Sponsored by:

Announcing the PCA Sim Racing series

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Announcing the PCA Sim Racing series

For the first time, Porsche Club of America members can race door-to-door with fellow PCA members in the first officially sanctioned PCA National iRacing simulation racing series. This simulated online racing series is exclusively for PCA primary members, co-members, and PCA Juniors in good standing. Registration will open February 1, 2019 at 12 PM EST. Sign up at http://www.pcasimracing.org

The eight-race series is specifically geared toward PCA members with PC-based sim racing experience, particularly in iRacing. The top 60 fastest and safest drivers will have exclusive access to race with fellow PCA members on eight iconic North American race tracks. The top 30 qualifiers for each event will go on to race in a 45-minute live broadcasted event including two commentators, graphical display of the race running order, racers' names and even the racers' PCA Region logos. The entire series will be professionally hosted and broadcast by Podium eSports, LLC on the iRacing eSports Network. Racers who qualify 31-60 will race in a separate 45-minute race with published results.

The top-three finishers in the championship series will not only have National PCA bragging rights, but amazing awards as well. The Porsche Club of America Sim Racing series has been created to emulate the PCA Club Racing program by racing on the same tracks, in the same cars as the PCA Club Racing GTC7 class.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:22 AM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Wowza! This is a cool program. Any costs involved other than a PCA membership and an iRacing account? I’ll register and see where I end up. Could be fun.

Edit: No every fees. Entry fees are waived as a benefit of PCA membership

Registration Procedure
• PCA Members should log into pcasimracing.org/ with their PCA username and password.
• Once logged-in, you will be sent to a secure page where you will be asked the following entry
details:
1. Racingteamname
2. Requestedfirstandsecondchoicecarnumberfrom01to99 3. YourPCAmembernumber
4. YouriRacing.comaccountnumber
• You should then upload and submit your replay file for registration.
• The deadline for submission of replays is Wednesday, February 20th at 11:59 PM.
Replay File Criteria
• Run one uninterrupted 10-lap Test Session (not any other session) at Laguna Seca with the afternoon setting with default weather and no dynamic sky.
• You must complete 10 consecutive laps within the one replay file.
• Spliced together replay files will not be accepted for submission.
• Use any car setup configuration you want.
• One replay file accepted per PCA member.
• Files must be submitted in .rpy, or compressed .zip, or .rar format.
• Once your replay file has been submitted, no further replay entries will be accepted.
• Your 10 lap replay file will be reviewed lap-by-lap.
• Your lap times will be recorded and a combined time established.
• Your incidents will be recorded and a combined incident value established.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:10 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Glad I checked before opening a new thread.

Just submitted my replay file this morning. Got an email saying they had 27 applications already, so might be pretty good?

Not entirely sure what their criteria will be so I kept it clean and consistent. Did 10 laps with their weather requirements in the GT3 Cup at Laguna, incident free, averaged 1:25.4 over the 10 laps with a best of a 1:24.9.

I had another set of 10 that was a little quicker on average but had a 1x. I opted to go with the clean submission.

Where did everybody else wind up?
Old 02-03-2019, 10:47 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Just to clarify, you can use any car (non p car)?
Old 02-03-2019, 12:16 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987

Just submitted my replay file this morning. Got an email saying they had 27 applications already, so might be pretty good?

Not entirely sure what their criteria will be so I kept it clean and consistent. Did 10 laps with their weather requirements in the GT3 Cup at Laguna, incident free, averaged 1:25.4 over the 10 laps with a best of a 1:24.9.

I had another set of 10 that was a little quicker on average but had a 1x. I opted to go with the clean submission.

Fixed setup or open setup? If open mind sharing the tweaks?
Old 02-03-2019, 12:49 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Just FYI (and @ajcjr ) - I emailed one of the folks to ask for clarification, since it wasn't clear to me (or two other local friends who are interested):

Not only will the league run the GT3 Cup - but your replay submission files must ALSO USE THE GT3 Cup.

The documentation said something to the effect of "Any car configuration may be used" - which some of us interpreted as "any car" and "any setup". But that wasn't correct. The league will used a fixed setup file - but for the qualifying replays, you can use any setup file.

@audipwr1 Here's my setup file. It likely started off life as a VRS setup for Sonoma, that a guy from my regular league night modified. Then I tweaked it some more for Laguna.
http://omniglh.net/iracing/laguna.sto
Old 02-03-2019, 12:52 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

And it sounds like the "fixed setup" that will be used in the league is the default/baseline Cup file. (ugh...)

So throw down some fast laps with your own setup to qualify.... then start getting used to the baseline.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:45 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Just FYI (and @ajcjr ) - I emailed one of the folks to ask for clarification, since it wasn't clear to me (or two other local friends who are interested):

Not only will the league run the GT3 Cup - but your replay submission files must ALSO USE THE GT3 Cup.

The documentation said something to the effect of "Any car configuration may be used" - which some of us interpreted as "any car" and "any setup". But that wasn't correct. The league will used a fixed setup file - but for the qualifying replays, you can use any setup file.

@audipwr1 Here's my setup file. It likely started off life as a VRS setup for Sonoma, that a guy from my regular league night modified. Then I tweaked it some more for Laguna.
http://omniglh.net/iracing/laguna.sto
thanks for the info!
Old 02-04-2019, 02:24 PM
jmazz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is really exciting and I hope it is the start of something big. I only have 2 issues with it.
1 - I'm probably not fast enough to be one of the 60.
2 - That car is barely drivable with the base setup.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:37 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jmazz
This is really exciting and I hope it is the start of something big. I only have 2 issues with it.
1 - I'm probably not fast enough to be one of the 60.
2 - That car is barely drivable with the base setup.
Ya not looking forward to the baseline set but at least the brake bias is cockpit adjustable still.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:56 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

This looks very cool.
As a newbie can I ask what type of system would you need to partake?
Old 02-08-2019, 06:57 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

We have had a great response, with 110 racers signed up so far!

Aaron
Old 02-18-2019, 07:33 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Driver8
We have had a great response, with 110 racers signed up so far!

Aaron
Ok not to be a whiner before things even start buuuuuut....

What are the odds we can convince a pro team or something to develop setup file recommendations to run for each track? John Tecce from BGB was active in our old Rennlist league for a while. There's a few others out there with 991.2 Cup setup experience that might be willing to offer some services too...

The baseline is just so awful.... I fear the races will just wind up being a crashfest, or a tiptoe dance. In my time with the Cup in iRacing it's really setup dependent, needing tweaks for each track to actually perform.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:33 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Ok not to be a whiner before things even start buuuuuut....

What are the odds we can convince a pro team or something to develop setup file recommendations to run for each track? John Tecce from BGB was active in our old Rennlist league for a while. There's a few others out there with 991.2 Cup setup experience that might be willing to offer some services too...

The baseline is just so awful.... I fear the races will just wind up being a crashfest, or a tiptoe dance. In my time with the Cup in iRacing it's really setup dependent, needing tweaks for each track to actually perform.
Heya! Elliott Skeer here, 2015 IMSA GT3 Cup Champ and iRacing Alpha developer (Evil Scientist advisor behind the Cup, RSR, and a few more). More than happy to help both the series itself and anyone/everyone with driving and setup! iRacing is actually a fantastic training tool that has some extremely powerful third party applications that can be used for some real world level coaching and race prep. Always happy to answer all the questions I can about whatever you may want to know!

Old 02-19-2019, 09:24 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick lap times! I was only able to manage a 1:26.2. I didn't change my setup from baseline. I haven't driven the cup in months (race the 488 GT3). I wish the series would use the RSR.

Quick Reply: Announcing the PCA Sim Racing series