Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Crash Damage Responsibility?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 01:58 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
but you did dignify it.
whole?! are you f'ing kidding?!
what happened after to the car is not your concern.
you wrecked his car.
25k deductible.
you paid 11.
pay the man.
This sounds like one of those "spoken verse poems" that the hipsters love to do in Brooklyn bars on open mike night.
The following users liked this post:
roadie13 (01-08-2021)
Old 02-19-2019, 02:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold

+1000 if you agreed to the deductible then that is what you owe!!!!

Peter

Exactly, if I was OP, I'd pay the agreed upon deductible and thank my lucky stars the car had insurance to begin with.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:32 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe T
Thanks for the comments. I wouldn't have asked if I believed the party at fault couldn't readily handle and easily afford to make things good. Maybe that doesn't matter. Curious as to how people viewed it...now I know.

I won't dignify the nonsense about VIR other than to say I'm happy to make the owner whole. As far as I am aware, based on the info I have received to date, the owner has made $ (better than whole) on this given the insurance payout, sale of transmission, sale of engine and my payment. With perhaps other valuable things still to sell. On top of that, he has a newer, nicer car. In hind sight, it would have been better for me to pay the deductible and take the car and sell off the parts. The owner knows how to reach me if we still need to sort any of this.
So us lowly spec car racers are off the hook? Thanks Joe! That's mighty big of you!

Are you really saying that you don't owe what you agreed to because Stu made out with insurance and parts sales? Did your agreement mention these parameters as a factor in how much you would agree to pay after the total destruction of Stu's car?

Since you have that fancy car can you cough up the $14K?

Is this really your response?

It's a risk we all take. Period. I've had a few bumps and made a few dents myself. I've always tried to seek out the other driver and more often than not apologies made by either me or the other driver were received and accepted like gentlemen competitors. I've never even raised my voice if someone came to apologize for contact. It's usually a laugh followed by "it's nothing, don't worry about it." That's the most important part. I'm sure many avoid the confrontation because it's real easy to get nasty particularly if you feel like you are the aggrieved party. Maturity is necessary on both sides. I am fortunate in that I have never had serious car to car contact. Minor stuff. Even so I wouldn't expect anyone to write me a check and don't expect anyone else to look for a check from me.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Great idea; Next time I owe money to someone with money, I'll just tell him he has enough money so I don't have to pay.
American Greed and Rennlist, very educational
Old 02-19-2019, 02:59 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Lots of advice and responses here but we should be clear that DE and racing are different. I buy track in surname to fix my car in case of an incident - not someone else's car. As others have said - you pay for your own damage in DE.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:09 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

What if Stu lost money on getting new car??? You would have paid more than 25k Joe???

rotflmao
Old 02-19-2019, 03:11 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

"Don't race what you can't afford to walk away from"

Thank G_d I never listened to that others wise I would not have had the opportunities to get some very cool rides over the years. Thankfully I learned early on you first have to finish a race in order to have a chance to win it .
Bruce McInnes + Skip Barber called me up to the tower after my first race to give me that lecture I was 21 cocky kid

In the old days while no one paid for the damage they caused to your car in dollars it was understood that after race you could at least take out some aggression and get some different type of payback...…… Good old days :0
Old 02-19-2019, 03:11 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

What is the value of Stu's time getting all this crap done, dealing with insurance, the shop, finding a new car, getting new car sorted?

What about the races Stu missed because you wrecked his car Joe?

yeah
Old 02-19-2019, 03:56 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Talk about irony...

Originally Posted by Joe T
Interested to see how the RL community views the issue of crash damage responsibility.
OP, I'm sorry for your financial consequences of racing. But I couldn't help notice your avatar. Talk about irony. Anyway, I've always heard "you wanna play, you gotta play", that's one reason I don't race on the track. I don't have the budget. Therefore, I spent my weekends "racing" the open highways fantasizing about actually being in a race. Hell, I might even put on a helmet for fun of it. Sue me! Oh, well, I'm glad I stumbled over this jewel of a thread... definitely and interesting read. I wish you the best in your decision.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
Lots of advice and responses here but we should be clear that DE and racing are different. I buy track insurance to fix my car in case of an incident - not someone else's car. As others have said - you pay for your own damage in DE.
As well as in Club and Pro Racing, too. Generally...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-19-2019, 04:47 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

I think the expectation should be you are a good guy if you make good for a really boneheaded error, but you are not a bad guy if you say "sorry, but that's racing."

To add another layer, if someone hits me in the paddock, whether it is my tow vehicle, trailer, or car, they need to pay.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:38 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
Sounds like we have consensus - any of you E b*tches hit me again you'll pay me....done
"F" U Sean
Old 02-19-2019, 08:12 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Great idea; Next time I owe money to someone with money, I'll just tell him he has enough money so I don't have to pay.
American Greed and Rennlist, very educational
I need to hook up with STU and drive his new car! It looks to be a great deal!
If i wreck his car, any gains he gets from scrapping the car (on his own time) after insurance payout go towards my deductable! (profit sharing agreement?)
Basically cost me minimal to wreck a dudes car! Awesome!
Old 02-19-2019, 08:22 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I know!
I took it for a session at Road America. That car was well sorted and an rocket.
The new one not so much.

Had I known the “you don’t have to pay people, no matter what you agreed on, when they already have money” rules, I could have driven it a LOT faster.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:35 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I need to hook up with STU and drive his new car! It looks to be a great deal!
If i wreck his car, any gains he gets from scrapping the car (on his own time) after insurance payout go towards my deductable! (profit sharing agreement?)
Basically cost me minimal to wreck a dudes car! Awesome!
This whole thing is soooooooo pca cup car world - big money, big ego, big attitude, no talent, no remorse, no responsibility.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Crash Damage Responsibility?