Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   SIM (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1122646-sim.html)

Fumes 01-06-2019 06:50 PM

SIM

Anyone have any experiences/opinions/recs w Simcraft vs Sim Seats USA?

Thrustmaster v Fanatec?

TIA!

Frank 993 C4S 01-06-2019 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fumes (Post 15546204)
Anyone have any experiences/opinions/recs w Simcraft vs Sim Seats USA?

Thrustmaster v Fanatec?

TIA!

I bought mine from Sim Seats and it was a great experience. The most important part is the brake pedal. Buy the most expensive one you can afford.

ajcjr 01-06-2019 09:00 PM

you can build a nice 80/20 rig as well, i just built one, assembly is easy and has some great adjustment ability. A direct drive wheel is great as well as good pedals.

ProCoach 01-06-2019 09:08 PM

Sim seats. Not far from you and great support.

smf32s 01-07-2019 06:02 PM

My SimSeats is nice and has been trouble free and easy to build. Definitely worth the upgraded pedals. I had them use one of my out dated seats from my Cup car too.

Stu

GTorTT 01-07-2019 06:20 PM

Based upon my research, I'd put Fanatec above Thrustmaster (if $ no issue), and in full disclosure, I'm looking at upgrading from Logitech 920 to the Fanatec setup. Was considering Fanatec new direct drive, but looks like availability has been pushed back 6 - 9 months as they sort out an electrical issue. Can't comment on SimSeats.

ajcjr 01-07-2019 07:58 PM

https://www.simracingbay.com/

direct drive steering wheel.

CosmosMpower 01-08-2019 05:40 PM

How much do you guys budget for a decent rig (non motion/hydraulics) starting from scratch?

ProCoach 01-08-2019 06:47 PM

$7500-$9500 is what I ask people to budget for a decent static sim, put together by someone else and supported... That last part is important. Don't care how much of a geek you think you are.

Thundermoose 01-08-2019 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This setup won an iracing championship a coupe of years ago

ProCoach 01-08-2019 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Thundermoose (Post 15551704)
This setup won an iracing championship a coupe of years ago

alien... ;)

I have a brand new G27 with all accessories for sale for $200 plus freight. Still a nice wheel and if you get a perfect pedal for the pedal assembly, could take someone who’s looking to save money pretty far!

Frank 993 C4S 01-08-2019 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by ProCoach (Post 15551811)

alien... ;)

I have a brand new G27 with all accessories for sale for $200 plus freight. Still a nice wheel and if you get a perfect pedal for the pedal assembly, could take someone who’s looking to save money pretty far!

Has anybody ever figured out how to adjust that perfect pedal?

ProCoach 01-08-2019 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S (Post 15551827)

Has anybody ever figured out how to adjust that perfect pedal?

Yes, there is a syringe to remove and to add fluid. Makes a big difference.

http://perfectpedal.com/products/per...stment_kit.php

ProCoach 01-09-2019 10:24 AM

I’ll walk that estimate number back a little.

If you have a good computer, or are racing on a less expensive sim already, than of course you can build up one or upgrade for less. The simple addition of $1K worth of pedals to an existing Thrustmaster, Fanatec or even Logitech wheel is a benefit out of proportion to the cost, as is a GPU upgrade or display upgrade.

It’s just like a car, a slippery slope. Most of the drivers who choose to investigate purchasing a sim for driver training and familiarity want to get good stuff, all together, right NOW! The time it takes to tweak calibrations, set up the computer for optimal sim performance and even load and optimize the sims themselves (and I would recommend more than just iRacing) is worth spending money on from the get go.

Ten years ago, I sold quite a few kits of components that I assembled, loaded, installed at their home and supported in the $5500-7500 range, with a good seat and frame, triple monitors (Rift wasn’t out yet) and pedals. It was a tough business model and got in the way of my primary work, at-track individual coaching. There were others that could do it better for less, Sim Seats being one of them. They’re still here, and I recommend them.

Static sims are still one of rhe best training tools around. The motion units, by far, sit dusty and unused in the corner after the novelty wears off and the motion becomes a distraction... just my .02

DTMiller 01-09-2019 10:35 AM

I used an existing computer with integrated graphics, a G27 set and a single monitor to be very competitive in iRacing a few years ago; I was all in for a marginal $300 or so.

It depends widely on what you want the sim to do. I "drove around" my set up; no feedback from the brake pedal and limited graphics information made it hard work which was in some ways a good thing. If you want to realistically replicate your car on track, you'd have to spend some money. If you want to learn new tracks and have some fun driving around and/or racing while waiting for spring you can do it much cheaper. Just like with cars, the answer is "how much do you want to spend?"