Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Gentleman Driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 10:11 AM
TFBoxster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed the documentary and I thought it gave a fairly good insight into what motivates these guys.

I'm interested to see what some of our "Gentlemen" drivers think of the documentary once they've seen it.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:06 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

If you watch this expecting a racing movie you'll be disappointed. It's more of a reality show type documentary giving a glimpse into a few of the drivers lives on and off track. Actual racing stuff is like 20% of the program with specially edited bits with JH narrating. I didn't think it was great but it's still more interesting than 95% of the stuff on Netflix for a racing fan.

By the way, "Senna" is back on Netflix again. Worth a rewatch.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:29 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by breljohn
I also liked the psychologist's point of view (and the parallels between entrepreneurship and racing)
Same here.

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
I am thinking that it takes a raw amateur driver close to 10 years to be fast, consistent and competitive at that Pro-Am level!
Historically I'd agree but these days a lot of young guys are compressing that timeline via sims and video games. Sean Johnston was a good example:

http://seanjohnstonracing.com/sean/

Last edited by Nizer; 02-18-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:59 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TFBoxster
I enjoyed the documentary and I thought it gave a fairly good insight into what motivates these guys.

I'm interested to see what some of our "Gentlemen" drivers think of the documentary once they've seen it.
Paul Dalla Lana was happy with the documentary (in spite of the Le Mans mistake!)
Old 02-19-2019, 08:54 AM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seanseidman
Paul Dalla Lana was happy with the documentary (in spite of the Le Mans mistake!)

I think that this was more of what we like to call in the commercial business, "branded content" I am sure that the all four of those guys wrote checks for this production at some point. It played as more of a marketing piece than anything else.

Last edited by syncspeedinc; 02-19-2019 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-19-2019, 12:24 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by syncspeedinc
I think that this was more of what we like to call in the commercial business, "branded content" I am sure that the all four of those guys wrote checks for this production at some point. It played as more of a marketing piece than anything else.
I had the same feeling. Kind of like the "Journey to Le Mans" movie that used to be on Netflix.

Quick Reply: The Gentleman Driver