Sponsored by:

NASCAR Style (Onboard Video)!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 11:42 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts
Default NASCAR Style (Onboard Video)!

Friend of mine just acquired a GT2/ASA type "monte carlo" and he was kind enough to let me throw it around for a few sessions. Car is a whole lot of speed/$! I had driven one once before about 12 years ago and forogt how much fun they are.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

That’s cool! These things are much more competent than folks give them credit for. Thanks for posting!
Old 01-20-2019, 12:14 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
That’s cool! These things are much more competent than folks give them credit for. Thanks for posting!
Yes! They are very quick. This particular car makes about 430 rwhp, weight is around 2800#. The big sidewall bias plys make the car move around a lot but it is very forgiving and you can pull tons of slip angle with no real adverse effects. Long wheelbase and wide track make for a lot of stability. The pedals are set up so that is not possible to heel/toe, so all left foot braking and shifting without the clutch which is tons of fun. Love the dog gearbox!

For reference, on this course in my 996 GT3R I have done a low 57 (so only about half second quicker than this stock car with an order of magnitude more cost!). Admittedly this type of course is very well suited to the stock car and not very good for my P-Car.... but I think this car probably could do a 1:22 or so at Willow.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:28 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by claykos
Yes! They are very quick. This particular car makes about 430 rwhp, weight is around 2800#. The big sidewall bias plys make the car move around a lot but it is very forgiving and you can pull tons of slip angle with no real adverse effects. Long wheelbase and wide track make for a lot of stability. The pedals are set up so that is not possible to heel/toe, so all left foot braking and shifting without the clutch which is tons of fun. Love the dog gearbox!

For reference, on this course in my 996 GT3R I have done a low 57 (so only about half second quicker than this stock car with an order of magnitude more cost!). Admittedly this type of course is very well suited to the stock car and not very good for my P-Car.... but I think this car probably could do a 1:22 or so at Willow.
they look like a great deal for a track car and is on my list of cars. My issue is how do you know what you are buying, are there certain manufacturers or chassis that are safer or better, price wise they look very reasonable, also was concerned w getting parts.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:52 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

There's a bunch of those that run in various groups at the Glen in sedan and pickup forms--they're doing sub-2s all day long. Hell, they're virtually all motor!

And buy stuff like brake rotors at NAPA

Gary
Old 01-20-2019, 01:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr

they look like a great deal for a track car and is on my list of cars. My issue is how do you know what you are buying, are there certain manufacturers or chassis that are safer or better, price wise they look very reasonable, also was concerned w getting parts.
In the geographical heart of the country for these cars, and there is a LOT of junk out there. Plus, there are a lot of cars that look similar that are suited for completely different things.

There are also “paper tigers,” cars with a good chassis (or not) with junk motors in them when people realized the real McCoy took a lot more care and a lot more money to duplicate after they blew up the originals that they came with.

The keys are to ally yourself with a successful team with demonstrated road racing experience and buy through them or with their recommendation. Doesn’t have to be a big team, if you ask around the same names will keep coming up. Around southern Virginia near VIR, one of the most respected shops, and one where you can get what you pay for, is Peyton Sellers’ shop.

Of course, you can easily go “over the top” and approach top tier teams in the Mooresville, North Carolina area directly, but these cars, like ex-top level IMSA/ALMS sports cars, require the ministrations of highly experienced crew and specialized equipment to run and care for them, so tight are the tolerances.

I used to be a major snob, until I saw and worked with some very well sorted, well driven but very (relatively) inexpensive road-race stock cars get into the times of the GTD and T/A cars a few years ago. Amazing! A sports and GT car snob no more!
Old 01-20-2019, 01:33 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I run with a few guys that run these- the $$ to fun factor can't be beat.

Phil
Old 01-20-2019, 02:03 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

As someone who is around theses cars and championship caliber teams, they are not as cheap as you think at a high level. No one who is fast is running rotors from NAPA.

There are significant details that change between chassis, setup requirements, and maintenance.

Peter's advice to find a top team is solid. There are a number of old, clapped out oval cars run on road courses. While they might be quick, they are a mess.

PM me if you want some more details and I can point you towards some solid cars.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:52 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
As someone who is around theses cars and championship caliber teams, they are not as cheap as you think at a high level. No one who is fast is running rotors from NAPA.

There are significant details that change between chassis, setup requirements, and maintenance.

Peter's advice to find a top team is solid. There are a number of old, clapped out oval cars run on road courses. While they might be quick, they are a mess.

PM me if you want some more details and I can point you towards some solid cars.
For sure there are ways to spend a lot of money on one of these kinds of cars, and that's what it takes to be at the front in TA2 or one of the pro NASCAR series. As with every other kind of race car, there are nice ones for good prices and also big messes. The car I was driving certainly isn't going to run at the front of a TA2 field - but it is a nice, well kept car that is very quick for something around $20k. I have seen some that are total messes as well. Just depends on who took care of it over the years.... I've also seen plenty of old 911 or BMW race cars that are total messes.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:08 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach

In the geographical heart of the country for these cars, and there is a LOT of junk out there. Plus, there are a lot of cars that look similar that are suited for completely different things.

There are also “paper tigers,” cars with a good chassis (or not) with junk motors in them when people realized the real McCoy took a lot more care and a lot more money to duplicate after they blew up the originals that they came with.

The keys are to ally yourself with a successful team with demonstrated road racing experience and buy through them or with their recommendation. Doesn’t have to be a big team, if you ask around the same names will keep coming up. Around southern Virginia near VIR, one of the most respected shops, and one where you can get what you pay for, is Peyton Sellers’ shop.

Of course, you can easily go “over the top” and approach top tier teams in the Mooresville, North Carolina area directly, but these cars, like ex-top level IMSA/ALMS sports cars, require the ministrations of highly experienced crew and specialized equipment to run and care for them, so tight are the tolerances.

I used to be a major snob, until I saw and worked with some very well sorted, well driven but very (relatively) inexpensive road-race stock cars get into the times of the GTD and T/A cars a few years ago. Amazing! A sports and GT car snob no more!
thank you for that info
Old 01-21-2019, 12:09 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski

thank you
Old 01-21-2019, 09:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

looked like fun, but I don't think a 1:22 is in the cards for that car at willow springs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML-IdLshBhw

In the GASS races ,the stock cars that look like what you are talking about run about 126 for the best in that class.
The very fastest of this type of stock car at Willow, that has 700hp, runs a 1:22 with the best of the drivers. that's NOT the car you were playing around in.

Last edited by mark kibort; 01-21-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:39 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mark kibort
looked like fun, but I don't think a 1:22 is in the cards for that car at willow springs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML-IdLshBhw

In the GASS races ,the stock cars that look like what you are talking about run about 126 for the best in that class.
The very fastest of this type of stock car at Willow, that has 700hp, runs a 1:22 with the best of the drivers. that's NOT the car you were playing around in.
I remember the old NASA ASC series that used crate motors would run 1:22 or 1:23. Doesn't really matter. They are quick cars and fun to drive.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

I remember the old NASA ASC series that used crate motors would run 1:22 or 1:23. Doesn't really matter. They are quick cars and fun to drive.
the NASA socal record for nasa ASC for this car is held by Sctott R. at 125.6 . and yes, they used crate motors, but they didn't get near 1:22. however, I would agree, they are a blast to drive..... I drove one at Thill a while ago and it was so raw! got to love it!=leftScott Rueschenberg01:25.6422/9/2003WS CW

just an FYI.. a quote from someone at the top of most all club racing stock car series...…………." Ahh the ole ASC series. Nope never seen it with a 604 Crate especially on a Bias ply slick 1:26-1:27’s. They did use to have an “Unlimited Class” those cars should have been able to run those times. "
Old 01-24-2019, 12:27 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

I based my Willow guesstimate on the fact that I've done a 57.2 at this track in my GT3R which runs 1:40.0 at Cal Speedway, 1:30 at Laguna, 2:15 at COTA,..... Darren Law in a highly modified 4.0L grand Am 997 ran mid 56's at this track. I haven't had the 3R at Willow, but cars with comparable times at those other tracks run 1:20 or better at Willow. I did a 57.7 in this stock car after having driven it a total of 30 minutes. Now this short autocross like track is favorable to the stock car versus a 996, and Willow will be more friendly to my 996. Maybe I was overestimating by a couple seconds.

Quick search turned up this from the old ASC days:

"Sunday was an absolute scorcher of a day with the temperature rising into the triple digits. The track temp was 145 degrees at race time. Scott Ivie crushed the previous fast time for ASC in qualifying with a blistering time of 1:24.730, at an average speed of 106.220. This was 9/10ths of a second faster than the previous record set in February 2003 on a much cooler day"

So they ran 1:24 with a crate motor producing about ~75 rwhp less than the car I was driving on 15 years ago tire technology when it was 100F ambient.

Either way, doesn't really matter. 1:23, 1:24, 1:25....not any other car I can think of that will go 1:25 at Willow for well under $30k and under $600 for a set of stickers.

Quick Reply: NASCAR Style (Onboard Video)!