Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet friendly driving glasses?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 01:54 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oakley Conductor in clear prescription and dark grey prescription.

Bring your helmet and balaclava.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:55 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

Nike 4192 frames with Flexon arms, progressive clear lenses behind tinted visor. The flexible arms are key to push on under the balaclava and they retain their shape over time. As soon as you take them off the arms bend right back as thought they were never squeezed on around your head. I use to wear Tag sunglasses (when I was young and could still see) and those arms always took on a permanent bend to them. OK under the helmet, but looked silly out of the car.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:10 AM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I use frameless lenses glasses. The metallic frame is titanium and flexes. Thus, as I insert my glasses after putting on helmet, the flexible frames bend slighty as push them thru, but ultimately fit very well and secure. Thus, can get any prescription, clear or tinted.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:30 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Another vote for Oakley with straight and rubberized temples.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:31 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I think it's easier to find frames that fit a helmet and head than a helmet that fits with your head and glasses.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:32 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Raider89
I use frameless lenses glasses. The metallic frame is titanium and flexes. Thus, as I insert my glasses after putting on helmet, the flexible frames bend slighty as push them thru, but ultimately fit very well and secure. Thus, can get any prescription, clear or tinted.
I have the same setup.

The glasses are only used for for track days. They are too ugly for helmet off times...lol I have a different pair for every day wear.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:03 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine aren't prescription, but Maui Jim advertises that 95% of their lenses are available as prescription.

They are a Maui Jim with a bronze (rootbeer) polycarbonate rimless lens and flexible nylon frame. Incredibly light, like almost not noticeable. The flexibility of the nylon makes them easy to slip on between head and helmet and they can bend and flex as required to fit with no noticeable pressure points. Lens color is good for overcast or bright days. Not sure of the exact model, but looking at Maui Jim's current product lineup the Breakwall and Lighthouse are very similar.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:46 AM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 161 Likes on 118 Posts

So, not prescription, but I favor tinted safety glasses (I suppose you can get prescription safety glasses after you find the frames you like)

Most safety glasses have straight arms on them which makes them easy to get in and out of the helmet. Polarized is a bad thing for us with the electronics as others have said.

But, also as others have said, take your helmet. Different helmets fit differently, so what works for someone else and their helmet may not work for you.

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safetyglasses2.html

Oh yea, and if you are a racer and plan to race in the rain, or just on cold mornings, focus on getting a pair with anti-fog lenses.

Thanks

Ed

https://www.goodaero.com/
Race Designed Aerodynamics

https://racingtirewarmers.com/
Win more races with tire warmers

Great products for racers by racers

ed@demonspeed.com

Demon Speed Motorsports is a proud sponsor of PCA and the Club Racing Program

Old 02-15-2019, 08:54 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
Mine aren't prescription, but Maui Jim advertises that 95% of their lenses are available as prescription.

They are a Maui Jim with a bronze (rootbeer) polycarbonate rimless lens and flexible nylon frame. Incredibly light, like almost not noticeable. The flexibility of the nylon makes them easy to slip on between head and helmet and they can bend and flex as required to fit with no noticeable pressure points. Lens color is good for overcast or bright days. Not sure of the exact model, but looking at Maui Jim's current product lineup the Breakwall and Lighthouse are very similar.
+1 for MJ's... Best lenses in the world in my opinion. Especially the Rose which is great in all lighting conditions. They have a few models with the lightweight titanium that you wouldn't even know you were wearing...
Pricey but worth it.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:16 PM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts

I bought a pair of these to fit under my headset while flying airplanes. They work perfectly under an auto helmet also. Highly recommended.

https://flyingeyesoptics.com
Old 02-17-2019, 09:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Another vote for Oakley with straight and rubberized temples.
Yes yes yes Oakley glasses are the best.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:25 PM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for all the input, pretty much have it down to either Maui Jims or Oakley. I've been wearing non-prescription MJ titanium aviators for a few years and love them, and driving duties have been with ancient prescription Oakely wire frames. The Oakleys have a brown/bronze tinted lens which great enhance visibility in all sorts of conditions -- even low light -- will stick with a similar tint.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 02-18-2019, 04:33 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Oakley Rinochaser, Thin as possible but won't bend like wire-frames, been using the same frames weekend in and weekend out for next to 5 years now, never had a single issue with them!
Old 02-18-2019, 04:52 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

The original MJ kaanapali's for sunglasses. I find them really easy to push through the helmet and you don't know they're on, but it takes two hands to 'insert'.

For all day glasses, I've been totally enamored of Lindberg titanium wire frames for decades. Not only do they come in great colors (I have a guards red pair) and weigh absolutely nothing but I swear you can drive over them and they bounce back to their original shape. Very easy to put on with a helmet.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:22 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I have Wiley X shooting glasses. Temples are straight so they slide under a helmet. Lenses are impact rated of course.
The lenses are interchangeable so I can use photochromic prescription lenses, clear lenses, yellow, orange/brown, and sunglass lenses.

Quick Reply: Helmet friendly driving glasses?