Sponsored by:

Driving to LCMT Tremblant from NJ

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 09:14 AM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by wmond
Was planning travel day Thursday for sure, but probably drive back on 87 Sunday night, which is why I was thinking a slower enjoyable drive up would be cool on a secondary road. I understand Monday may be a sick day at work. Booked a room at the Westin. I’m worried if I did chin on the 3rd and 4th, what if I need to replace brakes or tires between events? Since I’m actually driving my car and not a tractor trailer workshop with enough equipment to build a new car from spare parts, I am concerned 5 days might be too much in a row. Nnjr is at the Glenn for 3 days at the end of July anyway, so I was planning to get back for that.

Yeah I drove up the day before the last two years, it was nice and relaxed. Sunday back though is definitely tough, I did 4 sessions and drove back in 2017 which was borderline impossible so this past year I left after 2 sessions on Sunday and got back at a somewhat reasonable time. Traffic does get pretty bad on the way back given long weekend.

It's cool that you booked Westin for now as a placeholder but I'd unbook that and rebook through discounted PCA rates when NER sets that up, or apply their rate to your booking. They get pretty solid rates every year.

Re tires, I think in the past they had Touchette Tire set up in that second paddock area and mount/balance new tires at the track; you contact them in advance and they bring the specific tire you want. Hopefully they have them again this year- I think NER crew continues onto Calabogie so it might be useful for quite a few people.
Re brake pads, I'll try to start the trip w new brake pads (which'll probably last through 5 days anyways) and carry a spare front set, 991 pad job is a pain, removing the caliper and all, but should be doable at the track w a jack and minimal tools.

Honestly I'm not 100% committed to this Chin WGI + NNJR/NER LCMT idea yet either, depends on how some issues at work evolve. I do try to catch Chin events when I can as I really like their format.

Originally Posted by wmond
erko, did you see your avatar picture is now the DE picture on the nnjr website? How long has that been the case? You’re famous!!!
Yeah I saw - it was very cool of them to use that picture. My pro driving career is not yet taking off so I'll take whatever small fame I can get
Old 02-10-2019, 11:56 AM
basil2000
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Any one from US able to get track day insurance for Tremblant? Would love to go this year but don’t dare drive my car on track without insurance.
thanks
Old 02-10-2019, 12:44 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

I have a Canadian rider on my open track policy, but it is an annual policy, not a single event policy.
Give Ben, Jared, or Sue a buzz at Open Track and ask them what they can do for you.
The rider for Canada was an extra $500 on my annual policy if I recall correctly.
Give them a buzz. If you do a search in this forum, you can find a thread concerning this with their contact info.
Good luck.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:50 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by basil2000
Any one from US able to get track day insurance for Tremblant? Would love to go this year but don’t dare drive my car on track without insurance.
thanks
In addition to Open Track, Lockton multi-event policies also cover Canada.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:33 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Wanted to thank everyone for the input. At this point I’m planning to take TZB to 684 and then old route 22 into great barrington. Used to take that all the time as a kid, haven’t made that drive in maybe 10 years, and then before that in 2006. Pure nostalgia and it’s a fun run. Then I think either route 7 all the way through Vermont, Bennington, Burlington to Canada, or back to Albany, then hop off at Saratoga springs for 9N to lake George. Then back onto 87 for the rest of the trip.

I am am concerned that taking 7 the whole way turns a long day into an unbearably long day. Will have to see how I do on the drive to great barrington. Of course the other option is taking Vermont 100 all the way up from great barrington, but that’s probably even a longer drive. A few websites I found say it’s a great drive, but..... While I have been in the LWB seats for a few hours, and can say that for me, they are about as comfortable and supportive as any seat I have ever been in, 8, 10 or 12 hours is a looooong time to be driving.

Cant believe how much time I’m spending thinking about warmer days. See y’all soon. Will try to post some pictures in a few months if I see anything cool. Should be super pretty up there in July.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:13 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

On the west side of 22, in about Wingate, NY, is a pretty good bbq place.

i forgot if you’re overnighting....no way you’re loafing from new paltz to burlington (lovely drive—done it many times on 22 and on 7), getting out of the car for a moment or a meal every so often, and getting to lcmt in a single day. The border and Montreal offer unknowable delays.

Last edited by mhm993; 02-17-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:26 AM
wmond
Racer

Originally Posted by mhm993
On the west side of 22, in about Wingate, NY, is a pretty good bbq place.

i forgot if you’re overnighting....no way you’re loafing from new paltz to burlington (lovely drive—done it many times on 22 and on 7), getting out of the car for a moment or a meal every so often, and getting to lcmt in a single day. The border and Montreal offer unknowable delays.

are you saying I can or cannot do this trip in a single day? I was planning on enjoying most of the trip from the drivers seat. With a stop for lunch, but an otherwise enthusiastic effort to make it in 12 hours or less. Which is why I may cut over back to 87 at Albany and try that short Saratoga to Lake George shot, but then back onto 87.

If I took 7 all the way from great barrington to the border, can that be done in a day? No loafing, mostly driving.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:20 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

You can do it in a day via back roads if you hustle. I'll guess from Jersey City, where I'm typing right now, it's 11-12 hours if the border has no delays and you don't stop much.
7 is indeed a nice drive, and the Northway is dull as heck.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:08 AM
wmond
Racer

Originally Posted by mhm993
You can do it in a day via back roads if you hustle. I'll guess from Jersey City, where I'm typing right now, it's 11-12 hours if the border has no delays and you don't stop much.
7 is indeed a nice drive, and the Northway is dull as heck.
thanks. Just what I wanted to hear. I do plan to hustle, and I figure the crossing at 89 on the Eastern side of the lake will be less crowded than 87. If at any point I get bored, it looks like I can bail out back to the nys thruway/Northway as long as I do it before Bennington. I’m just south of you in Monmouth; right now my plan is to leave early and be in great barrington by 9a. I’m sure Sunday night driving home I’ll get my full taste of the northway hell.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:19 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I think the Northway (87) through the Dacks is a beautiful drive as long as you do it in daylight.
The mountain scenery just warms my cockles, but that's me. Different strokes.
You still have 5 months to decide.
On a long tow/drive like NJ to LCMT, I am in the camp of "take the route that takes the least amount of time."
Again, that's just me.
Whichever route you decide on, be safe and enjoy.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:05 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

Wmond
at what time do you plan on geting into Montreal?
you have to think about Montreal trafic and that Highway 15 to Tremblant is jammed up on Friday afternoons. Lots of people going back home or to the cottage in the Lautentians.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:14 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

The checkpoint at 89 has always been crowded for me with long 40+ minutes waiting.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:31 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Fast route is up I87. If you want to avoid the Champlain/Lacolle customs (gets crowded), exit I87 before to go through the Hemmingford post. Small detour, no traffic.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:49 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

∆∆∆
Better yet, go east just before the border on I87 and go thru the crossing at either Champlain, NY or Rouses Point, NY.
Very small crossings, usually almost no one. Even more so when crossing into Canada. And closer to I87 than Hemmingford.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:56 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dannyss
∆∆∆
Better yet, go east just before the border on I87 and go thru the crossing at either Champlain, NY or Rouses Point, NY.
Very small crossings, usually almost no one. Even more so when crossing into Canada. And closer to I87 than Hemmingford.
No problems bringing a trailer through those routes? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Driving to LCMT Tremblant from NJ