you will depend heavily on your personality. As with most things, it's the A students who end up doing the extra credit assignment.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:52 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Read the previous thread posted in here. As a level one you get to pay yearly dues but nothing else. You can talk the talk but are not allowed to instruct a student on track. Even had one of their mucky'd'mucks do a drive by post on here with empty promises and no further responses.

https://www.motorsport-safety.org/initiatives/certified
Old 03-04-2019, 11:13 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

where is the level 2 training? i havent seen anything for that
Old 03-04-2019, 11:34 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Very skeptical - seems like rent seeking to me.

-Mike
Old 03-04-2019, 11:35 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
where is the level 2 training? i havent seen anything for that
Level 2 is conducted by organizations whose training program has been accredited by MSF. Chin, Hooked on Driving, several other groups have been accredited. Not all groups have found getting accredited worthwhile.

Last edited by DTMiller; 03-05-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:14 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

I like the idea to provide uniform instructor capability across track day offerings. L2 description sounds like the PCA course I went through a few years ago but no grandfathering is in place for that and years of instructing. I think instructing 10 events with Chin over some period of time after getting L1 will get you L2. Not sure when that expires.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:48 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have my Level II as our local PCA chapter is accredited by MSF. It does provide some uniformity to the program, as a whole IMO. There are clubs that don't recognize qualifications as instructor - meaning, Chin may not 'automatically' accept PCA instructors as their own - however, my understanding is that the MSF accreditation provides that continuity.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:14 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

The Level 1 online test is beautifully executed and really forces you to think. The membership lanyard/badge looks great (although I would never have occasion to wear it in public). Beyond that, the program offers little of substance. I was a mentor in the first year of Level 2 instruction for Chin. The instructor candidates universally failed to recognize and correct egregious student driver errors (missed apexes, early braking, multiple steering inputs in a turn, poor traffic management, failure to follow instruction). Yet, when it came time to discuss and evaluate their performance, all (or most of) the candidates were accepted and promoted. I can't speak for similar results with other clubs, but it was clear that Chin needed to fill instructor seats and had a very low bar set for acceptance. The Level 2 weekend also provided Chin with a profit opportunity, something they rarely miss.

MSF accreditation is not widely accepted. In fact, very few PCA chapters will recognize it when considering out-of-region instructors. The program has its heart in the right place, but the execution seems to have lost momentum. Promises have far outweighed results.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:48 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Given that most every instructor here has been through the pca national training, and more than a few of us are annual presenters or mentors in the pca program, I find it a solution looking for a problem. Maybe it has a place for those instructors who somehow never trained with a marque club.

(Am I mistaken that regions everywhere are as concientous about instructor training as we are in Zone 1?)

Chin previously required instructors to have proof that they completed their marque club national training, though I haven't instructed with them in a couple years.

Last edited by mhm993; 03-05-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:49 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
Chin previously required instructors to have proof that they completed their marque club national training, though I haven't instructed with them in a couple years.
They did when I started instructing with them around the 2016 time frame. Had to provide references to the local PCA CDI.

-Mike
Old 03-06-2019, 12:28 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman

MSF accreditation Promises have far outweighed results.
And we still don't know the unintended consequences... Certainly a solution looking for a problem

Old 03-06-2019, 06:32 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Everyone should have to go through CVR's Instructor training program.... that will weed out the dedicated from the not.

Quick Reply: motorsport safety foundation hpde cerfification