Sponsored by:

Track liability coverage

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 08:24 AM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Track liability coverage

OpenTrack is offering on-track liability coverage. Covers1M in damage for$1k. My understanding is we're all responsible for our own cars while on a track. So I'm wondering if it's worth it. What do you think?
Old 03-01-2019, 09:24 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

thats a lot of kitty litter and even some armco....
Old 03-01-2019, 09:57 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Deansdream
OpenTrack is offering on-track liability coverage. Covers1M in damage for$1k. My understanding is we're all responsible for our own cars while on a track. So I'm wondering if it's worth it. What do you think?
How long does that coverage last? Is that per event or per year? Why would you possibly need $1,000,000 in coverage??? Planning on taking your Huayra out for a few laps?
Old 03-01-2019, 10:14 AM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 208 Posts

It's per year. Too much for the Glen's kitty litter and armco. Maybe covering injury to another person would make it worthwhile? Or does the PCA insurance cover that?
Old 03-01-2019, 11:28 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Isn't that what PCA covers?
Old 03-01-2019, 11:36 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

PCA has $15m in liability coverage for anybody that signs the waiver.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:22 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I had it I think I'd keep it a secret, if some others know they will surely try their best to make use of it as bad as on the street.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:35 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,286 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Keep in mind that even when there is separate liability insurance in place you are still going to get named in the lawsuit if someone decides to go that route. First day of law school - if there is a warm body you add them to the law suit. Unless you wholly trust the insurance company to protect your interest the prudent thing to do is hire an attorney to monitor the case. This costs money.

While having a separate policy, on top of the PCA $15M is not necessary, it is sometimes nice to have belt and suspenders.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
While having a separate policy, on top of the PCA $15M is not necessary, it is sometimes nice to have belt and suspenders.
+1 It’s not the coverage of track damage that makes this worthwhile so much as the added protection from those that may not feel this is a genteel leisure activity with associated unwritten rules of etiquette.. Further, inadvertently one may be responsible for serious harm to another. Inadvertence doesn’t relieve one of potential legal liability.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts
Default $10M/$1M/$100k

From PCA Web Site: https://www.pca.org/resource/event-l...verage-summary

General Description:
This general liability insurance coverage is intended to protect PCA and its chartered regions and their members, event officials/instructors, drivers, crews, and other event participants, as well as event site landowners/managers/lessors and event racing vehicle owners and sponsors, and event sponsors from bodily injury, property damage, personal injury or advertising claims arising out of a covered incident at a PCA moving car or non- moving car (meetings, concours, etc.) event.
Type of Coverage:
Bodily Injury Liability, Property Damage Liability, Participant Legal Liability,
Contractual Liability, Products Liability,
Personal Injury and Advertising Liability,
Host Liquor Liability; Mobile Equipment Liability Limits: $10,000,000 Per event

Medical Professional Liability (Excess) Limits: $1,000,000 Per event

Event Officials’ Errors and OmissionsCoverage regarding rules enforcement Limits: $100,000 Per event
Exclusions:
Exclusions include, but are not limited to the following:Moving car events where no effective system is in effect to collect Release and Waiver forms or where members of the general public are permitted to enter restricted areas without signing Release and Waiver forms, as well as concerts, amusement rides, thrill shows, etc.
Check with Home Owners policy, you may be able to get better personal liability coverage as an adder to Home Owners for less scratch. Auto Policy will most likely not cover track liability, as that "use" is excluded. Check with you agent to make sure of coverage. Insure your net worth so they fight on your behalf to not write such a check or cover the settlement.

This is why Event Officials need to be diligent in following / requiring PCA rules, otherwise the coverage is only $100k for Omissions... So next time, do as they say and keep the whining about the rules to yourself.

This is to backstop the organizers and participants from liability claims that may be attempted, not used to pay for kitty litter or armco, medical, or car damage, that is all on the drover... read the wavier you sign.

https://www.pca.org/sites/default/fi...TY-PCA2009.pdf

Old 03-02-2019, 12:43 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 447 Likes on 332 Posts

Started DEing in Oct 2017. I've gotten track day insurance from Lockton Motorsport for the car, not liability. PCA has the liability insurance which is why everyone including spectators signs the waiver. Lockton has a discount if you pay for six events, basically you get one weekend free. I got an online quote from Hagerty which was equivalent to the Lockton price. No multiple event discounts from Hagerty. Hagerty does offer a separate rider for clean-up (bags of speedy dry). Good question but I don't think I'm liable for the Armco or tire wall, only environmental clean-up.

09 Boxster PDK w/Sport/Sport+
Old 03-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
From PCA Web Site: https://www.pca.org/resource/event-l...verage-summary

General Description:
This general liability insurance coverage is intended to protect PCA and its chartered regions and their members, event officials/instructors, drivers, crews, and other event participants, as well as event site landowners/managers/lessors and event racing vehicle owners and sponsors, and event sponsors from bodily injury, property damage, personal injury or advertising claims arising out of a covered incident at a PCA moving car or non- moving car (meetings, concours, etc.) event.
Type of Coverage:
Bodily Injury Liability, Property Damage Liability, Participant Legal Liability,
Contractual Liability, Products Liability,
Personal Injury and Advertising Liability,
Host Liquor Liability; Mobile Equipment Liability Limits: $10,000,000 Per event

Medical Professional Liability (Excess) Limits: $1,000,000 Per event

Event Officials’ Errors and OmissionsCoverage regarding rules enforcement Limits: $100,000 Per event
Exclusions:
Exclusions include, but are not limited to the following:Moving car events where no effective system is in effect to collect Release and Waiver forms or where members of the general public are permitted to enter restricted areas without signing Release and Waiver forms, as well as concerts, amusement rides, thrill shows, etc.
Check with Home Owners policy, you may be able to get better personal liability coverage as an adder to Home Owners for less scratch. Auto Policy will most likely not cover track liability, as that "use" is excluded. Check with you agent to make sure of coverage. Insure your net worth so they fight on your behalf to not write such a check or cover the settlement.

This is why Event Officials need to be diligent in following / requiring PCA rules, otherwise the coverage is only $100k for Omissions... So next time, do as they say and keep the whining about the rules to yourself.

This is to backstop the organizers and participants from liability claims that may be attempted, not used to pay for kitty litter or armco, medical, or car damage, that is all on the drover... read the wavier you sign.

https://www.pca.org/sites/default/fi...TY-PCA2009.pdf

Thanks for posting! For 2019 the limit is increased to $15M.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:41 PM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i ran a property-casualty insurance company (not an agency but the actual insurer) for many years. Homeowner policies normally have an automobile exclusion although it may define an auto as licensed for road use. I'm be interested in knowing how often the waiver holds up or fails in a court of law. I'd also want to read all of the exclusions to make certain there aren't any others that might remove coverage for participants, as opposed to coverage for PCA, officials, etc.), for Bodily Injury of Property Damage to fellow participants or their cars. Not saying it does, but relative to insurance coverage there's a saying, "The big print giveth and the small print taketh away."
Old 05-03-2022, 10:24 PM
DLRInsurance
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many On-track insurance packages which cover accidental damage to your car. Basically, track day insurance is different from standard car insurance and gives cover when car sustains damage during a track event. I would agree here. when you go on track (signs warn that you are 'at your own risk'), but there are some situations on certain metrices. Here standard car insurance would help you in a better way. The main concern is is of right coverage at the right price.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:45 AM
PhillyGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought I would add a few items here as my insurance agency represents OpenTrack. The big thing with OpenTrack including liability coverage is it covers not only damage to track property, but it covers damage to another driver on-track... for both property damage (fix their car) and bodily injury.

The property damage is nice to have if you cause damage to another driver. You can offer to fix their car w/ the liability policy if you're liable for the damage. This could save tens-of-thousands in out-of-pocket expense you, as the insured or for the damaged party.

The bodily injury is less frequent but obviously has the potential to be a significant loss. When someone asks "why would I need $1M of coverage"... the answer is bodily injury. If your actions cause another driver on-track to crash and that results in them getting injured, the claim could get very big very fast.

I hope this helps a bit. If I can help in anyway, please feel free to reach out. We offer Open Track insurance anywhere in the country.

Here is my own link to quote and purchase insurance through OpenTrack.

https://app.opentrack.com/v3/quotes/...rance_Advisors

Help support a fellow track junkie.

Have a nice day everyone!

The following users liked this post:
stantaur (06-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Track liability coverage