Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here frequent LRP?

Old 02-01-2019, 06:07 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Anyone here frequent LRP?

More specifically, it's been over a decade since I've been able to play at the track (children got in the way) but have a new toy for that express purpose. Way back when, the DE events I attended were with the BMW CCA. First in an E36 M3 and more often later in two different Mini Coopers. The new car is obviously very different, so my mentality is that I'm really starting from scratch again.

This time around, my plan is to run with CT Valley Region or others during their events, but I'm open to suggestions if there are better groups to run with. I'm primarily looking for a group with as little ego as possible that will be there to learn and improve.

If anyone is local and wouldn't mind offering up some advice on groups and/or talking me through getting back into the hobby (habit?), I'd really appreciate it.

P.S. Is winter over yet?
Old 02-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

You can also look into SCDA. Great group.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:44 PM
jfpell
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

Hudson Champlain Region, Metro NY PCA regions are also good groups to run with at LRP.

Hudson Champlain and Hudson Valley regions are doing a joint 2 day event in mid-August.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:34 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

NCR has 2 full days this summer.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:35 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

You should also check out CVR's autocross group. It's a great group of people. I believe they do an autocross once or twice a year at LRP during one of the DE events.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:39 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies thus far. I am so excited to finally be able to get back out there.

Auto-x! I did that quite a bit back with the Minis and loved it, but the lot used by the group I was doing it with (CART) was pretty rough. Any idea where CVR runs theirs? (I’ll look it up too, just asking out loud here)
Old 02-01-2019, 09:59 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CT_Peter
Thanks for the replies thus far. I am so excited to finally be able to get back out there.

Auto-x! I did that quite a bit back with the Minis and loved it, but the lot used by the group I was doing it with (CART) was pretty rough. Any idea where CVR runs theirs? (I’ll look it up too, just asking out loud here)
The regular location used to be a parking lot in Hartford. Not sure if it still is.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:29 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 67 Posts

I live minutes from Lime Rock, in the past four years I've mostly run with CVR and the remaining with MetroNY when at LRP. In my time in Green and all the way through up to White I've never experienced any ego or dangerous aggressive driving by anyone when running with CVR. Their instructors are top notch and keep people in check, there also seems to be more accountability with them when people do stupid things(intentional or not).

Im not sure what run group you'll be re-entering in or if you were a solo driver when you stopped but CVR has a tendency to put drivers who are in Blue or White from other regions with an instructor for a observation session, if they show good skills, safe driving etc. they'll probably get signed-off to solo in Yellow or White for the day. I've been told that a good number of solo drivers from other regions have been offended by this and choose not to drive with CVR. If one's ego is so fragile they can't handle having a simple check out ride then maybe it's for the better they stay home.

I've never run with them but have heard good things about SCDA as well. Two more months and we're green flag!
Old 02-02-2019, 10:08 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aualexa2
The regular location used to be a parking lot in Hartford. Not sure if it still is.
Thanks... I looked it up and seems to still be a LAZ lot in Hartford, so I’ll check it out next time I’m out that way.

Auto-x is probably the best way for me to get comfortable with how totally different this car will drive vs what I’m really used to in advance or at least in parallel to DEs. I’ve done a fair amount of karting in the “track free” years, and managed to keep the car shiny side up at the Ring in Oct, but I really wasn’t pushing it at all.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:14 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BFT3.2
I live minutes from Lime Rock, in the past four years I've mostly run with CVR and the remaining with MetroNY when at LRP. In my time in Green and all the way through up to White I've never experienced any ego or dangerous aggressive driving by anyone when running with CVR. Their instructors are top notch and keep people in check, there also seems to be more accountability with them when people do stupid things(intentional or not).

Im not sure what run group you'll be re-entering in or if you were a solo driver when you stopped but CVR has a tendency to put drivers who are in Blue or White from other regions with an instructor for a observation session, if they show good skills, safe driving etc. they'll probably get signed-off to solo in Yellow or White for the day. I've been told that a good number of solo drivers from other regions have been offended by this and choose not to drive with CVR. If one's ego is so fragile they can't handle having a simple check out ride then maybe it's for the better they stay home.

I've never run with them but have heard good things about SCDA as well. Two more months and we're green flag!
Thanks for this insight... seems like CVR will be a great starting point for me but I’ll definitely be checking out some of the others too.

I was signed off to run solo with BMW CCA, but that was a loooong time ago and, honestly, I prefer having an instructor along as I learn a lot more that way. The biggest perk of getting into their “top” run group was just not getting held up by people that would refuse to give a Mini a point by. (egos!)

Im jealous of “minutes” from LRP. I’m ~ 30 minutes away so shouldn’t complain, but wish I was closer.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:25 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 170 Posts

Welcome back to the habit. I second the recommendations for CVR PCA and SCDA. I've run with SCDA more than any other group. Good mix of cars of all types, and good people. LRP is their home track, so they have tons of DE events there every season. Also, they run a car control clinic at LRP a few times a year, often in conjunction with a DE day--car control in the morning, and DE on the track in the afternoon. A good day of fun as long as you don't ruin your tires during the car control morning. The car control clinic utilizes LRP's infield wet skidpad and small autocross circuit. It's a great way to get comfortable sliding the car and exploring its limits safely. Probably a really good idea in order to get a feel for the new car and shake your cobwebs out. And my couple of times with CVR have been amazing. Probably one of the best-run groups I've encountered.

I've had mixed experiences with other groups at LRP. BMW CCA was frustrating. I'm all about safety, but they were almost smothering in their nannying, IMO. The other extreme was NY's Ferrari Club chapter--it was a real mess. On one hand multiple people refusing to give point-bys, and on the other, at least one hothead in a 360 Modena track car who took it upon himself to openly pass with wild abandon. I was passing a car on the front straight at about 110mph (with a point-by) when this guy came up behind us both and tried to go three-wide without a point-by. If I hadn't seen him in my mirror sweeping to the side of us, he would have plowed right into the back of me. I believe one of FCA's instructors is here on rennlist, and he was alarmed by that behavior--he said he would mention it to the group.

Hooked on Driving is another good option, as is Chin Motorsports if they run at LRP. My experience with Chin events at Watkins Glen and other tracks has been excellent.

Here's an old video of sliding my 2011 M3 around the LRP infield autocross circuit during an SCDA car control clinic. Good times and toasted tires at the end. Pardon the poor resolution of the RaceKeeper camera setup.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:48 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

NNJR-PCA Mid April event. (April 17-18). Good group. Come out and see us.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:06 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Very nice! It’s really good to hear so many recommendations for CVR. As a relatively new member to the P family, I’m as guilty as most with preconceptions about the “typical” owner. Some of that was based upon my experiences seeing guys at LRP showing up with cars they could afford but couldn’t drive. High point of that behavior was my wife kicking *** in her run group in her Mini only to be totally snubbed by a dude after the session when he found out his driving in his “proper” track car was trounced by a girl. She found that from BMW drivers too of course.

Honsetly, if not for the really good community of people I’ve seen through lurking on this forum, I may not have even considered a PCA chapter event. My hope is that this group is mostly representative of the type of people that show up at a DE event. (seems like it would be).

Great recommendation for the car control clinic. Literally everything about driving a Mini around the track quickly is probably backwards from what is needed in a 911.

I’m not sure I’ll do the Glen this season, but getting there is a goal for sure.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:07 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 177mph
NNJR-PCA Mid April event. (April 17-18). Good group. Come out and see us.
I may well do that.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:21 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

SCDA usually has at least one unmuffled day at LRP as well. I haven't run with them since Elvian has taken over, but he was always Ian's right hand man.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone here frequent LRP?