Sponsored by:

PDK in the Rain

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 12:12 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts
Default PDK in the Rain

Last weekend I had a student with a PDK (I drive a MT) who was a bit abusive with the pedals. Every time I get in a PDK car I am amazed at how intuitive and awesome the PDK is. It rained on Sunday which presented an excellent chance to smoothen out those pedal inputs. However, the PDK kept kicking down a gear when you wanted the car to corner in a higher gear with less torque (wet track, actively raining). We experimented on the straight, in 6th gear, and slowly squeezed the throttle. Once the throttle gets to a certain point (my student searched RL after the session and found that point to be around 85% throttle) the PDK would kick down - we were in full Manual Mode. We managed the remainder of the rain sessions by short shifting in order to prevent kick-down so we never got that squeeze to full throttle on track out.

I am looking for advise from others. Is there a work around to prevent the kick-down (as noted we were in full Manual Mode)? Are there any tips or tricks to work through this? PDK drivers need to know and PDK instructors need to understand. Thanks
Old 01-20-2019, 12:29 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

In my experience, the PDK will behave as you have stated above until it learns what it is you are doing. For example, in full auto it will initially upshift around 8500 rpm. After a couple of sessions, it will shift at 9,000. The same happens on downshifts, although not a the limit of 9,000. . I have not tried to intentionally stay in a higher gear in the rain, because I won't drive in the rain. Perhaps, another will have a similar experience and provide some guidance.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:52 PM
fcap
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

991.1 PDK, Sport+, Manual mode. My understanding and experience is that you can force a downshift even in manual if you push the throttle into the kickdown switch. About the last 1/8" of pedal travel that you can feel as higher pedal pressure than the normal travel. I have also read that the PDK will upshift automatically in manual if the kickdown switch is depressed when the motor hits redline.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:13 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

In full manual mode, sport + from what I understand and have experienced, if you hammer down on the throttle the kick-down will come on and downshift. I've never had it upshift on me, although if you hit redline it should.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:51 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Non-GT cars have a "switch" at the end of throttle pedal with a distinct feel of resistance. When you push "through" that it kicks down, even in full manual mode. If you have a GT car, it never kicks down in manual mode.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:19 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bccars
Non-GT cars have a "switch" at the end of throttle pedal with a distinct feel of resistance. When you push "through" that it kicks down, even in full manual mode. If you have a GT car, it never kicks down in manual mode.
And for the record - I hate the kick-down switch.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:17 PM
conceptDawg
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

One thing you could try is to have them change from Sport+ to Sport. It sounds like the student is hard on the throttle and the tighter throttle response of Sport+ isn't doing them any favors in the rain. And if they have TC turned on still, Sport mode will also help them a little more in the rain comparied to Sport+.
Once they get comfortable in Sport mode then they can try Sport+ again.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:39 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by conceptDawg
One thing you could try is to have them change from Sport+ to Sport. It sounds like the student is hard on the throttle and the tighter throttle response of Sport+ isn't doing them any favors in the rain. And if they have TC turned on still, Sport mode will also help them a little more in the rain comparied to Sport+.
Once they get comfortable in Sport mode then they can try Sport+ again.
this, I run in sport more than sport + simply due to the shift characteristics.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:35 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
this, I run in sport more than sport + simply due to the shift characteristics.
I often do as well.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:45 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
And for the record - I hate the kick-down switch.

Takes a little practice to not " floor " the loud pedal in non GT cars because of the kick down. It can be learned but it can also be exciting on corner exit in some situations...
Old 01-22-2019, 09:31 AM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSA
Takes a little practice to not " floor " the loud pedal in non GT cars because of the kick down. It can be learned but it can also be exciting on corner exit in some situations...
If you keep hitting the kickdown switch, try using shoes with thin soles and don't treat the accelerator pedal as an on-off switch. You can feel the resistance quite easily in driving shoes.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:44 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not exactly the same - but I had a student this weekend in a 500+ WHP Audi with a dual clutch trans. Same thing. To make matters worse - the car had been tuned so when the turbo spooled - it hit HARD. The only way around the unanticipated disruption was to go full manual mode.

Needless to say - the car was a riot.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:58 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

OP what car is this
Old 01-23-2019, 09:51 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
OP what car is this
2012 991.1S with SC, very similar to my car (see avatar) except I drive a MT.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:30 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

FWIW when I took the course at Barber it rained and they told us not to use sport +. Made sense to me...

Quick Reply: PDK in the Rain