Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Willow Springs resurfaced: first impressions (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1125012-willow-springs-resurfaced-first-impressions.html)

zzyzx 01-20-2019 09:55 AM

Willow Springs resurfaced: first impressions

I drove the newly resurfaced big track at Willow yesterday. All of the track has been resurfaced except Turns 1 and most of Turn 2, though they will probably have that done before the next weekend.
They only resurfaced the track, and all the old bumps and undulations are still there.
Subjectively, I didn't feel it was any faster, but I figured that once I downloaded my lap timer (no digital readout) when I got home, I might be surprised. Well, it turns out that objectively my times were actually slower.
My fastest time yesterday was a low 1:33, which is a pretty ****ty time for my car. Back in November I ran low 1:32s, and my best time ever on these same tires was a low 1:30.
Of course it's possible that something is off on my car or that I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think so. The conditions were perfect--cold and not even a little windy.
It's good that they resurfaced it, nevertheless. This will keep the track from deteriorating for some time. For the track owners to have fully repaved it would just be way too expensive and would close the track for a long time.

ProCoach 01-20-2019 11:42 AM

Pretty normal for a super green, repaved track top coat surface to have to “break in” while oils, binding agents and aggregate are fresh.

Some tracks use more epoxy than others to bind the stone together, which is why they’re quick off the bat.

Would like to hear from a pro team with data, at some point.

multi21 01-20-2019 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by zzyzx (Post 15579477)
I drove the newly resurfaced big track at Willow yesterday. All of the track has been resurfaced except Turns 1 and most of Turn 2, though they will probably have that done before the next weekend.
They only resurfaced the track, and all the old bumps and undulations are still there.
Subjectively, I didn't feel it was any faster, but I figured that once I downloaded my lap timer (no digital readout) when I got home, I might be surprised. Well, it turns out that objectively my times were actually slower.
My fastest time yesterday was a low 1:33, which is a pretty ****ty time for my car. Back in November I ran low 1:32s, and my best time ever on these same tires was a low 1:30.
Of course it's possible that something is off on my car or that I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think so. The conditions were perfect--cold and not even a little windy.
It's good that they resurfaced it, nevertheless. This will keep the track from deteriorating for some time. For the track owners to have fully repaved it would just be way too expensive and would close the track for a long time.

Interesting. Red Bull's F1 team resurfaced the entire track in 2011 for a promotional commercial with Tom Cruise. The track got faster after the resurface. I'm not sure how long you need before a resurface but 7-8 years doesn't seem that long? I wish they would get a tractor out in the dirt and rake up all the rocks near the track surface so if you put 2 or 4 wheels off, it's not a catastrophe.

zzyzx 01-21-2019 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by multi21 (Post 15580851)
Interesting. Red Bull's F1 team resurfaced the entire track in 2011 for a promotional commercial with Tom Cruise. The track got faster after the resurface. I'm not sure how long you need before a resurface but 7-8 years doesn't seem that long? I wish they would get a tractor out in the dirt and rake up all the rocks near the track surface so if you put 2 or 4 wheels off, it's not a catastrophe.

That's funny, because someone at the event someone mentioned that the track got resurfaced this time because they are filming the upcoming Matt Damon movie about the Cobra-Ferrari war. Not sure though if that is really the reason why they resurfaced it.

Probably it's already been discussed elsewhere, but here's a link to a story about the movie.

https://www.motor1.com/news/250458/m...-ferrari-film/

2BWise 01-23-2019 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by zzyzx (Post 15581483)
That's funny, because someone at the event someone mentioned that the track got resurfaced this time because they are filming the upcoming Matt Damon movie about the Cobra-Ferrari war. Not sure though if that is really the reason why they resurfaced it.

Probably it's already been discussed elsewhere, but here's a link to a story about the movie.

https://www.motor1.com/news/250458/m...-ferrari-film/

They were out filming parts of the movie last winter. We were at the track while they were bringing in all the prop cars and hair/makeup trailers. Filming stared the day we left. The track had been lined with 1/2 tires painted white sitting about 10 ft off the road surface and all the corner worker stations were covered in canvas tarps. They also had added a S/F stand on the right hand side of the track which hadn't been there before. Any of that stuff still out there?