Sponsored by:

Chatterbox STINKS

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 09:19 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chatterbox STINKS

My apologies for venting, but with all this technology, wireless capability and new inventions constantly driving markets is ANYONE able to explain why in the world there's no viable replacement yet for the antiquated Chatterbox system and student headset?

I love giving back to my passion, but between the squeaks, squeals, broken headsets or cushions each event that get ripped off or plain broken I can't buy enough of these stupid replacements?

Does anyone have a lead onto something better I'm not seeing??
Old 01-15-2019, 09:42 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 800 Posts

Are your students busting them? Not really surprised if that is the case. Had a couple of them myself with the "its not mine" attitude.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:42 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Speedcom intercom. https://www.speedcomracing.com/intercom
Old 01-15-2019, 10:00 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Just looked this up. It's exactly what I was looking for, THANK YOU!!
The intercom system looks identical to the Stilo setup which I purchased a few years ago, but those knuckleheads wouldn't build a single ear headset.
I tried calling them, but they're closed. Will try again first thing in the morning.
Many thanks again.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 PM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

What is the size of the box? As an instructor in the right seat of a student's car, what do you do with the box? Hold it in your lap?

Its nice this can be attached to a roll bar and hard wired, but most of the time I'll be using it in someone else's car, and a different someone else every event.

The (only?) good thing about the Chatterbox is that it's small and attaches to the side of a helmet. That and it's almost inexpensive enough to be disposable.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:02 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

It's easily hand holdable. I've been using a Peltor (that's not made anymore) for 2 years and it's great. My helmet is set up with IMSA radios, so I use 1 student headset. I've checked these out and talked to the owner of Speedcom - these are really good and the best available right now IMHO. No connection to them other than having looked at them and checked them out.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:00 AM
ALE
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Agreed.
Linda @ Apex just hooked me up with a Trac-Com unit. It has a cable that plugs into my Roux helmet and a much more substantial student headset. The sound quality is also superior to Chatterbox.
https://apexperformance.net/shop/drivers/communications-racers/trac-com/
Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

We sell the Trac-Com units. Everyone we've sold them to agree they are definitely better than Chatterbox (which we sell too because some people keep trying!). Before we got Trac-Com, we personally probably went through 3 Chatterbox units.

https://naroescapemotorsports.com/pr...intercom-copy/

Give me a call if you're interested.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-16-2019, 08:44 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

we have trac com and speedcom available and can explain pros and cons if each both much better than chatterbox though!
Old 01-16-2019, 10:01 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

I bought the speed om when it came out. Great unit, well made, and great sound quality... But the wires are stupid long, as a portable unit you have a mass of wire to deal with...
Old 01-16-2019, 10:06 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had to purchase another Chatterbox control module because the switch broke on my last one. I've not had a single issue with my headsets over the last 2 years - I made sure to zip tie them so the wire can't pull - and I make sure to tell my students the correct way to remove the headsets.

That said - my next unit will be the Traqcom - it's just better all around and certainly more robust - but I haven't found the Chatterbox to be the hopeless disaster that people tend to describe it as.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:56 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts

Trac-com is great for Stilo to Stilo helmets. Really nothing more to be desired. Lasts a long time on a 9v.
It's less good w/ the student headset, although like always, it helps if the student positions it well. The student headset is robust.
It's really pretty weak when plugged into a retrofit wiring kit with an IMSA jack. So frustrating not to be heard or able to hear.

If I was only working with novice drivers I'd probably prefer the Trac-Com, since it's portable and fairly robust (weakest point is the tendancy for the volume ***** to come off = less weight!)
But working with solo drivers that have wired in their helmets can be really frustrating, so I'm picking up at SpeedCom this year, and probably selling the Trac-Com.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:10 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Difool
It's really pretty weak when plugged into a retrofit wiring kit with an IMSA jack. So frustrating not to be heard or able to hear.
I'm curious what issue you're having?
There is an adapter cable to plug into an IMSA jack helmet kit and into the Trac-Com. That's what we use ourselves and it works fine.
One of the other nice things about the TracCom is you can have an output cable to plug into a GoPro. That way, if the student has a gopro in their car, they can review it later and hear the instruction they got over the video. Very useful IMO.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:58 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I love my Rosso
Old 01-17-2019, 01:39 AM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Totally agree re: Chatterbox being a sh%t product. My God, it's 2019 and there are 1,000 shops in China that can turn out a better product in quantity at a lower cost. Yet ... I'm on my second Chatterbox. When it (inevitably) dies, I guess it's back to yelling.

Quick Reply: Chatterbox STINKS