Sponsored by:

Off-line corner entry

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 10:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I'm saying there's more to it. I agree that not every corner is threshold, including T10 (South Bend) at VIR. I also am not surprised that his coach braked harder, quicker than he did in other corners...

What you do 50-100 feet into the brake zone doesn't affect corner entry speed. That comes later, for some brake zones, a LOT later.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-27-2019, 11:04 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I'm saying there's more to it. I agree that not every corner is threshold, including T10 (South Bend) at VIR. I also am not surprised that his coach braked harder, quicker than he did in other corners...

What you do 50-100 feet into the brake zone doesn't affect corner entry speed. That comes later, for some brake zones, a LOT later.
"there's more to it" would be a good summation of what I learned.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:19 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Got to love how everyone talks around in a circle picking at the edges just because folks contribute that arent PCA club racers and part of the gang around here.

Congrats Rennlist.

You manage weight transfer during the transitions ON and OFF the brakes. Not while centered dead in the middle of a braking zone. I am outta here,
You should stay, there's a lot of subtlety between ON and OFF. Seriously, it's a good discussion.

I've attached the Dunning-Kruger curve here which is IMHO relevant to a lot of these discussions. The more you know, the less you know... until you know more. And the only time you're absolutely certain is when you know next to nothing.

I read all these threads with an open mind and always learn something. Sometimes it's simply that someone is discussing a well known concept in a different way, and that alone has value.

Oh, and Frank can drive and I think he was just being sincere - not pejorative - with his comment(s). Anyway, sorry your feelings got hurt.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:28 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I think answer to op question and why this thread started is every track driver needs to understand the conceptual rules of the road engrained and repeated as often as what the flags mean.

be predictable
presenting your car
maintaining your lane
racing room
Old 02-28-2019, 01:22 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've attached the Dunning-Kruger curve here which is IMHO relevant to a lot of these discussions. The more you know, the less you know... until you know more. And the only time you're absolutely certain is when you know next to nothing.

Thanks Matt, the curve is an eye opener!
Old 02-28-2019, 08:14 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Yes that was my point, too. What he learned can pay big dividends anywhere
Old 02-28-2019, 10:05 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
I am outta here,
Stay. Listen. Learn. Love. Stay.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:29 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll just leave this here... (at the start my overtakes were pretty conservative because the team just spent all night repairing the car and I wasn't sure everything was going to work ):

I approach all racing overtakes (or being overtaken) the same no matter where I'm racing (club or pro). However, in the "pro" races I'm much more willing to risk touching/contact.

When I'm overtaking a car that's about equal lap time to myself (eg: tough pass) I tend to try to keep my car hidden or not easy to see to keep them guessing, but when I know I'll be overlapping them *at all* I immediately try to get my car into a position that there's no reasonable way they won't know I'm there.. even if that means rolling into a corner a little quicker and sacrificing the exit (there's other tricks you can do in the mid corner to effect the other car to make it a wash).

When I'm overtaking a car that's a good amount slower than me and I catch them really fast, I make sure my car is seen easily as much as possible so they realize how much quicker I am and how quickly I caught them. In most cases a decent or heads up driver will make it easy for you because they're just going to slow themselves down trying to defend you.

Don't apply any of this to DE overtaking, please. :-)

-mike
Old 02-28-2019, 08:36 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good explanation and great passes to illustrate.
Thanks Mke

Quick Reply: Off-line corner entry