Sponsored by:

WTB - hpde/track car - street legal

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 02:32 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
I just picked up a brand new Subaru BRZ TS for $29,250. Plenty of deals to be had in these as they tend to sit.

There is a 86 time trial cup in the north east as well. I’m going to run the Rocky Mountain 86cup
Nice Suby! We have similar time trial cups out here for the 86 twins and S2000 that run at Speedventures track days. They seem like a nice group with good participation. The competition in similar vehicles would make a regular track day a lot more fun.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:45 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
I know we'd all prefer a P-car but M3s are a good option, especially for dual duty.

I have a 2006 M3 ZCP that I just put together. Did one track day and really enjoyed it but I could use the money for a home-improvement project. Subframe reinforced (zero cracks prior), VANOS bullet-proofed with Beisan Systems parts, valves adjusted, rod bearings just done, JRZ 2-way remotes (800#f/900#r), Turner race camber plates, Turner front adjustable camber arms, all new bushings in suspension, new transmission mounts (semi-solid), new motor mounts, new steering coupler, SMG to manual conversion, AKG DTM shifter and selector rod, stainless brake lines, Pagid yellows with one day on them, brand new front rotors, fresh fluids... and lots that I am forgetting. I took care of a few minor cosmetic things too. All work done by Kaiv here in San Diego. 2nd set of Enkei NT03+ square set up with Cup 2s (four 20 minute sessions on them). I drove from San Diego to Phoenix and back for a track day and it was pretty comfortable. Super easy to adjust the dampers. Enough room on the inside to transport track wheels, jack, some tools, cooler, folding chair. Probably only have about 1k miles under my ownership. 120k miles on car with records from new. Really clean car but I can't seem to get a pic to attach.

All work documented by photos, video and receipts. I'd consider letting it go in the high 20's.

Hope you can get some pics up, sounds like a nice car Something like that would be right up my alley once I get the club racer 911 finished and sold.

Another good option for a street/track car is the new Camaro SS 1LE. I drove a co-workers car and it was really nice. It handles well and has tons of power. New is low 40's and you can find them in the mid-low 30's used.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:48 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M

Another good option for a street/track car is the new Camaro SS 1LE. I drove a co-workers car and it was really nice. It handles well and has tons of power. New is low 40's and you can find them in the mid-low 30's used.
The ones I've been with on track are fantastic--one driver I know went there from a Lotus and had no problem adapting (except for being twice as fast as before )

Gary
Old 02-15-2019, 03:58 PM
boze_man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
I just picked up a brand new Subaru BRZ TS for $29,250. Plenty of deals to be had in these as they tend to sit.
your brz looks great...have you been over on 86club forum? lots of good info...
Old 02-15-2019, 04:10 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

My wife is scheduled for Hooked on Driving NJMP end of march in her Miata and my son is scheduled for the same event in my M3. Now that the kids are finished with school I am enjoying them getting hooked. Any M3 is a good option.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:46 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
Hope you can get some pics up, sounds like a nice car Something like that would be right up my alley once I get the club racer 911 finished and sold.

Cory - send me a PM with your email if you want a few pics. Don't want to hijack thread.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:34 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Can anybody confirms if possible to carry inside 4 track tires (say square setup) for E46 M3 with a roll bar?
Old 02-17-2019, 02:58 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by kisik
Can anybody confirms if possible to carry inside 4 track tires (say square setup) for E46 M3 with a roll bar?
Definately. I fit 6 in one with a rollbar buy placing one in the passenger seat.....

Obviously the entire rear seat was removed so there was open access to the trunk.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:02 PM
patrickkirby
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Just sent you a PM. My '05 Boxster S track prepped and fully street legal (registered and insured) for sale.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:38 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by kisik
i have a custom rear seat delete, and with the pass through cover removed, I fit three 18x10 with 275 NT01s in the back behind the roll bar, with the fourth in the front, and then the rest of my gear in the trunk. I think I’m remembering that right. It may have been two 10s and a 9.5 with 265/275 RS4s.

Worked in a pinch but prefer truck and trailer, even for local events.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:09 AM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm considering the BMW 330ci (For $3-5k) as a dedicated track car and maybe eventually build it into a spec E46 (my driving ability not anywhere near ready for racing) car. The spec provides a nice guide to a track worthy 330. 225 hp and 2850 lbs with driver doesn't sound too bad. Sort of like Spec Boxster #'s but a lot easier for a 6'3" tall person like me to fit in comfortably with a helmet. At least that's my thinking as of today. Lol
Old 02-19-2019, 08:35 AM
911fanboy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default check out my Cayman S 987.2

In the marketplace, my 2009 987.2 Cayman is ready for you. Price reduced today. You couldn't do better.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:08 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NoEardGoat
I'm considering the BMW 330ci (For $3-5k) as a dedicated track car and maybe eventually build it into a spec E46 (my driving ability not anywhere near ready for racing) car. The spec provides a nice guide to a track worthy 330. 225 hp and 2850 lbs with driver doesn't sound too bad. Sort of like Spec Boxster #'s but a lot easier for a 6'3" tall person like me to fit in comfortably with a helmet. At least that's my thinking as of today. Lol
Can you really find one in that price range? When I briefly considered it I saw that all of the good ones were snapped up for spec racing. The only ones I saw left were ZHP ones listed at crazy prices!

Opted to go the E36 route. If I were going down this route now, I'd opt for an E46, a Boxster for spec Boxster, or even a Miata...
Old 02-19-2019, 07:19 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
Can you really find one in that price range? When I briefly considered it I saw that all of the good ones were snapped up for spec racing. The only ones I saw left were ZHP ones listed at crazy prices!

Opted to go the E36 route. If I were going down this route now, I'd opt for an E46, a Boxster for spec Boxster, or even a Miata...
Craigslist all day long. Can also pickup an auto and swap over to manual as well. E46 328 and 330i are all over the place in ratty shape ready to be stripped down and gutted.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:10 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I went the E46 330i route last year. Mine's still street legal and has AC and a radio. I added a 1/2 cage, harnesses and seats, Ground Control suspension and track pads. Fun car to dry, except on steep uphills when you miss the power, easy to work on, lots of space to transport tools, shelter etc. One of the best parts is not being too concerned when someone kicks up a stone or rubber.
Being a sedan, it's much easier to get into the rear for storage, fitting seats etc. (especially for the more husky fellows).
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: WTB - hpde/track car - street legal