Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Crash Damage Responsibility?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 08:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
+1 I could buy a cup car with all the money I've spent rebuilding E cars after being hit

And, I've seen crazy sh*t in every class. It doesn't take competence to get a PCA race license, just a check.
+1,000! Word. Some crazy $#it!

Dissappointed to hear of the apathy of the stewards in that incident out West, but a big shout out to the stewards who are really trying to tighten up the ship elsewhere, most recently at Sebring, where folks lost positions due to proactive policing of PUY’s. Good move, Sebring stewards! It’s a slippery slope...

The final arbiter is the loose nut behind the wheel....
Old 02-20-2019, 08:13 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
As a guy racing a cup, I always am piqued by Clark’s contempt for cup owners. Give it a rest, would you? Some day I’d like to have a beer with you so you could explain your experiences which have led to this level of derision.
Add your story to my list of cup transgressions. Lol

Are you a Californian? In October I was at Sonoma with nasa/poc/pca and the high level respect and give and take was way different than crap I've seen east.

Have you raced with the cups at Sebring, Watkins and Road America? The sh*t show of the cups there is thru the roof. I've been run off the track by so many clueless cup drivers. I've watched so many knucklehead moves around me. Dive bomb passes taking other cars out. Jerks dumping anti-freeze causing massive $ wrecks behind them. Seen first hand caranage in piles of cup car crash damage. I was in (and drove through unscathed) the famous big cup crash at the kink at Road America a few years ago. And hours later when we restarted the race got run off the track in t7... My list goes on and on. Just from my own videos I could put together quite a derisive compilation. And since I quit cup I have noticed nothing has changed.

But I am sure there are a few cup drivers that have never caused anyone else a dime. Hopefully you are in that camp.

More than happy to have a beer with you.

And has Joe paid Stu the $14k yet?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:32 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Someone's 1k is another's 1M

I've been hit and I have hit / it's racing / it happens. I've neither paid nor been paid.
x2 and well said.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:49 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

We campaigned an SM so I don't have any exprerience with the cost of "adult" racing.......Joel Reisser told me a joke that often rings true of life. (Fill in any expensive ride for ferrari):

Joel: What do a miata and a ferrari have in common?
A: you can't have a $10k accident in either.

Last edited by mhm993; 02-20-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

OP; I'm confused how do you know all the details to subtract $14K from your agreement?
what did you base your $11k payment on then? A tip? A late Hanukkah gift? Wasn't ur agreement...I crash your car I give you $25k?

If Stu made out better or worse that is at his risk..

Why are you calculating your reasons not to pay Stu? Or was it really just that Stu still has money to go to the grocery store anyways, so the agreement is not valid??

25k is a rounding error in cup car racing..not sure it's worth losing a friend who let u put time on his car at no cost to u

Guess karma gets us all, sorry to hear about Sebring..as I envy those who have the checkbook to race a R
Old 02-20-2019, 10:07 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
I was in (and drove through unscathed) the famous big cup crash at the kink at Road America a few years ago. And hours later when we restarted the race got run off the track in t7...
That brings back very chilling memories. I was working the false grid that entire weekend.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Krokodil
A complication not being discussed is when the responsibility for contact is not clear to the drivers involved. If the expectation is to pay if responsible then you are putting the stewards in a tough spot, as they are charged with determining fault and, by extension, who is financially responsible. Not a huge deal if it is $100 in paint damage, but if a long-time club racer in a 996 takes out a new gt3r they may be sentencing the driver to the end of his/her racing career and a second mortgage to pay the debt. As a steward I don’t mind sitting someone down for a weekend, but want no part of committing them to financial ruin. And probably materially reducing the number of moderate income folks in club racing.

Race what you can afford to fix with zero expectation that your car is anyone’s responsibility but your own. If I could afford to fix an R I would race one, but I can’t so I don’t. Apologizing and offering to help the driver work on the car to get it back out (or pushing the now junker on the hauler), mandatory.
This is an excellent point. So many incidents could be decided either way and lord knows we've had some epic arguments right here on Rlist about the passing rule. etc. By placing the burden of assigning the financial responsibility (or absolving responsibility either way) to the incident on the stewards more than likely all this ends up in court.

I think the consensus has been pretty clear: you race it you fix it and don't expect a check from anyone.

Joe if you want to make Stu whole and you think it prudent to do so quickly you can use the "send money to a friend" feature on PayPal and avoid the fees rather than hassling with writing and mailing a check.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:41 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

If you're experiencing excess contact in E class, maybe it's you and not the class?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:02 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Since the OP started this thread, it seems relevant to drill down on his incident in Stu's car... How is the OP's debt to Stu even up for debate considering this was an agreement made before the OP even got behind the wheel.

They had a deal that the OP would pay the deductible if the car was destroyed. He let the OP drive the car and then he totaled it. Stu's weekend was over and his car was done. All the funds he paid to be there, out the window... Money aside, he's probably spent a tremendous amount of time and energy sourcing a new replacement car and then trying to get it set up correctly again. What is Stu's time worth? Based on Stu's car and my car, I'd say way more than mine I don't see how its relevant if Stu got a deal on a new car or made some money back on parts from the old car. At the end of the day, Stu would probably rather have his original, well sorted car back and not dealt with all this drama.

I race E and I also race with a Chump team. I don't own the car. But I pay a deposit and I did sign an agreed value agreement, as well as a parts replacement agreement if I'm found at fault for destroying or damaging the car. Knock on wood

I don't see how this is any different. I hate to make assumptions, but based on the OP's signature, it would appear it's more of unwillingness rather than ability to make Stu whole on the deal. If I wrecked Stu's car, the best I could do is say I'm sorry and buy him dinner LOL
Old 02-20-2019, 11:12 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Agreed. The assumption that Stu "made out" on the total lass of his car is patently absurd. Who paid the insurance premiums that saved For form having to write a $125,000 check? Stu did. Who had to go thru the time and hassle of getting settlement, finding a car and parting his old car? Stu did. Joe went home with nary a care about what he left Stu to deal with. Now Stu has to go thru the time and effort of dialing in a new car. That's expensive and can't be done during a race weekend with the limited track time. He's going to have added expenses in the process of setting up this car in track time, support and consumables. Money he had already spent on the destroyed car and is only having to spend now because of Joe. These are not even intangibles.

But Stu "made out" right?

Just pay Stu what you agreed to.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:48 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,285 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
If you're experiencing excess contact in E class, maybe it's you and not the class?
I'm not in E class but for those, including, Clarke, who remember Summit Point, about 3 years ago, there were 3 cars at black flag (all E). There was multiple car contact and it looks like everyone just took it in stride was smiles and handshakes. It looks like it happened due to hard racing and there were no hurty feelings.

I was there because someone dive bombed me. My only contact ever and I got an apology but no money. Small dent in rear quarter panel. I still joke around with the person who hit me. It happens.

This is supposed to be fun and I am happy to keep making jokes. That's what I do.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:00 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

I take offense "self serviced 996GT3 Cup" - some of us "self serviced " guys know how to race
Old 02-20-2019, 12:51 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I'm not in E class but for those, including, Clarke, who remember Summit Point, about 3 years ago, there were 3 cars at black flag (all E). There was multiple car contact and it looks like everyone just took it in stride was smiles and handshakes. It looks like it happened due to hard racing and there were no hurty feelings.
sorry don't remember Summit 3 years ago - what happened?

rubouts are easy with our cheaper cars.
our class is the cheapest way to race, crash and rebuild a Porsche 911. I know, I stuffed mine in the wall at Sebring last year. I bought the car for less than the repair to my gt3 that I put in the fence at Watkins a few years ago because some cup dumbass was running antifreeze in his cup and his cup dumped it on the track because of a leak and he drove his cup back to the garage and I got to watch my car go on a flatbed. did I mention his cup that had antifreeze in it was fine?

Has Joseph Toussaint paid Stu the $14,000 he owes yet?
Old 02-20-2019, 01:11 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Too much bitterness and viciousness here��!!!
Old 02-20-2019, 01:20 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I just caught up and read this entire thread. Seems like the OP left out a detail or two in his original post. If there was an agreement for a deductible in the event of an accident, then pay the car owner. I once had to do that with a rented race car and while I didn't necessarily agree with the amount quoted to repair, I paid. That was the deal. That kind of arrangement aside, one assumes a huge amount of personal and financial liability and responsibility when you strap your butt into a race car. It's part of the sport. I've been the hitter and the hittee, and I never asked for money nor was expected to pay any. If you can't afford the personal and financial risk.......don't race (or DE).

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Crash Damage Responsibility?