Sponsored by:

What Should I Know Re: Tracking 09 Cayman PDK

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 12:16 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mlct
Thanks Matt. One question, how can one tell if a car has the "big" PDK and not the "small"? Perhaps by year?
As I alluded to above, I'm not really on top of how they have packaged these things in recent years. One needs to take the vin and give it to a dealer to see what options the car has. Part of why I'm unsure is it's not the same all year and they've varied it. I stopped paying attention about the time the 981 came out. The thing you are looking for is it the car has PTV. Whether it is PTV as a standalone option or as a part of something like Sport Chrono is what you want to figure out. The VAST majority of Porsches are sold without.

Originally Posted by okie981
Matt,
When these "small" PDK gearbox failures occur, is there a more common failure mode? IOW, does the differential self destruct or is it the gearbox gears that fail? Parts exploding or burning up, or?

Thanks
You lose reverse and the car throws a PDK code. I don't know of any catastrophic failures of a PDK ever. It's a pretty robust gearbox overall, but the electronic piece of it appears to be really finicky.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:55 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
You lose reverse and the car throws a PDK code. I don't know of any catastrophic failures of a PDK ever. It's a pretty robust gearbox overall, but the electronic piece of it appears to be really finicky.
Seems pretty ridiculous to have to give your whole transmission away as an exchange for $8k+ just because of a failed solenoid or control circuit. When oh when will Porsche support repairs by qualified shops....

Old 01-02-2019, 03:16 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

When oh when will Porsche support repairs by qualified shops....
As long has Porsche dealerships have service departments, the answer to that question is "Never".

Sales is only one of the dealership owners pocket. Service is the other.

Can't see them sewing that 2nd pocket shut anytime soon....
Old 01-02-2019, 04:14 PM
mwest
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone, thanks for all this help.
Quite a bit to absorb here.
I'll PM when I have more specific questions.
Thanks
Old 01-02-2019, 04:32 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Seems pretty ridiculous to have to give your whole transmission away as an exchange for $8k+ just because of a failed solenoid or control circuit. When oh when will Porsche support repairs by qualified shops....
Same for the 6-speed transmission BTW.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:24 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Same for the 6-speed transmission BTW.
the following shops will Service a 6spd:

Bill Rader Motorspoets
Cslifotnia Motorsports
Autometrics
BGB Motorsports
Body Motion
Deman
Hergesheimer

i am sure there are many more. They are Audi Parts. Porsche won’t sell them but they come from a FWD Euro market A6. Only thing you can’t get is a mainshaft or a ring and pinion. But rebuilding is no problem.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:51 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I drove mine several weekends with no reverse, just had good paddock buddies that needed a leg work out....and puuuuuush.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:43 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I was given a heads up about this thread and asked to comment by one of our dealers because it contains inaccurate information about what my company offers in the way of products. There are two PDK gearboxes, and as a result of that there are two different size LSDs available out there. When Porsche released the PDK, they didn't believe that they would ever need a mechanical LSD in the cars, and didn't make allowances for it. I will call this the "small" gearbox. Then a couple of years later, they changed their minds and created PTV, which includes a mechanical LSD as part of that package. I believe that is included on cars with Sport Chrono. It required Porsche/ZF make a new casting and a larger gearbox to fit the LSD in there. I will call that the "large" gearbox. This is the same gearbox that they use on the GT4 Clubsport racecars.
Some questions/comments about this as they relate to 987;

PTV did not exist prior to the 981.

Sport Chrono does not include Option 220 aka PTV (981) or LSD (987.2). This is the case on my MY 2010 987.2 CS PDK with Sport Chrono but no factory LSD. (I also have a MY 2015 981 GTS Manual (Sport Chrono included in GTS Package) but PTV was separate).

PDK was introduced in the 2009 model year (987.2). At the time of introduction, it was possible to order a pdk trans with an optional lsd in it. It was Option code 220. Does an early PDK WITH factory LSD constitute a "large" gearbox according to your nomenclature?

If so, what is the difference, other than the larger cavity to accommodate the lsd? What about the "large" gearbox makes it motorsports grade vs "small"?

Also, as you have said, the majority of the failures appear to be electronics related. Do the 2 gearboxes (again I am referring to 987.2) have differing electronic components?

Last edited by badabing; 01-03-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:58 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
Sport Chrono does not include PTV (981) or LSD (987.2). This is the case on my MY 2010 987.2 CS PDK with Sport Chrono but no factory LSD. (I also have a MY 2015 981 GTS Manual (Sport Chrono included in GTS Package) but PTV was separate).
Regarding PTV, you are correct on 981 cars, Sport Chrono option by itself does not also include PTV.
Having said that, any 981 GTS will have the PTV option included for "no charge" (part of the GTS package). You would have to do a "PTV delete" to not have it on a 981 GTS. Sort of like how some GTS cars have "Alcantara delete" when a buyer wanted to have the ventilated seat option to be added. Otherwise the 981 GTS will have Alcantara seat inserts and no ventilated seats.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:17 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Regarding PTV, you are correct on 981 cars, Sport Chrono option by itself does not also include PTV.
Having said that, any 981 GTS will have the PTV option included for "no charge" (part of the GTS package). You would have to do a "PTV delete" to not have it on a 981 GTS. Sort of like how some GTS cars have "Alcantara delete" when a buyer wanted to have the ventilated seat option to be added. Otherwise the 981 GTS will have Alcantara seat inserts and no ventilated seats.
I don't think that is accurate. The buildsheet / invoice for my 981 GTS lists PTV (option 220) as a $1,320 option. As a comparison, Sport Chrono is not even listed (obviously it is so equipped), and the GTS Alcantara interior package is listed at "0.00".

Also, when I was searching for this car (for a year), most GTS examples I came across did not have PTV. I don't think most people would choose to delete this if it was no charge.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:27 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

PTV was an option on my 2014 981S track car. I took it as it is a performance option/upgrade, as this car is only tracked. No street use.
Def an option on the 981S in 2014 at the very least.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:30 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Some questions/comments about this as they relate to 987;

PTV did not exist prior to the 981.

Sport Chrono does not include Option 220 aka PTV (981) or LSD (987.2). This is the case on my MY 2010 987.2 CS PDK with Sport Chrono but no factory LSD. (I also have a MY 2015 981 GTS Manual (Sport Chrono included in GTS Package) but PTV was separate).

PDK was introduced in the 2009 model year (987.2). At the time of introduction, it was possible to order a pdk trans with an optional lsd in it. It was Option code 220. Does an early PDK WITH factory LSD constitute a "large" gearbox according to your nomenclature?

If so, what is the difference, other than the larger cavity to accommodate the lsd? What about the "large" gearbox makes it motorsports grade vs "small"?

Also, as you have said, the majority of the failures appear to be electronics related. Do the 2 gearboxes (again I am referring to 987.2) have differing electronic components?
You've asked a list of questions I don't know the answer to. As I stated I haven't paid close attention to what's what and how it's packaged from year to year, model to model. I honestly don't pay any attention to it. I put the burden of figuring it out on the car owner and the installing dealer. Once they tell me which gearbox version they have, I supply the appropriate part. Sounds like you know more about it than I do. Any gearbox with an LSD in it is the big one, no matter what the options list calls the package.

To the gearboxes themselves, Porsche decided it was motorsports grade when they put it into the GT4 Clubsports. I also know very little about the electronics. Why one fails and the other doesn't is a bit of a mystery. It's part of why I made the decision I did about the baby diff. In the absence of any real hard data based explanation, I want nothing to do with it. It could have been $100k in annual sales and I likely would have made the same choice.

LSDs stress the system. On average they add 20 degrees F to the temps of the gearbox oil. Why can one handle that and the other one doesn't? No idea. And then you get outliers. BGB has one racecar with a baby PDK and it's been pretty damn reliable. Why just that one car and then we see street driven cars take a crap going to the grocery is beyond me.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:39 PM
Gear Rower
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

An alignment by a shop who knows these cars and how to dial out the sometimes wicked rear sway on threshold braking.
I've been tracking/racing my 987 SPC for the past 3 years and I am still fighting this phenomenon. I do the majority of wrenching and alignment on my car, and I'm struggling to understand why I'm getting the occasional "wicked rear sway" (nice way of describing it) on threshold braking. It's very unsettling car behaviour, especially under wheel-to-wheel racing conditions.
I've added a rear diff (Guards LSD) which seems to have tamed it a bit, and programmed the ABS to the CCB setting. But it's still intermittently happening. The only components I haven't swapped in yet are the monoball control arm links and the solid thrust arm bushing. Could these be the culprit(s)?
I'd rather understand the phenomena rather than just continue to throw component swaps/$$ at the problem.
TIA
Old 01-04-2019, 04:50 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Rower
I've been tracking/racing my 987 SPC for the past 3 years and I am still fighting this phenomenon. I do the majority of wrenching and alignment on my car, and I'm struggling to understand why I'm getting the occasional "wicked rear sway" (nice way of describing it) on threshold braking. It's very unsettling car behaviour, especially under wheel-to-wheel racing conditions.
I've added a rear diff (Guards LSD) which seems to have tamed it a bit, and programmed the ABS to the CCB setting. But it's still intermittently happening. The only components I haven't swapped in yet are the monoball control arm links and the solid thrust arm bushing. Could these be the culprit(s)?
I'd rather understand the phenomena rather than just continue to throw component swaps/$$ at the problem.
TIA
bizzare because alignment is very straightforward on these cars. I chbaged entire suspension (to SPC set up) and I do my own alignment with strings and gauge. I had crazy amount if rear movement under braking, which was completely solved with a proper LSD (gilken in my case but guards should do the job). I run 1mm toe-in in the rear per side and 1m of toe-out in front. Camber about 2.8 all around (need more in front). Not much else to adjut on SPC car. I know some shops recommend more caster. My biggest issue with cayman is understeer, which seems to be stemming from carrying too much braking into the turns...911 habit.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:56 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Op, Sadly, PDKs struggle with heat and 3rd radiator doesnt seem to help, that’s a pretty well documented issue if you google around. Good cooling is a must. There were 3 blown engines on 987.2 in club racing that I have heard of this year - all pdks. Maybe a coincidence, but those motors supposed to be good conpared to m97 junk. And of course pdks are impossible to repair and expensive to replace (new or used)...it was expensive 2 years ago, maybe more used units available today.

Quick Reply: What Should I Know Re: Tracking 09 Cayman PDK