Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."
Watch more hockey.....
Old 03-03-2019, 10:18 AM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ignoring some of the "off the point posts" i found this thread interesting. I run in black at Sebring often and have on occasion taken a pass and gone into turn 7 two abreast. During the PCA Instructor Weekend we practiced going through all the turns two cars next to each other so I'm not uncomfortable doing so. This thread has me question whether it's worth taking the risk. As mentioned, we're there to have fun and we're not racing. Also, I don't buy track insurance so I'm self-insuring my car. In the future, I'm going to decline a point by that would cause me to go into 7 off line.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:45 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Turn 7 at Sebring is a perfect breeding ground for trouble. My low-HP Boxster is bright blue and people can see it coming in the rear-view mirror. There is a tendency to assume it is faster that it is...and, often, I will get an early point-by as we approach the braking zone. But it takes me a while to get there and, as I barrel down the inside, now deep in the braking zone, I often wonder if the driver being passed will still honor the point he/she gave. Sebring Roulette.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:11 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,275 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Turn 7 at Sebring is a perfect breeding ground for trouble. My low-HP Boxster is bright blue and people can see it coming in the rear-view mirror. There is a tendency to assume it is faster that it is...and, often, I will get an early point-by as we approach the braking zone. But it takes me a while to get there and, as I barrel down the inside, now deep in the braking zone, I often wonder if the driver being passed will still honor the point he/she gave. Sebring Roulette.
Whenever someone fails to lift and takes the next turn I always wait for another point-by. I learned that lesson the hard way once with an "almost" bad story.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:54 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Whenever someone fails to lift and takes the next turn I always wait for another point-by. I learned that lesson the hard way once with an "almost" bad story.
A good trick taught to me by Skippy instructors is to always take inside passes by getting very close beside the passed car. This makes you more visible to them as you fill out their side mirror at all times and they also see your nose much sooner (at a better angle) as you come out ahead. In terms of race-craft, this keeps the passed car pinned to the outside and gives you more options (more track) and the advantage of choosing the timing and the angle of the turn-in that suits you best -- for optimal corner entry, speed, and exit. He can only turn in AFTER you do. Finally, even if the passed car decides to move into you (or doesn't see you there), there is only a small distance before he finds out that you are there -- the contact will be a mere a brush instead of a full on hit if you were two car widths away inside the turn. Much safer for both parties.

I've observed that most good racers use this method most of the time. Of course, this is less relevant for DE and concerns mostly racing but I've often seen it done in the fast DE run groups (black, red) of my local region (CVR) where incidents like seen in the OP would be extremely rare, if not non-existent.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:15 PM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Turn 7 trouble at Sebring

I agree, Sebring’s turn 7 can be trouble. I only raced the Sebring 12hr twice and both times our race almost came to grief in the Hairpin (’52-’82).
In the ’77 photo, I had gotten alongside Greenwood under braking, but the Corvette moved over to take the turn. I went for the grass to avoid getting hit. I survived and we finished 1st overall.
The other time I got into trouble was in ’75, just 15 minutes before the finish. I caught a slower car which was running right in the middle of the track between 6 and 7. I had driven a total of eight hours and I was tired. I decided to pass on the left, got my nose in, just as he moved left. I went to the grass, tried to manage it, but spun all the way to the Hairpin, luckily headed in the right direction. Sometimes it pays to bail out. We finished 2nd place overall to the factory BMW of Redman, Stuck, Posey and Moffat. Regarding hand signals, few were given in my day and problems between drivers were handled on the track or in the pits right away.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:01 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 612 Likes on 300 Posts

Love the 70s era picture as a fan those were the days
Rich
Old 03-03-2019, 08:23 PM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RichFL
Ignoring some of the "off the point posts" i found this thread interesting. I run in black at Sebring often and have on occasion taken a pass and gone into turn 7 two abreast. During the PCA Instructor Weekend we practiced going through all the turns two cars next to each other so I'm not uncomfortable doing so. This thread has me question whether it's worth taking the risk. As mentioned, we're there to have fun and we're not racing. Also, I don't buy track insurance so I'm self-insuring my car. In the future, I'm going to decline a point by that would cause me to go into 7 off line.
Which is why there is a white group, nothing wrong with staying there until you feel comfortable sharing corners fifty fifty.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:12 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
No, you missed it. This is the correct reference!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN-aXzpQUdw
dang it thats right, sgt tells him "lighten up" frick, next time
Old 03-03-2019, 09:20 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1111
Which is why there is a white group, nothing wrong with staying there until you feel comfortable sharing corners fifty fifty.
this.

(This thread has certainly taken offtopic turns).

Old 03-04-2019, 02:49 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

I usually run with friends in black. We run off line and half track to get the experience and know how fast the car can go through and still stick. I moved to Pink for this event because I’ve seen a few people not ready for full course passing running in black throughout the year. The added volume in the Feb event increases the risk of a bad situation. Not sure if it’s an ego thing about wanting to move out of white but a few drivers drive like black has the same passing restrictions. Full course passing with a point by is just that. The only difference between pink and black is supposed to be pace. Nothing wrong with staying in white if you want to pass and be passed in the straights. Weigh the risk and make a choice. Some of us have done that and having people on track with two sets of assumptions is what makes it dangerous.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:03 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by CDinSing
I usually run with friends in black. We run off line and half track to get the experience and know how fast the car can go through and still stick. I moved to Pink for this event because I’ve seen a few people not ready for full course passing running in black throughout the year. The added volume in the Feb event increases the risk of a bad situation. Not sure if it’s an ego thing about wanting to move out of white but a few drivers drive like black has the same passing restrictions. Full course passing with a point by is just that. The only difference between pink and black is supposed to be pace. Nothing wrong with staying in white if you want to pass and be passed in the straights. Weigh the risk and make a choice. Some of us have done that and having people on track with two sets of assumptions is what makes it dangerous.
Great post...
Old 03-04-2019, 03:22 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Great post...
+1

Old 03-05-2019, 12:48 PM
CrazyFast
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
A good trick taught to me by Skippy instructors is to always take inside passes by getting very close beside the passed car. This makes you more visible to them as you fill out their side mirror at all times and they also see your nose much sooner (at a better angle) as you come out ahead. In terms of race-craft, this keeps the passed car pinned to the outside and gives you more options (more track) and the advantage of choosing the timing and the angle of the turn-in that suits you best -- for optimal corner entry, speed, and exit. He can only turn in AFTER you do. Finally, even if the passed car decides to move into you (or doesn't see you there), there is only a small distance before he finds out that you are there -- the contact will be a mere a brush instead of a full on hit if you were two car widths away inside the turn. Much safer for both parties.

I've observed that most good racers use this method most of the time. Of course, this is less relevant for DE and concerns mostly racing but I've often seen it done in the fast DE run groups (black, red) of my local region (CVR) where incidents like seen in the OP would be extremely rare, if not non-existent.
hf1 - this is my understanding as well as to how a proper pass should be done in a racing situation to "lock in" the driver being passed. Question though is for DE - how much room is proper to give the car being passed? Clearly 6 inches (or at least what feels like 6 inches) I might use during a race is a too tight, but if I give him a car and a half, I'll be seriously off line and really slow down the corner.

Is it just a judgement call based on the corner / driver / speed? Any rules of thumb you use?
Old 03-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 143 Posts

Rule of thumb- Its DE give as much as you can . Fill his mirrors before the pass so he knows you are there and then give him as much room as you can without upsetting your car to much.Give hime a nice peek in his left side mirror then right and then pass, Again its DE if you are slower in a turn because you were more off line or checked your speed a littlie anticipating the worst, him moving over who cares. The checker means session over not that there will be trophy ,champagne and sponsors at the finish

All of this might doesn't apply to PL situation that was RED Mist/Really bad judgement on the passing car

Quick Reply: Sebring Punt