Sponsored by:

SFI suit, I need to buy one for a race at Daytona in April

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 07:46 PM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts
Default SFI suit, I need to buy one for a race at Daytona in April

Hi my current suit is a bit too heavy to wear in the weather in Daytona in April. I would like some advice on what type of suit is the most lightweight and if anybody has any specific recommendations. It's going to be a 14 hour endurance race so probably two two hour stints.
Thanks for the help
Old 03-02-2019, 08:20 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Stand 21 aramid suits are like wearing PJ's to the circuit. Excellent airflow, light weight, and super comfortable.

One thing to watch out for is Velcro will pull loops out of the fabric if you are not careful.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:15 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I think you'll find any of the line suits to be lightweight and breathable. I know the Stand21 and OMP are. I believe the Sabelt, Sparco, and others to be similar or the same.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:05 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default lightweight suits

gotta watch on lightweight suits. had a

customer purchase a very lightweight suit from a competitor. he said it definitely was lightweight but the fabric did not breathe felt like he was wearing a garbage bag.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:27 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

What suit?
Old 03-03-2019, 08:52 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance

customer purchase a very lightweight suit from a competitor. he said it definitely was lightweight but the fabric did not breathe felt like he was wearing a garbage bag.

Interesting. I think that is where the smart consumer buys from someone like you that has touched, handled, and worked with the product.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:03 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

it was a sparco but I forget the model.

when handling a suit, put it up to your face and blow on the fabric you should feel your breath on the opposite side of the fabric.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:54 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Stand 21 aramid suits are like wearing PJ's to the circuit. Excellent airflow, light weight, and super comfortable.

One thing to watch out for is Velcro will pull loops out of the fabric if you are not careful.
Originally Posted by ApexPerformance

It is something to consider. I love my Stand 21. Even the small amount of wind that gets into the cockpit blows through it which is great but what happens if the cool air turns to hot gasses. Just because the material doesn't burn doesn't mean you won't get burnt. I wear my underwear on all but the hottest days for this reason but I've never seen any test data.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:26 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I've been at Willow Springs once in May and survived with my Stand 21 suit. Not even a bathing suit can make one feel comfortable in the California desert in May, but the suit was OK. Completely wet by end of the day.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:41 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sbelles
It is something to consider. I love my Stand 21. Even the small amount of wind that gets into the cockpit blows through it which is great but what happens if the cool air turns to hot gasses. Just because the material doesn't burn doesn't mean you won't get burnt. I wear my underwear on all but the hottest days for this reason but I've never seen any test data.

one of the professional race coaches that's our customer got one of the omp suirs with the dry system technology and uses the OMP dry system underwear with it. said it works great.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:03 AM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Does anyone have any experience with Alpine stars GP Tech suit? Looks to be a reasonable alternative
Apex I have called and left a message and tried to get in touch with you but I'm not having too much luck.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

I can recommend OG racing as a great resource on all safety gear including suits. I bought my first suit from them in 1995. There have been a lot of technical developments in the fabrics since then.

Bill Love and Mark Francis are great resources at OG Racing. They have a lot of experience and are great supporters of our hobby.

I have also patronized Apex and Northstar during my 30 years with this hobby. We are lucky to have all of them.

I am currently using a Sparco Eagle, and it works very well in the California heat. The Hocotex material works well for me.

I have been to Sparco HQ in SoCal. They do custom fitting and are about 5 minutes away from the OC airport.

Two of the things I learned a long time ago is that for me, the driver cooling system is tantamount, and my needs are usually more pressing during races, as opposed to testing, WU and Quali.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:15 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool shirt... works like a charm. It is amazing how much heat the body generates because the ice does not last very long.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:24 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by maspirito
Does anyone have any experience with Alpine stars GP Tech suit? Looks to be a reasonable alternative
Apex I have called and left a message and tried to get in touch with you but I'm not having too much luck.

I have the Alpinestars GP Tech suit and it's fantastic. Fits me well, light, breathable, and makes the August VIR 2-hour chump stints bearable. Also, I find the build quality much better than my old Sparco suit. I had the zipper fail on the Sparco suite twice. This has been going strong for 2 seasons.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:36 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paddy
I have the Alpinestars GP Tech suit and it's fantastic. Fits me well, light, breathable, and makes the August VIR 2-hour chump stints bearable. Also, I find the build quality much better than my old Sparco suit. I had the zipper fail on the Sparco suite twice. This has been going strong for 2 seasons.

sorry we are at amelia island. back Monday.

Quick Reply: SFI suit, I need to buy one for a race at Daytona in April