Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Crash Damage Responsibility?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 09:04 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well i have been at the bad end of this many times.....

Old 02-19-2019, 09:10 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

That’s a broad generalization!
Old 02-19-2019, 09:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
This whole thing is soooooooo pca cup car world - big money, big ego, big attitude, no talent, no remorse, no responsibility.
I don't believe in the "us versus them" broad brush painting.

It all begins on track. Sometimes it continues off of it...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-19-2019, 09:44 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

This whole thing is soooooooo pca cup car world - big money, big ego, big attitude, no talent, no remorse, no responsibility.
it can be like this at times from what I have seen... It is too bad because it would be great to see you in a Cup!
Old 02-19-2019, 11:38 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
(example) If Joe wants to run a (beautiful) high dollar 991 GT3R and get plowed by a rookie in a self serviced 996GT3 Cup.... Then that is the risk he accepts running that car as do all car owners. The 996 Cup owner even though is at fault, is by no means a dick for not offering to help pay for the repairs for a car worth as much as a house. It is just not feasable. And even if it were feasable, you can see what direction things would go.
My senario is extreme, but it is an example of why damage repairs cannot be expected to be paid. It leaves the door wide open. Club Racing would become parade laps as opposed to actual racing if everybody had to pay for accident damage. Not that we drive harder because it is a free pass, but you get the idea.

There is always 944 racing. Those are disposables with multple cars for parts in the owners backyards. Not a bad gig.
Excellent point - well said
Old 02-19-2019, 11:49 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
There is always 944 racing. Those are disposables with multple cars for parts in the owners backyards. Not a bad gig.
please don’t think they are disposable. I have plenty of money, time, and nearly a marriage in mine. If you have the attitude that any car is disposable you shouldn’t be racing
Old 02-19-2019, 11:54 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Exactly, if I was OP, I'd pay the agreed upon deductible and thank my lucky stars the car had insurance to begin with.

Agree, the OP's justification doesnt take into account his agreement to pay the full deductible nor the fact that Stu was paying the premiums on that policy that OP benefited from.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:56 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dizzyj

please don’t think they are disposable. I have plenty of money, time, and nearly a marriage in mine. If you have the attitude that any car is disposable you shouldn’t be racing

I dont think he was trying to offend, nor was he saying literally that 944's are disposable. Only that a 944 is easier to write off if forced to do so than a 991R......
Old 02-20-2019, 12:27 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

There are good, and bad drivers, in every class in PCA. Generalizing like this really just isn’t accurate in my experience.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:49 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, I've raced in both the cup group and E. For a while I did both in same weekend. I'll stand by my comments.

Has Joe sent Stu his money yet?
Old 02-20-2019, 01:23 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj

Lol. Just kidding. I know what they cost to build and keep running. Not exactly cheap or disposable. But compared to these $$ Cups, it appears to be a smart way to go racing.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:56 AM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

As a guy racing a cup, I always am piqued by Clark’s contempt for cup owners. Give it a rest, would you? Some day I’d like to have a beer with you so you could explain your experiences which have led to this level of derision. Back on point, I have been hit now twice, most recently at the last PCA club race at Buttonwillow last November. The guy in front of me somehow lost control of his car as soon as he hit the brakes in turn one, veering off to the left, creating a black cloud of dust so dense, it was barely possible to make out the edge of the track. I slowed down as quickly as I could, staying to the right side of the track edge, but he found me when he careened back onto the track. I was already stopped when he hit me. 12k worth of damage. No apology. Even the stewards didn’t even act like they gave a crap. Yeah, it gives a bad taste in my mouth when I remember it because happening on the second lap of Saturday’s second practice, all the prep, hotel costs, extended family and their hotel costs, etc. went down the toilet. But, the car is fixed, and the season is beginning and I am excited to get back out there. **** happens. There are some strange people out there. Human nature is a strange and unpredictable thing. But by and large most people I meet in the paddock are enthusiasts and gentlemen and it’s a great adventure.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:05 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

People are convoluting money and apology

Making a mistake on track and owning up it and apologizing = expected and creates the right attitude for all

Writing a check for someone else's damage you may have had a hand in creating = not expected, but in some circumstances ok or ok to offer to wrench and help the guy get back out there

Bring to track what you are comfortable leaving without - for each of us that's different and why this model works

Someone's 1k is another's 1M

I've been hit and I have hit / it's racing / it happens. I've neither paid nor been paid.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:48 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D

There are good, and bad drivers, in every class in PCA. Generalizing like this really just isn’t accurate in my experience.
+1 I could buy a cup car with all the money I've spent rebuilding E cars after being hit

And, I've seen crazy sh*t in every class. It doesn't take competence to get a PCA race license, just a check.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:03 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

A complication not being discussed is when the responsibility for contact is not clear to the drivers involved. If the expectation is to pay if responsible then you are putting the stewards in a tough spot, as they are charged with determining fault and, by extension, who is financially responsible. Not a huge deal if it is $100 in paint damage, but if a long-time club racer in a 996 takes out a new gt3r they may be sentencing the driver to the end of his/her racing career and a second mortgage to pay the debt. As a steward I don’t mind sitting someone down for a weekend, but want no part of committing them to financial ruin. And probably materially reducing the number of moderate income folks in club racing.

Race what you can afford to fix with zero expectation that your car is anyone’s responsibility but your own. If I could afford to fix an R I would race one, but I can’t so I don’t. Apologizing and offering to help the driver work on the car to get it back out (or pushing the now junker on the hauler), mandatory.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Crash Damage Responsibility?