Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Crash Damage Responsibility?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 12:17 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I think the car is the cheapest part of racing. Being non-professional racers how does one protect from this situation and an accusation of your improper car prep that you own and the other guy got hurt in? I can't even find liability insurance for myself outside the SCCA policy that lists me as an additional insured. Are people sharing cars doing enduros and such just taking on unknown financial risk?

I was in the middle of posting something similar. The risk exposure, in this case, is massive and generally impossible or difficult to fully insure against.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:18 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe T
Interested to see how the RL community views the issue of crash damage responsibility. I'm not asking for opinions on the letter of the law but on what folks feel is the right thing to do. I must be snake bitten because in 3 of the last 4 PCA races I've brought my own car I've been hit through no fault of my own. It's really putting a sour taste in my mouth for racing and racing with PCA. I was hit at Sebring in 2017 in turn 10 by a driver that was over ambitious passing the car behind me not knowing there was another car in the corner. He promptly admitted his fault and paid for the repairs to my car. Got hit again at Sebring a few weeks ago in turn 13 by a driver that couldn't explain what happened as he wasn't remotely close enough to make a pass and admitted his fault. It was a pretty hard hit and the repair bill is staggering (likely north of $60k - both right side wheels, right rear upright, right rear shock, right rear axle, oil tank, right front toe link, steering rack and a fair amount of body work). This is a driver that has the wherewithal to pay for his mistake but has so far been silent. What do people here think is the right thing to do? These kind (cost) of repairs because of other's mistakes (brain fade for the most part) has me seriously reconsidering if racing is worth it. It's no fun to go out and get hammered and then have to pay huge repair bills.
If you cant afford to race dont race.

Period.

Doenst matter whos at fault, why it happened, knucklehead driver, over aggressive, rude, cant drive....

Each time you get on the track you risk your life and your car. Its racing and this is how it is and has to be.

Sounds like you need to drive HPDEs. New Snowflake rules in 2019 like blinkers for passing, windows up so you can run AC (and miss flying debris) and of course listen to your radio. And, No passing in corners.

It does suck when you crash and its not your fault. But this is the way it is and has to be.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:21 PM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
New Snowflake rules in 2019 although blinkers for passing.
I think all participants in DEs with blinky passing shd get trophys....
Old 02-22-2019, 12:35 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,275 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Fumes
how to protect? easy. if you ask someone to drive your car to help set it up or something, and they wreck, or brakes fail, or get hit by a meteor, you're on the hook.

If you let someone drive who wants to, or have a co-driver in an enduro. or whatever --- then you need an agreement ahead of time. Whether people will actually stick to it and what your remedies are when they flake...paging Luigi...call your office....
Here is the thing - oral contracts and written contracts are equally enforceable under the law. The difference is that when you have something in writing there is not as much ambiguity about what was agreed upon.

Good fences make for good neighbors and good contracts make for good partnerships.

If you share a car put the terms in writing. My insurance policy allows me to name other drivers so I am covered when a pro drives my car as well.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:45 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
this deal was specifically about a crash and the 25k deductible.
this was not a rental.
Joe paid zero $ to drive the car.
Joe paid zero $ for the stickers.
Joe paid zero $ for transport.
Joe paid zero $ for support.
Joe paid zero $ for prep.
Joe paid zero $ for anything.
Joe did agree to pay the $25k deductible if he wrecked the car.
Joe paid $11k.
Stu is still waiting for $14k from Joe.
Stu has sent messages to Joe requesting $14k.

crickets
I can't help but wonder: where do they teach this? at MBA school? is this how people get super-rich?
14K is a bit of change.
But losing a true friend seems like a poor bargain.

Yes, it is sad and distasteful to see this hashed out in a forum.
But, it serves an important function beyond the voyeuristic or schadenfreude aspect to reading this thread.
Rather it seems to be an important cautionary tale, which I hope will better our sport overall and PCA community standards.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:05 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911
I can't help but wonder: where do they teach this? at MBA school? is this how people get super-rich?
ethics seminars at Enron
Old 02-22-2019, 01:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911
14K is a bit of change.
But losing a true friend seems like a poor bargain.

Yes, it is sad and distasteful to see this hashed out in a forum.
But, it serves an important function beyond the voyeuristic or schadenfreude aspect to reading this thread.
Rather it seems to be an important cautionary tale, which I hope will better our sport overall and PCA community standards.
All very true and thanks for teaching me a new word.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:38 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
you never watched 2-1/2 Men ?
Old 02-22-2019, 01:46 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,275 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Some idiot dive bombs you and then goes skidding off the track into a tire wall. As you complete your turn you look in your rear view mirror and see faint wafts of steam coming from his now motionless car.

The smile that creeps onto your face is the feeling of pure schadenfreude.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:06 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
you never watched 2-1/2 Men ?
No. I don't watch much TV. Less than 2 hrs a week.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:07 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Then how could everyone way in on a problem that is none of their business? Plus, what else are you going to do to waste time that is better than this thread?
THIS!
Old 02-22-2019, 04:55 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm going to hook up with Stu

Maybe he will let me race his new cup..crash it and walk away telling him he owes me money..as I did him a favor getting him into a different car

This might be my ticket back into racing without burning money like a heroin addict
Old 02-22-2019, 05:14 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Izzone
I'm going to hook up with Stu

Maybe he will let me race his new cup..crash it and walk away telling him he owes me money..as I did him a favor getting him into a different car

This might be my ticket back into racing without burning money like a heroin addict
Izzone, I'll co-drive the enduro with you but Stu has to pay my expenses (plane, uber, hotel, meals, beer, blow, hookers, etc.) if you wreck the car before my turn and I don't get to drive.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:44 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
If you share a car put the terms in writing. My insurance policy allows me to name other drivers so I am covered when a pro drives my car as well.

If this policy has liability for racing will you share the policy name/contact either here or fatbillybob@yahoo.com?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2019, 02:27 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Still waiting on Kibort's response.
Witch Hunt - NO COLLISION!

Last edited by PJorgen; 02-23-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Crash Damage Responsibility?