Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track pads for $$$ or Stock pads for life?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 01:27 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

To the OP:
ignoring the rather judgemental replies, if you’re able to drive and consistently improve your skills while using stock parts, that’s fine. . At some point, brake zones will feel chaotic, or pads will wear quick or make rotor problems, and you’ll know its time for a different solution.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:46 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
To the OP:
ignoring the rather judgemental replies, if you’re able to drive and consistently improve your skills while using stock parts, that’s fine. . At some point, brake zones will feel chaotic, or pads will wear quick or make rotor problems, and you’ll know its time for a different solution.
^^This^^
Exactly my point. The OP will know when to make the change.
I think we all did at some point. You just know.
Clearly, the OP is not there yet, and that's fine. He will be soon, and he will know when that is. Until then, I see nothing wrong with "free" OEM pads.
Regardless, something tells me he'll be making the change this coming season. If he's on the verge of going from Blue to White now, only a matter of time before he notices the difference in the pads, so this all may be a moot point to begin with.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:01 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Well, I can't really say the difference wasn't noticeable. The Ferodos bite hard. The question is whether or not it's (gasp!) worth it. Both sets of pads are strong enough to get me into the ABS, so it's just a matter of pressing a little deeper to get to that threshold braking point with the stock pads than with the Ferodos. Aside from that it's about wear rate and fade. I don't find much fade with the stock pads (maybe that's my level talking), but I do find them to wear quickly.

I'll finish out this set of Ferodos in 2019 and see how many more days I get out of them.

Bruce - I'll come over and introduce myself to you at Lime Rock in April if you're there. You'll recognize me - we've talked before!
Old 12-22-2018, 02:05 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Well, I can't really say the difference wasn't noticeable. The Ferodos bite hard. The question is whether or not it's (gasp!) worth it. Both sets of pads are strong enough to get me into the ABS, so it's just a matter of pressing a little deeper to get to that threshold braking point with the stock pads than with the Ferodos. Aside from that it's about wear rate and fade. I don't find much fade with the stock pads (maybe that's my level talking), but I do find them to wear quickly.

I'll finish out this set of Ferodos in 2019 and see how many more days I get out of them.

Bruce - I'll come over and introduce myself to you at Lime Rock in April if you're there. You'll recognize me - we've talked before!
Looking forward to it.....
Old 12-27-2018, 11:13 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My humble opinion is that brake pads are not a place to compromise. When you factor in all of the costs of doing a track day they are not a huge expense (not insignificant though). If you are braking a the threshold on sticky tires those stock pads won't hold up and you will end up compromising your day/performance and possibly safety. As you already know track pads and street pads are designed for the opposite braking demands so it would be a significant compromise to go to a street brake pad setup. Not a chance that I would do it.

I am sure that FCP doesn't carry track pads because of the fact they would lose a ton honoring their warranty.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:22 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

FCP typically stocks only OEM parts - they don't supply "upgraded" or track parts. I shop with them a lot for my BMW.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:02 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
Driving the same car as you (except the PDK), similar run group I assume (PCA blue) I thought the OEM pads vs the Ferodo DS1.11s were very different, so I'm surprised to hear you thought braking power was similar. OEM pads are basically play-doh after they heat up (or that's been my experience during one weekend I used them) - Ferodos on the other hand have much more bite, consistent at track temps - Ferodo + the GiroDisc rotors + 991 already being the easiest car to drive on earth, car is braking as well as anything out there in mid level DE.

I somewhat disagree with the second half of the pad comment as well. I did think w Pagid RS29 yellows the second 50% was worse than the first 50%, Ferodos don't seem to have that problem. If you're monitoring your pads session to session and take a spare set with you to the event, you can likely use them down to a reasonable level, they seem to wear at a similar rate for me down to whatever thickness I'm comfortable with.

Lastly - I'm also using the Ferodos year round due to the same laziness. Because of the good initial bite they're actually passable in cold - and I wouldn't worry about the noise : #becauseracecar

Hopefully see you out there next season at some NJ events.
Thanks for the info in this post. I’m running oem GT3 pads up front and Carrera S pads rear. Switching to Ferodo as soon as mine wear out. I also noticed that break wear is far better with the traction control off. I started driving with the traction control off this year. Noticed it’s a lot easier to drive faster with less interference and it’s taught me to be smoother (which may be why I’m faster this year).
Old 12-27-2018, 10:24 PM
wwlee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing I would look into, if you haven't already done so (especially if you're using OEM pads which wear faster) are brake caliper bolts. There are other threads out there that talk about the potential of stripping the wheel carrier given Porsche's brake caliper design on these for the 991/981 generation. I switched to track pads a while ago, and get nervous having to change out brake pads (probably have it done 3 times a year), so I bought bolts for peace of mind - depending on how frequently you track your car, might need to do more frequent changes with OEM pads, potentially increasingly risk of stripping the aluminum threads on the wheel carrier.

I think most people use bolts by Tarrett. I have Girodiscs with larger rotor ring diameter - while Tarrett made Girodisc adaptable bolts (need to buy sleeves and longer, but not perfectly sized bolts), Girodisc recently made their own brake caliper bolts.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:51 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wwlee
One thing I would look into, if you haven't already done so (especially if you're using OEM pads which wear faster) are brake caliper bolts. There are other threads out there that talk about the potential of stripping the wheel carrier given Porsche's brake caliper design on these for the 991/981 generation. I switched to track pads a while ago, and get nervous having to change out brake pads (probably have it done 3 times a year), so I bought bolts for peace of mind - depending on how frequently you track your car, might need to do more frequent changes with OEM pads, potentially increasingly risk of stripping the aluminum threads on the wheel carrier.

I think most people use bolts by Tarrett. I have Girodiscs with larger rotor ring diameter - while Tarrett made Girodisc adaptable bolts (need to buy sleeves and longer, but not perfectly sized bolts), Girodisc recently made their own brake caliper bolts.
Had exactly that happen to me the night before a 3 day event at The Glen this past season,
John at Apex in Clifton saved my event by putting in a new bolt as the thread got stripped.
After that event, we switched out all the bolts on all 4 wheels with new ones. 35 more track days after that incident and haven't had an issue since.
Very good point wwlee. Cheap insurance for sure...
Old 12-27-2018, 10:54 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

I actually have already done so and will be getting the Tarret caliper studs installed in the Spring. I'm sticking with OEM rotors in back, for now, and will be replacing my cracking front rotors with Sebro slotted rotors. I don't mind spending some money, but I draw the line at $1200 Girodiscs. I'm hoping that these studs will allow me to more easily swap between the Ferodo's and OEM pads as needed between track visits.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:08 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Returning used up pads is kind of abusing the spirit of the warranty policy of FCP.
Yes, they say they will honor it as a PR stunt, but it's not really ethical to return used up pads.
Clearly, that is not the transaction's spirit.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:25 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
Returning used up pads is kind of abusing the spirit of the warranty policy of FCP.
Yes, they say they will honor it as a PR stunt, but it's not really ethical to return used up pads.
Clearly, that is not the transaction's spirit.

Perhaps you should read their website where they go into extensive detail about their return policy and make it clear it includes everything but aerosol products. I don't think their policy is a gimmick at all, the vast majority of the customers will never use the return policy because how often are you going to go through an alternator, clutch etc? Not very often they have clearly thought out their policy and everything is fair game pretty much. They feature photos of products returned and it is kinda surprising what folks return but power to FCP for a great marketing idea and one that does offer real value to customers. They brag about how inclusive it is so brake pads are clearly fair game. BTW they even say specifically on their website it doesn't matter to them if the part failed or was worn out on track.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:43 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

+1 . In fact on their warranty explanation page it clearly states (right at the top) "Use it, Abuse it, Wear it out," and then goes on to tell you to "Brag about the parts to your friends."
Old 12-29-2018, 07:27 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
I actually have already done so and will be getting the Tarret caliper studs installed in the Spring. I'm sticking with OEM rotors in back, for now, and will be replacing my cracking front rotors with Sebro slotted rotors. I don't mind spending some money, but I draw the line at $1200 Girodiscs. I'm hoping that these studs will allow me to more easily swap between the Ferodo's and OEM pads as needed between track visits.
dont disagree about the price of girodiscs, but if they last longer, they may be worth it. I think they are supposed to last 40-50 track days from what I read elsewhere.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:18 PM
wwlee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan

dont disagree about the price of girodiscs, but if they last longer, they may be worth it. I think they are supposed to last 40-50 track days from what I read elsewhere.
I have a set of girodiscs on my 981 (front only) because OEM rotors started cracking on second track day. Given you have to remove calipers for a 981 brake pad change, I think I would have been better off just using OEM rotors, as they would last as long as a set of track pads, and only takes a few more mins to swap out rotors - a big plus if using FCP and their return policy! Had I only known before buying the girodiscs

Quick Reply: Track pads for $$$ or Stock pads for life?