Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got back from Porsche 2 day DE.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 11:13 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Got back from Porsche 2 day DE.....

.........in Birmingham, AL-- what an incredible experience.

I can't say enough good things about the entire weekend and the quality of the instruction. For people with limited or no track experience, it's simply incredible. From the instruction on the track, to skid pad, autocross, slalom, they put it all together in a way that I imagine would be hard to top.

As far as the cars go, we drove the 991.2 GTS, 991.2 Turbo S, and the 718 cayman GTS on the track. All equipped with ceramic brakes. We also rotated through the panamera turbo S and Macan GTS for slalom and braking exercises.

Gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised by the 718 GTS. Absolutely incredible in sport plus mode/pdk. So nimble and capable. And the exhaust........damn. It was loud, and sounded much better than I was expecting (given all the criticism I've read).
The turbo S was an absolute blast -- an absolute hammer, and now I 'get it'. That car is truly a do everything car for DD that doubles as a super car on the track.

An amazing weekend that got me hooked...........thinking hard about going on to the masters class.

Last edited by bruinmd; 01-25-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:44 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Welcome to the slope.....
Old 01-25-2019, 12:41 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

For Masters, check the schedule and add the MastersR 1 day for 3 days total at Barber.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:24 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

And let's save you some time :-)
Check the race cars classified on this forum as well
Old 01-25-2019, 09:38 AM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by breljohn
You mean when I'm ready to get a used turbo S?
Old 01-25-2019, 09:38 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by breljohn
May as well go buy a 3/4 Ton Diesel and a nice 24' enclosed aluminum trailer too!
Old 01-25-2019, 09:48 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary R.
May as well go buy a 3/4 Ton Diesel and a nice 24' enclosed aluminum trailer too!
Obviously
Old 01-25-2019, 09:49 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bruinmd
A Turbo S or anything else.
Once the bug bites...
Old 01-25-2019, 10:03 AM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

lol, I've been bitten years ago.

I've had a 987 Cayman S followed by a 997.2 GTS, which I tracked once.
Both have since been sold.

I needed more rudimentary instruction, which this course accomplished. And, of course, it was the perfect ad campaign by porsche to get people to want their first porsche, or people like me to go back and get another one.

I'm on a list for a GT3, but until this weekend was thinking I would get a 992 targa 4GTS when the time comes.

Now, however, I'm thinking more along the lines of getting a used 991.2 turbo S (in about a year or 18 months), and then maybe add a boxter or cayman GTS in a manual.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:18 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to break it to you, but a Turbo/S is not a very good track car. No offense, but it's too soft, too heavy, AWD, too much torque and too fast for newbies. All of that leads to parking in the corners - while STILL overdriving their skills with aid of AWD and PSM - then just flooring it once the car gets straight. Then reaching 160 mph without realizing what any of it really means....

Don't get me wrong, Turbos can go stupid fast on a track in the hands of a very skilled driver, but there's a reason why most Turbo owners change track cars to something else sooner or later (often sooner). If you meant a street cruiser that you may track once in a great while, then that may be a different story.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:09 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Get yourself a nice low-hp car that handles well (Minis are perfect ) and spend some time (ideally, LOTS of time) really learning how to drive it.

Then, move up from there.

Or don't

Gary
Old 01-25-2019, 12:17 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbuff
Get yourself a nice low-hp car that handles well (Minis are perfect ) and spend some time (ideally, LOTS of time) really learning how to drive it.

Then, move up from there.

Or don't

Gary
This was my initial plan...... a spec miata or even the RF, and then work my way up.

But I was ruined after this weekend. lol
Old 01-25-2019, 07:22 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Sorry to break it to you, but a Turbo/S is not a very good track car. No offense, but it's too soft, too heavy, AWD, too much torque and too fast for newbies. All of that leads to parking in the corners - while STILL overdriving their skills with aid of AWD and PSM - then just flooring it once the car gets straight. Then reaching 160 mph without realizing what any of it really means....

Don't get me wrong, Turbos can go stupid fast on a track in the hands of a very skilled driver, but there's a reason why most Turbo owners change track cars to something else sooner or later (often sooner). If you meant a street cruiser that you may track once in a great while, then that may be a different story.
As an instructor, this has been my experience as well. The first time I rode in one I actually thought the suspension was worn out but found after asking around to a number of P-car experts that "that's how they are". Now having instructed in several, I concur.

-Mike
Old 01-25-2019, 07:28 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

This was my initial plan...... a spec miata or even the RF, and then work my way up.

But I was ruined after this weekend. lol
Do not discount the Miata until at least riding in one -- or better yet, driving one. It is a grown up sized go cart that costs literally pennies compared to a P-car to run on the track. Learn to drive one those fast, and you can drive anything fast.

One of the least effective upgrades to faster/better driving is horsepower -- it is the nut behind the wheel that needs the most attention and resources.

-Mike
Old 01-25-2019, 07:34 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Do not discount the Miata until at least riding in one -- or better yet, driving one. It is a grown up sized go cart that costs literally pennies compared to a P-car to run on the track. Learn to drive one those fast, and you can drive anything fast.

One of the least effective upgrades to faster/better driving is horsepower -- it is the nut behind the wheel that needs the most attention and resources.

-Mike
op -- welcome to the club, the insanity (and the joy)

+1 on above... spec miata experience will make you a much better driver, and fast, then when you get back in a Porsche you will be a hunter and not the hunted

Quick Reply: Got back from Porsche 2 day DE.....