Wheel size help - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Wheel size help

Old 02-10-2019, 06:49 PM
mbean
User

Default Wheel size help

I've been thinking of building a set of Fikse FM 10s out from their present 8*17" to 9*17. I bent one inner rim and ended up getting a set of 9" rims for the front that let us run 245 instead of the 255 on the front of our 944turbo track car. My question is do I need to replace both the barrel and the our lip equally, or could I just widen the inner barrel 1/2" and call it good? The 245 on 9" rims fit well and drive great, especially under hard braking. I don't want to be at the minimum width range for the tires, but I'm wondering if I need to replace both parts. From my [email protected]@@ measurements it appears I need to widen each part 1/2 inch to replicate the ones we are using now, but would widening the inner part 1/2" be enough? The centers are great. Is there any place other than Fikse to get parts?
Of course if anyone has a pair of 245/17 or a set of 245/17 and 275/17 tracks wheels they want to get rid of drop me a message.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:33 PM
ExMB
Addict
Rennlist Member

You are changing the effective offset, back spacing by only changing 1 part of the equation.

I'm still confused by your statement of using 255s on a 8" wheel but only being able to use 245s on that 9" one.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 AM
mbean
User

I goofed: I meant 225 fronts were originally on the car.

QUOT=ExMB;15629882]You are changing the effective offset, back spacing by only changing 1 part of the equation.

I'm still confused by your statement of using 255s on a 8" wheel but only being able to use 245s on that 9" one.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-12-2019, 01:56 PM
mbean
User

OK, what does changing the effective offset mean for the handling of the car? Any difference in performance or the way it handles?
Any insights appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: