Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Crash Damage Responsibility?

Old 02-18-2019, 09:00 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I will likely never offer to pay for someones damage from racing and I would never expect or accept someones offer to pay for damage.

It's racing and no way should people expect to get paid for damage to their car.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Stu’s CUP car crash is different.
If you borrow a car, isn’t it automatically so that you buy what you break?
Old 02-18-2019, 09:01 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I have been hit and I have hit others.
It is not a good feeling on either end.

When we step onto the stage, we sign up for it better or worse. We accept the risks no matter who is at fault.
We cant go around fixing everybody's damage that we may have caused and we cant expect others to fix the damage they have caused.

Repairing damage is a nice gesture but not expected. Telling the other driver you are sorry is the gentleman thing to do.

When you are racing, Chit is going to happen, especially if you are trying to be upfront.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I will likely never offer to pay for someone's damage from racing and I would never expect or accept someone's offer to pay for damage.

It's racing and no way should people expect to get paid for damage to their car.
Agreed.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-18-2019, 09:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I’ve seen gentleman drivers do very stupid stuff, apologize and surprise the other part with payment.
It’s the gentlemen thing to do. I’d never expect it, but I would pay because I want to live with myself that way.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:09 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Stu’s CUP car crash is different.
Yes, you break it, you buy it or fix it. (Or the deductable in this case).

Old 02-18-2019, 09:10 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
; there’s a lot of ego in this sport and some be concerned there would be a confrontation.
LOL! Once a guy was doing the Day of Thunder after I spun got dirt dust cloud and tire smoke and was stuck mid track. Problem was I was still there and he pile drived me. Accident was totally avoidable if it weren't for his red mist. Tow truck picked him up and stopped 50 yrds away. Curious? Driver comes out walks 50yrds asks if I am OK? Sure I'm fine. No he says are you OK with John? I ws puzzled. "Well yeah. I spun he nailed me that's life." Tow driver thought for sure I was going to kill John. Oh well he totaled his car and I had a giant repair bill on mine. That's life and John and I are both friends and wiser for the next time.

In SCCA clubracing there are 300 drivers on any weekend. SCCA Majors, June sprints, and Runoffs up the driver aggression as does tracks with lots of runoff area. Every weekend someone crashes and can't continue. I think the chances of it being you is about 1/300. That's just the nature of the sport. That's why we have all that safety gear. It is not just in case it's for when.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Actually, no. Unless it's in writing...

As a motorsports professional, I have seen MANY instances of disputes after a co-driver or friend crashes a car over the years. Track days, DE and Club racing, especially. Everyone's here for fun, until they're not having fun.

Pro racing is different. You take care of every eventuality and hope no bad stuff happens. And you have escrow and insurance if it does.

As a coach, I have had clients sign a release of liability. I have insurance, too. And yes, I used to sweat a lot driving 250GT SWB's, F40LM's and Comp Daytona's on track. The best one was the Alfa V-12 F1 car. But everyone knew the deal before I left the pit lane.

As an aside and in my opinion, it's a shame Clarke felt like he had to air this dirty laundry in this community. Joe and Stu are gentlemen, have the highest respect for both. Neither deserved this "outing."

Back to your regularly scheduled RL reality show.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

If I’m driving it, it doesn’t need to be in writing.

OP and Stu however agreed, verbal contract.
The first $11K was paid. Maybe he didn’t get around to sending the next $14K?
Old 02-18-2019, 09:49 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Pro racing is different. You take care of most every eventuality most of the time and hope no bad stuff happens. And you have escrow and insurance if it does.
Changed it to match what I've seen. I've been very surprised at some of the "deals" people have, rides lost, and more.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:57 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Actually, no. Unless it's in writing...

As a motorsports professional, I have seen MANY instances of disputes after a co-driver or friend crashes a car over the years. Track days, DE and Club racing, especially. Everyone's here for fun, until they're not having fun.

Pro racing is different. You take care of every eventuality and hope no bad stuff happens. And you have escrow and insurance if it does.

As a coach, I have had clients sign a release of liability. I have insurance, too. And yes, I used to sweat a lot driving 250GT SWB's, F40LM's and Comp Daytona's on track. The best one was the Alfa V-12 F1 car. But everyone knew the deal before I left the pit lane.

As an aside and in my opinion, it's a shame Clarke felt like he had to air this dirty laundry in this community. Joe and Stu are gentlemen, have the highest respect for both. Neither deserved this "outing."

Back to your regularly scheduled RL reality show.
Sorry, is Joe a client of yours?
Stu is a gentleman, yes, and he would like Joe to pay him his money.

Joe started this thread and posted the question.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Changed it to match what I've seen. I've been very surprised at some of the "deals" people have, rides lost, and more.
Yep, I was talking about how it should be, at least in the top teams.

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Sorry, is Joe a client of yours?
Stu is a gentleman, yes, and he would like Joe to pay him his money.
No, Joe nor Stu are or have been clients of mine. smdh...
Old 02-18-2019, 10:45 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

It gets crazy on the coaching and driving side in terms of responsibilities. I have been lucky enough to not have anything happen while driving a clients vehicle but there has always been a handshake deal that if I am a hired contractor to work with them, I do not take any responsibility. That being said, out of personal belief, I will NEVER push a clients car anywhere close to the limit, any incident will be of a mechanical instance (which would happen no matter who was in the car) and that's agreed upon well before.

Pro driving side is bonkers. Walked away from deals due to the contracts regarding damage responsibility, seen friends get into long-term financial trouble due from taking those deals. Self control and playing the "what if the car burns down" game in every phone call is tough, but needed to guarantee future financial stability.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:58 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Discussions like this really make me rethink reentering club racing. I have a very limited racing budget. I can afford to walk away from my own car, but thats about it.

As much as I like to think I am VERY careful, I'm also pragmatic, there will come a day when I have an at fault accident.

I plan to budget 10k/year to race. So if I hit Joe's car am I expected to hang up my helmet for six years and make payments? If I don't am I a dick?

How hard do I need to "try" to not be "that guy' I could certainly take a second mortgage or dip into my retirement.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:12 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Discussions like this really make me rethink reentering club racing. I have a very limited racing budget. I can afford to walk away from my own car, but thats about it.

As much as I like to think I am VERY careful, I'm also pragmatic, there will come a day when I have an at fault accident.

I plan to budget 10k/year to race. So if I hit Joe's car am I expected to hang up my helmet for six years and make payments? If I don't am I a dick?

How hard do I need to "try" to not be "that guy' I could certainly take a second mortgage or dip into my retirement.
....and that is the reason why there is generally no obligation to pay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on Crash Damage Responsibility?