Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Db's down to 88

Old 02-27-2019, 03:21 PM
John Montgomery
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Getting Db's down to 88

As is already well documented here, Lime Rock Park race track is strictly enforcing an 88Db limit at the track so I had to sit out most of the two day session last year. I have a Fabspeed header/muffler package on my GT4 - can anyone recommend a solution (like a temporary auxiliary silencer) that can help lower noise levels. Not interested in Brillo pads or Supertrap thanks (and I have tried turndowns). Any experience with Akropovic noise reduction insert or FloPro Twister?. Thank you.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:35 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe not the direction you want to go - but different Fabspeed muffler would do it. I run FS headers, catless cross pipe, and Maxflo without issue - if I were to keep the same system and move to Supercups it would be past the limit.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:07 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It depends on the car. Speak to Spensor at Speed Sport or Dan at Hairy Dog Garage my first thought. They will help you
Old 02-27-2019, 07:19 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Remove the engine
Old 02-27-2019, 07:43 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 02-27-2019, 08:59 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you just swap the stock mufflers back on for Limerock? My Vette has straight pipes, and I just get it on the lift and put the mufflers back on for Limerock and Palmer.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:33 AM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

John, do bear in mind that many of us with stock exhausts - GT3 and GT4 - got black flagged at LRP last year at the Metro and other PCA events as well. Lifting can help, but it isn’t foolproof. If they are in the mood to claim “atmospheric conditions” it seems they will. A great shame.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:11 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I run a 2010 gt3 with stock side exhaust but GMG center exhaust. It's loud but I've run Lime Rock with no issue. Do you still retain the stock exhaust switch and switchable baffles on your gt4 (sport mode button controls this)? You can pull the vac hoses to those exhaust baffle door actuators and cap the line. That will force the baffles to stay closed (quieter).
Old 02-28-2019, 02:46 PM
John Montgomery
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997_rich
I run a 2010 gt3 with stock side exhaust but GMG center exhaust. It's loud but I've run Lime Rock with no issue. Do you still retain the stock exhaust switch and switchable baffles on your gt4 (sport mode button controls this)? You can pull the vac hoses to those exhaust baffle door actuators and cap the line. That will force the baffles to stay closed (quieter).
Thanks - I had to dump the switchable baffles because if you keep them closed at high revs, the valves burn out. I also now have bigger diameter over-pipes which would not fit into the stock muffler.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:47 PM
John Montgomery
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Banango
John, do bear in mind that many of us with stock exhausts - GT3 and GT4 - got black flagged at LRP last year at the Metro and other PCA events as well. Lifting can help, but it isn’t foolproof. If they are in the mood to claim “atmospheric conditions” it seems they will. A great shame.
You're right - but its worth a try, it would be a shame to leave LRP off the schedule..
Old 02-28-2019, 02:49 PM
John Montgomery
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
Can you just swap the stock mufflers back on for Limerock? My Vette has straight pipes, and I just get it on the lift and put the mufflers back on for Limerock and Palmer.
I have larger diameter headers and over pipes which unfortunately don't fit into the stock muffler - and unfortunately even stock GT4's got black flagged as soon as their baffles opened at high revs..
Old 02-28-2019, 02:51 PM
John Montgomery
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsics
Now that looks like it will quieten things down a bit - and brew a little moonshine between track sessions..
Old 02-28-2019, 03:22 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget that are several unmuffled days at LRP per season. NASA, SCDA, and HOD all have at least 2 days there this year I believe unmuffled. I usually just try and go to toss events rather than sweating the sound level.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:23 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't know how you deal with 88db. I think a bone stock Cayman is around that at WOT.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:28 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

I have an additional muffler that attaches off the stock tailpipe just for LRP. 2 bolts and 2 minutes to put on. Bela at EPS (in Watertown, CT) did the setup, and runs this on most of his cars; works really well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting Db's down to 88