Sponsored by:

Is risk entirely bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 10:02 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The paper goes further than that, and argues that the risk is part of the appeal - there can be too much risk, but there can also be too little.
If you haven't, check out the NatGeo movie Free Solo about the guy that climbed El Capitan in Yosemite with no ropes. They do an MRI and his "risk tolerance" area of his brain is slower to respond and reacts less to risk than average bear....
Old 03-02-2019, 10:18 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

I saw chunks of that movie and even knowing the guy lived watching it was too stressful for me.

So I guess I'll never be a world class climber.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:29 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Fumes
If you haven't, check out the NatGeo movie Free Solo about the guy that climbed El Capitan in Yosemite with no ropes. They do an MRI and his "risk tolerance" area of his brain is slower to respond and reacts less to risk than average bear....
If you want to explore how that happens, check out the Red Bull performance center. Not open to you or I, but you can learn how they change people's outlook, hormones, and risk tolerance. There are some great stories about Felix Baumgartner (sp?) Skydiving from outer space.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:55 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

This starts and ends with brain chemistry. There's a squirt of some neuro-transmitter that, depending on the person, feels good or bad whenever risk is encountered.
Some of us are wired to be "brain bored" a lot and the focusing intensity of risky activity feels good.

Free solo...that's another thing entirely.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:19 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Wait you’re saying DO NOT count on being lucky? Don’t do that??

Luck is like...my entire strategy.

Do you want to say you were lucky to win the enduro at Sebring or that you outperformed everyone else?

Originally Posted by Manifold
The paper goes further than that, and argues that the risk is part of the appeal - there can be too much risk, but there can also be too little.
Sure, that is absolutely the other side of the coin.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:44 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
it is not just risk and how you manage it but also how you perceive fear. I am going to watch Free Solo this weekend and was reading this article which talks about it:
http://nautil.us/issue/39/sport/the-strange-brain-of-the-worlds-greatest-solo-climber
Originally Posted by DTMiller
I saw chunks of that movie and even knowing the guy lived watching it was too stressful for me.

So I guess I'll never be a world class climber.
Originally Posted by mhm993
This starts and ends with brain chemistry. There's a squirt of some neuro-transmitter that, depending on the person, feels good or bad whenever risk is encountered.
Some of us are wired to be "brain bored" a lot and the focusing intensity of risky activity feels good.

Free solo...that's another thing entirely.
Part of me has long dreamed of doing serious rock climbing, but it's easy for me to contemplate falling to my death, so the perceived risk level is just too high for me. When I compare with driving on track, I know that the chance of crashing and messing up my car isn't low (haven't crashed yet), but the chance of my being significantly injured if I crash is low, and chance of dying if I crash is quite low. So the actual risk seems to be lower than my in-the-moment perceived risk, which is a good combo.

Honnold's brain wiring and chemistry to seems to be out there, and I'm not sure I'd want to instruct someone like that on track. But he'd probably do very well in racing.

This passage from the article resonates with me as largely explaining the need to get closer to the edge and pursue faster lap times, and why doing the same ol' lap can eventually get a little boring:

Yet he also tells me that easier, day-to-day soloing (the kind that most rock climbers would still consider to be an extreme activity) has lost some of its novelty, and even life-list solos sometimes leave him underwhelmed. “I didn’t find it as fulfilling as I’d hoped,” Honnold has written about an all-day solo link-up of three difficult routes. “People might expect these kinds of climbing achievements to generate euphoria, but in fact I seem to experience the opposite.”

I plan to watch Free Solo. Hopefully, it won't terrify me too much. Meanwhile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iM6M_7wBMc

Last edited by Manifold; 03-03-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:56 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

All addictions (drugs, alcohol, sugar, money, fame, recognition, experiences, thrill, approval, risk, adrenaline, dopamine, serotonin, etc.) require ever higher doses for maintaining the same level of satisfaction (happiness). There exists satisfaction (happiness) which is detached from this hedonic treadmill.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:34 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

I watched Free Solo yesterday. Seems to me that climbing without a safety rope doesn't make the task of climbing more difficult, but it increases the consequence of a significant mistake to certain death. That would be analogous to having 1000' cliffs along both edges of track, so that if you go off you die. That may intensify the driving experience and sense of accomplishment, but it seems a bit foolish to voluntarily increase the consequence of error to certain death, without even making the task itself more difficult in the first place. If a guy came to the track and said "I want to drive without a helmet, no seat belt, airbags disengaged, and a metal bar a few inches from my head, because the added risk makes driving more fun for me," we all know what we'd say to that guy.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:57 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Ha, yes. Except our free solo comrades, maybe ...

Quick Reply: Is risk entirely bad?