Sponsored by:

Good article on Point-by

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 07:59 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
You need it in spades at a track like Mid-O with all the abrupt elevation changes on the back part of the course.....look in mirror, see nothing, then look again and see that you're about to be run over

If you see a blue flag and you check your mirror and see nothing get ready!

Gary
Exactly, I remember my first few sessions in the faster run group, I said to my instructor, "Why am I getting a Blue flag, there is no one behind me?"
Then boom!
In a couple seconds a GT3 was in my exhaust tips.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:13 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Thank you for making that, I hope you don't mind that I shared it here on Rennlist.
I had never seen anything like the videos with dots on the track, it is fantastic.
You're welcome, and I'm glad you liked it enough to share. I am glad to hear the dots on the track were effective. I am a very visual learner and so that's my style when I try to describe things
Old 01-18-2019, 09:18 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by Sven76
Some tracks are better at flag signals, over here in Europa Spa gets quite exited waving blue flags, which helps me in my underpowered GT4. It could be so simple, car in the rear mirror appears and you just let it pass. If you turn out to be faster, the other car lets you pass. Ego is often the issue, in particular for those with high powered and / or more expensive cars.
Agree - some tracks, it’s really hard to see the flaggers. Other tracks have super bright LED panels with the colors.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:24 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Again, this system does exist. It is a combination of eyesight and your rear view mirror.
Good ideas pave the road to nowhere sometimes.
You could have all the technology in the world. If EGO dominates Common Courtesy and good Track Etiquette, what good is technology going to do?
All the technology you need is in your rear view mirror. If you don't use it, what do you think a newer technology is going to accomplish?
Giving a point by is a pretty simple thing. It does not require Apple or Alphabet or Amazon to invent something new.
The rear view mirror is all the tech you need. Sometimes it really is that simple.
Leave the ego, take the mirror. (or leave the gun, take the cannolis as the case may be)...
Agree to disagree. Sometimes good ideas is what makes moves the world forward. Like how autonomous vehicles could save 30,000 lives a year in the US. Believe it or not, today’s street cars also have rearview mirrors.

They say 90% of problems are communications problems. “I thought the guy behind me really was slower.” There’s a reason why trackers have started to use data logging tools and GPS Track Time has what they have. The future of tracking will most certainly have advanced communications that drivers will benefit from. I’m not advocating nannies or autonomous actions where computers will take over. I’m advocating a notification system where car times are tracked and a yellow light flashes in your review mirror that displays a -4, 7, which means, “the guy coming up behind you is 4 seconds faster and will reach you buy turn 7, so let him pass between 7 and 8 on the straight.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:35 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

Agree to disagree. Believe it or not, today’s street cars also have rearview mirrors. I’m advocating a notification system where car times are tracked and a yellow light flashes in your review mirror that displays a -4, 7, which means, “the guy coming up behind you is 4 seconds faster and will reach you buy turn 7, so let him pass between 7 and 8 on the straight.p
Driving is too digital already. Don’t need more tech, but that’s just me. I agree that we can just agree to disagree. Maybe I’m alone, but I like the feeling of actually doing something because I was taught to do it than have a computer tell me when I need to point someone by. When that happens, the sport we know and love will cease to exist as we know it. I wanna do the work. It’s the human element that makes driving on a racetrack so enjoyable for me. I don’t want a computer telling me to do anything when I’m on the track. I wanna be doing all that stuff myself.
Agree to disagree. Valid points on both sides I suppose.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:18 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I’m not advocating nannies or autonomous actions where computers will take over. I’m advocating a notification system where car times are tracked and a yellow light flashes in your review mirror that displays a -4, 7, which means, “the guy coming up behind you is 4 seconds faster and will reach you buy turn 7, so let him pass between 7 and 8 on the straight.
Fine for wheel to wheel but HPDEs are non timed events. Insurance might have a say so as well as people doing these HPDEs being required to buy and add tech to their cars.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:43 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

I have found in the past that if you approach another driver and you display no ego when discussing why they didn't give a pass, one of two things happen; they either apologize and are nice about it or they don't take it well and later in the day come up an apologize. These guys usually do not realize what is happening and if no one tells them they never will.

additional thought: after thinking about this I would say 90% of the drivers I have approached over the years have been positive with a few bad apples...oh well

Last edited by Turbodan; 01-19-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:22 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a couple of thoughts on this subject.

First-the people that need to read this article and either become more self aware or drop their ego probably won't.

Second-while we should still cover this kind of stuff in drivers meetings and or possibly talk to "that guy" afterward, I do think as the person being held up at times that it really isn't a big deal. It's an HPDE. There are no prizes other than the car you brought. It's not to say that sometimes I lose a chance at a PB when I catch traffic, but that's part of the HPDE game. It's also why I do TT. It's also why others do W2W.

In short, teach and promote to watch mirrors and flags and to be liberal with point bys but as a driver being held up be more tolerant when it does.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:32 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I have a couple of thoughts on this subject.

First-the people that need to read this article and either become more self aware or drop their ego probably won't.

Second-while we should still cover this kind of stuff in drivers meetings and or possibly talk to "that guy" afterward, I do think as the person being held up at times that it really isn't a big deal. It's an HPDE. There are no prizes other than the car you brought. It's not to say that sometimes I lose a chance at a PB when I catch traffic, but that's part of the HPDE game. It's also why I do TT. It's also why others do W2W.

In short, teach and promote to watch mirrors and flags and to be liberal with point bys but as a driver being held up be more tolerant when it does.
The issue is ALL drivers need to be aware, that should be hammered into their heads when in the Green group from day 1. Think of what a DE would be like if no one gave a point by... It's a major part of being able to have fun and everyone needs to follow the rules, or leave if they can't.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:22 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
The issue is ALL drivers need to be aware, that should be hammered into their heads when in the Green group from day 1. Think of what a DE would be like if no one gave a point by... It's a major part of being able to have fun and everyone needs to follow the rules, or leave if they can't.
Good point.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:34 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
The issue is ALL drivers need to be aware....think of what a DE would be like if no one gave a point by...
I have driven in events (not PCA DEs and not races) where points were "optional"; sure does make you want to try real hard to know what's going on around you......

Gary
Old 01-19-2019, 01:25 PM
will968
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Share the track! It's more fun that way

Racer
Instructor
Track therapist

Quick Reply: Good article on Point-by