Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SIM

Old 01-12-2019, 11:14 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

I looked at the JCL V2 but decided on the Simlabs P1 because of it's standard profile usage. My research showed that JCL was using some proprietary cuts which made integration limited to mainly what they offer as accessories. People have done all sorts of DIY stuff with the P1.

I went with this setup since I'm 100%. The aesthetics of the wheel mean nothing in VR, not that it looks bad. It was plug n play. No drivers or software needed. https://www.simracingcoach.com/en/co...o/volante-gt1/ As with anything, you can spend as little or as much as you want but for me, I needed something VR friendly.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:59 AM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1
- Heusinkveld ultimate pedals. If you're in the US, get HPP pedals.
Why the pole position pedals over the ultimate for US?
Old 01-12-2019, 11:59 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

I also think that an excellent non-motion rig is a DIY project. Get on Iracing forums for helps. There are plenty who will give good advice. Here is my list:

- Sim Lab P1 chassis
- DD Simucube wheel
- HE ultimate pedals
- Quaif shifter
- Racing seat - OMP
- Gaming PC from main performance pc
- 27 inch triplets
- Oculus head set

t have gone through multiple upgrades over the years. It’s fun to keep adding stuff...just like a race car. Everything is modular especially when I put it together.

S
Old 01-13-2019, 03:38 AM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=MSR Racer;15560565]
I also think that an excellent non-motion rig is a DIY project. Get on Iracing forums for helps. There are plenty who will give good advice. Here is my list:

- Sim Lab P1 chassis
- DD Simucube wheel
- HE ultimate pedals
- Quaif shifter
- Racing seat - OMP
- Gaming PC from main performance pc
- 27 inch triplets
- Oculus head set

t have gone through multiple upgrades over the years. It’s fun to keep adding stuff...just like a race car. Everything is modular especially when I put it together.
[Quote]

Agree with this.. I have the 80/20 HE rig, HE ultimate pedals, Simucube DD wheel, though I built my PC.
one thing I would recommend for most people is to NOT get a racing seat. Looks the part but pretty uncomfortable and there are no actual g forces so it’s functionally useless in a static rig.

You can spend hours on the sim... I went with a seat from a WRX STI, but lots of great sporty options without the discomfort of racing bucket.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:20 AM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Mark, I think people can certainly assemble a sim from individual components, I just don't think that without a significant amount of experience and knowledge, that person can leverage close to what it's capable of. In the case of motion sickness, which is prevalent in about 30-35% of the people that use even static, multi-screen sims (far less in single screen, jury is out on VR but somewhere in between), proper calibration and setup can make the difference between triggering motion and not.

I think there are plenty of folks that can help, whether they will do that without a hardware purchase remains to be seen. Ricmotech, SimExperience and Sim Seats are all pretty common turn-key suppliers. I would speak to Mark Lutes in the Atlanta area, also. Not impressed with Main. Still think Sim Seats hits the sweet spot in terms of power and value, and they're in your budget. Crimson Simulation, recently relocated from CT to Mooresvillle NC. They make some nice stuff.
Peter -

Glad you brought up Nayden’s place. Naid and I go back a while, and he has a tremendous amount of experience and expertise in building sim’s. Yes, they aren’t cheap, BUT he has access to a lot of parts others don’t, and relationships with those manufacturers others don’t. He also provides full support with any sims he sells. If anyone is interested in a sim from him, let me know, and I can connect you with him.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:03 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Building a sim is fun, i started out with a latptop and g25 logitech, progressed to Obutto, updated steering wheel pedals, then 3 monitors, then VR, now i just built an 80/20 rig, simbay steering wheel, ecci pedals but wait to upgrade. I was using the VR and as much as i liked it i went back with triples and im am happy with them. May try VR again. I had the buttkickers installed but i got rid of them, i wasnt really into them and not sure they helped with anything.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Can’t wait for VR to be able to draw all the detail... another reason for projectors or 144 MHz screens.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:49 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Can’t wait for VR to be able to draw all the detail... another reason for projectors or 144 MHz screens.
Using the rift right now and its def better than triples but for now id rather be able to see everything in the distance until its upgraded. I know nothing about VR systems, are there others to look into besides the rift.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:30 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

The Odyssey+ is a very nice upgrade to the rift. I switched recently. Makes the distance viewing a lot nicer. It was on sale for $299 so quite a good deal. The setup is a lot more simple with native windows support. I don't even have a screen infront of the rig. VR or nothing for me.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:53 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RobertR1
The Odyssey+ is a very nice upgrade to the rift. I switched recently. Makes the distance viewing a lot nicer. It was on sale for $299 so quite a good deal. The setup is a lot more simple with native windows support. I don't even have a screen infront of the rig. VR or nothing for me.
thanks ill take a look.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SIM