Sponsored by:

Beginner Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 11:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
If you think about it, Club racing is beginning racing, IMSA is intermediate and F1 is advanced .
This would be somewhat the level system for an answer.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:49 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

I may look to start racing in a couple of years. Wanna get a couple more years of advanced DE driving in first, maybe even try to become an instructor at a lower/novice level, if there is such a thing.
As for now it's advanced DE with many PCA regions, and open track days with Chin and Trackmasters and the like, and at some point, hoping to race.
I've purposely held my self back for a couple of years in lower run groups to take advantage of various instructors and their knowledge and their style.
I hung out in Blue instructed for 2 or 3 years longer than I should have just so I could get the instruction,
When the time comes for me to cross the line into racing, I will probably be asking more stoopid questions about racing than anyone.
I hope those questions will be answered seriously here on Rennlist when I ask them, stoopid or not.
We all had to start somewhere, right?
Old 02-18-2019, 12:38 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Nothing wrong with wearing.a fire suit in DE, no matter what group you're in. Now wearing your fire suit in the morning at your hotel for breakfast with your racing gloves stuffed in the pockets is a whole different story.

IMHO the racing question is not stupid either.
I drive to DEs wearing my race suit out of laziness and not wanting to have to get changed in a cold trailer in the morning. I've never worn it to breakfast at the hotel. However, I have worn it into town during a race when I was too lazy to change. I'm that guy but only out of laziness.

Plus, if you have seen my race suit lately it is anything but a status symbol!

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I may look to start racing in a couple of years. Wanna get a couple more years of advanced DE driving in first, maybe even try to become an instructor at a lower/novice level, if there is such a thing.
As for now it's advanced DE with many PCA regions, and open track days with Chin and Trackmasters and the like, and at some point, hoping to race.
I've purposely held my self back for a couple of years in lower run groups to take advantage of various instructors and their knowledge and their style.
I hung out in Blue instructed for 2 or 3 years longer than I should have just so I could get the instruction,
When the time comes for me to cross the line into racing, I will probably be asking more stoopid questions about racing than anyone.
I hope those questions will be answered seriously here on Rennlist when I ask them, stoopid or not.
There is a line between not being prepared and waiting longer than you have to. When I was trying to find whether I was ready or not I would seek out instructors to drive with me and tell me their thoughts. When I thought I was ready everyone who drove with me thought I was ready.

Was I ready earlier? Perhaps I should have asked earlier.

Get a club racer's opinion from time to time even if you are not committed to starting. At least you know where you are and it can help influence your choice.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:18 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Think about joining NASA and doing some Time Trials now.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:31 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Yeah. I would point in the right direction. Like raging schools, coaches etc.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:13 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Appreciate all the advice. Thanks all.
I def want to get a few more advanced DE’s under my belt early this season, but I will see where I feel I am by April/May.
As much as I love the DE’s and open track days, I am still in White with my home region, regardless of the amount of days on track I do each season. I’ve yet to ask for a checkout ride into black with NNJR, and I want to make sure I’m 100% ready and comfortable in Black with NNJR, even though I run in black with other regions. I purposely held myself back to take advantage of the instruction and coaching.
The time trials sound like a great idea, so that’s probably where I’ll start.
Thanks again to everyone for the advice. Keep it coming. I’ll know when it’s time to cross that line into racing. I will just know.
You guys are the best. Thanks again...
Old 02-18-2019, 10:29 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
Yeah. I would point in the right direction. Like raging schools, coaches etc.
Raging school is where they teach you about red mist.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:53 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Appreciate all the advice. Thanks all.
I def want to get a few more advanced DE’s under my belt early this season, but I will see where I feel I am by April/May.
As much as I love the DE’s and open track days, I am still in White with my home region, regardless of the amount of days on track I do each season. I’ve yet to ask for a checkout ride into black with NNJR, and I want to make sure I’m 100% ready and comfortable in Black with NNJR, even though I run in black with other regions. I purposely held myself back to take advantage of the instruction and coaching.
The time trials sound like a great idea, so that’s probably where I’ll start.
Thanks again to everyone for the advice. Keep it coming. I’ll know when it’s time to cross that line into racing. I will just know.
You guys are the best. Thanks again...
You’ll be ready once you no longer have to think about driving your car fast on and off line and can concentrate on the what’s happening around you. I’d be happy to mentor you through the process when you think you are ready. We’ve all been there.....
Old 02-18-2019, 11:14 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

You’ll be ready once you no longer have to think about driving your car fast on and off line and can concentrate on the what’s happening around you. I’d be happy to mentor you through the process when you think you are ready. We’ve all been there.....
Wow. That's really nice of you Frank. Thanks.
That's kind of where I am right now.
I will know sooner than later, and then you'll be the 2nd to know.
Thanks again for such a generous helpful offer. I will take you up on that when the time comes.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:02 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
A very Green DE student of mine, in a sparkling new 458 Ferrari, who seemed intrigued by the idea of wearing a fire suit with epaulets and logos, inquired about the process of becoming a racer. "Do they have Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced races," he asked, sincerely. My Vaudeville spit-take was probably not the appropriate response.

https://youtu.be/xXtZwLYO-TY
There are forms of two wheel racing that group competitors by skill level from novice to expert. You are required to race against others of similar skill. In theory, this makes for better racing. Some events have a race (races), for each skill level. Others have the different skill levels all competing in the same race - races within a race.

Your student may be asking based on a similar perspective.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:30 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

The dude is eager to go racing and enthusiastic about the process? I don't see how making fun of his green nature is applicable here. ****, I'd be doing all I can to help point him in the best direction possible!
Old 02-18-2019, 04:58 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I'd enthusiastically point him in the right direction (and heck, point him at a miata) but it's still entertaining to make good, clean fun of our ferrari students. A few of them really do wear the red suits to breakfast.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:44 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

I know that I'm an "Old Fart" but back in the day there was no DE. There were some Autocross and Hillclimb events. If interested in road racing there was 1 choice which was SCCA, You had to do 2 race schools and received a Novice permit which was good for 4 Regional events. After that was completed you could get a National license. Today, If I had a year or two of DE and interested in racing, I'd go to SCCA school. The recommendation to try Time Trials is also good.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:02 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
If you think about it, Club racing is beginning racing, IMSA is intermediate and F1 is advanced .
where does Pro Rally racing fit? Extra Advanced, or just plain crazy? :-)
Old 02-18-2019, 08:58 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer

where does Pro Rally racing fit? Extra Advanced, or just plain crazy? :-)
Depends on whether you are the driver or navigator.

Quick Reply: Beginner Racing?