Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Crash Damage Responsibility?

Old 02-19-2019, 08:05 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 607 Likes on 297 Posts

I guess you must establish in your own mind what is good racing expectations I too was taken out a few years ago by an attempted 3 car pass clearly that was not going to work and being the odd man out I got broad sided causing about $10K in damage. My eexpectation before racing was not that other racers would pay but that they would at least man/women up and come by to apologize. My expectations were not met, no apology, or anything else. When I started racing I accepted that my expectations may differ from other racers so I race at my own risk both for car damage and for decent manners, still love every minute of it.
Rich

Last edited by uscarrera; 02-19-2019 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe T
Thanks for the comments. I wouldn't have asked if I believed the party at fault couldn't readily handle and easily afford to make things good. Maybe that doesn't matter. Curious as to how people viewed it...now I know.

I won't dignify the nonsense about VIR other than to say I'm happy to make the owner whole. As far as I am aware, based on the info I have received to date, the owner has made $ (better than whole) on this given the insurance payout, sale of transmission, sale of engine and my payment. With perhaps other valuable things still to sell. On top of that, he has a newer, nicer car. In hind sight, it would have been better for me to pay the deductible and take the car and sell off the parts. The owner knows how to reach me if we still need to sort any of this.
Expectations are were things fall apart. You expect to make him whole (by your judgement). He expects whatever you agreed upon.

On the track, you should expect to have damage at some point. Maybe big. Maybe small. You should expect to pay this out of your own pocket. You should not expect an apology or anything else.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:46 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Tough topic. I have been hit 5 times in a couple of decades of racing very successfully (I might add). Haven’t hit anyone yet and I’m not planning on and hope I never do.

Mechanical issues aside, incidents can be evaded by using your brain.

Drivers shouldn’t forget that, to finish first you must first finish. Also, we are all friends sharing a passion and our livelihoods do not depend on the finishing position however our lives are at stake.

Courtesy, mindfulness and skill keep you away from incidents.

What is is the typical comment after an incident? “I thought I could” or “I knew it was a risky move but I tried anyway”. Etc. That why most incidents are colloquialy known as “bone head moves”.

As to damages, my tally is over $130 already. I have only received a “ sorry” once. That is what I expect. Man up, go talk to the driver you hit. Clear up what happened. At the end of the day, we race against friends and we should be friends before, during and after a race.

This is not about bringing or not an expensive toy. Expensive is a relative term. It’s about driving within your and your car’s limits and about being a gentleman, a friend, a conscious participant.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:59 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 607 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Tough topic. I have been hit 5 times in a couple of decades of racing very successfully (I might add). Haven’t hit anyone yet and I’m not planning on and hope I never do.

Drivers shouldn’t forget that, to finish first you must first finish. Also, we are all friends sharing a passion and our livelihoods do not depend on the finishing position however our lives are at stake.

What is is the typical comment after an incident? “I thought I could” or “I knew it was a risky move but I tried anyway”. Etc. That why most incidents are colloquialy known as “bone head moves”.

As to damages, my tally is over $130 already. I have only received a “ sorry” once. That is what I expect. Man up, go talk to the driver you hit. Clear up what happened. At the end of the day, we race against friends and we should be friends before, during and after a race.

This is not about bringing or not an expensive toy. Expensive is a relative term. It’s about driving within your and your car’s limits and about being a gentleman, a friend, a conscious participant.

Juan well said and I totally agree
Race on
Rich
Old 02-19-2019, 09:04 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez

+1,000

This is the formula that the most successful, long term club racers use to stay in love with the sport. And, do well. Thanks, JLS!
Old 02-19-2019, 09:17 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like we have consensus - any of you E b*tches hit me again you'll pay me....done
Old 02-19-2019, 09:19 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe T
Thanks for the comments. I wouldn't have asked if I believed the party at fault couldn't readily handle and easily afford to make things good. Maybe that doesn't matter. Curious as to how people viewed it...now I know.

I won't dignify the nonsense about VIR other than to say I'm happy to make the owner whole. As far as I am aware, based on the info I have received to date, the owner has made $ (better than whole) on this given the insurance payout, sale of transmission, sale of engine and my payment. With perhaps other valuable things still to sell. On top of that, he has a newer, nicer car. In hind sight, it would have been better for me to pay the deductible and take the car and sell off the parts. The owner knows how to reach me if we still need to sort any of this.
but you did dignify it.
whole?! are you f'ing kidding?!
what happened after to the car is not your concern.
you wrecked his car.
25k deductible.
you paid 11.
pay the man.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:05 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

Because I can't just walk away from my car I get racing insurance which covers me for races, DE, test and tune, etc. The price is high and means doing one less event a year.

Here is the most useful part information for me in this entire thread.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:16 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
but you did dignify it.
you wrecked his car.
25k deductible.
you paid 11.
pay the man.
Well this thread took a crazy U turn didn't it!!
Old 02-19-2019, 10:34 AM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I am familiar with Lockton Affinity in that they offer DE and TT insurance, but I'm not aware of companies that insure for racing. I currently race a BMW with NASA and do not insure expecting to walk away if the car is written off. I am looking to get into a cup car in the future and assumed the same. It may be worthwhile to evaluate insurance on the cup car considering it is much more costly to buy and repair. Can the group give me some direction as to what you use and what costs are like (premiums and deductibles)?

As for the topic at hand, I have been on both the sending and receiving side of damage on track. I do not expect to receive any form of compensation, nor will I ever be willing to give any. It is part of the risk we take. I do however willingly apologize for causing contact. Like others have said, we do this for fun so we should all be friendly about it.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:00 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

The expectation is you pay for any damage to your own car and nothing else. This is why I don't race and only do DE's/TT's.I got hit once in Time Trials, somehow the guy lost it passing the person behind me and then hit me when I was in the middle of the turn. He was appalled, came over and apologized and offered to pay for my damages. I was happily surprised by his offer and was respectful in sourcing used parts and fixing it as inexpensively as possible. He did send me a check to cover it all, which was nice.

I used to have a car that wasn't all that expensive and I self insured it. With it gone and me running the 996 Turbo I plan on buying insurance to cover it at the the track, as it's worth more than I care to pay out of pocket...
Old 02-19-2019, 11:10 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatFarmer
Can the group give me some direction as to what you use and what costs are like (premiums and deductibles)?
Every once in a while a thread gets started on this topic in this DE and Racing form with recommendations. Actual $$$ figures are very much dependent on the specifics of your car and insurance levels. Here you go:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=13146
Old 02-19-2019, 11:19 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Still waiting on Kibort's response.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:29 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
but you did dignify it.
you wrecked his car.
25k deductible.
you paid 11.
pay the man.
+1000 if you agreed to the deductible then that is what you owe!!!!

Peter
Old 02-19-2019, 12:18 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had this discussion with a buddy who races in AER and had a fair bit of damage caused twice in the same weekend by the same driver. Both times the other driver did something absolutely ridiculous that caused the incident. My buddy shrugged it off and paid the bill to the owner of the car he was driving. At least the other driver came over and admitted he was in over his head and made stupid mistakes. That was enough...

I keep downgrading my cars to lessen the financial hit. I've already self-insured one car. Went from a 911 to an E36. Now that the E36 is nearing the end of development, even that car has a ton of money into it. Now I'm looking for a clean Miata.. LOL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on Crash Damage Responsibility?