Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track pads for $$$ or Stock pads for life?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:11 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Thank you, Jeff! A very informative response.

I'll keep the DS2500 in mind as my current set wears down.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:33 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Pruetfann makes a key point in this thread regarding where to compromise. One of the biggest problems/risks with running OEM / street pads on the track is that they don't have as high of a maximum operating temperature as an actual racing pad like the Ferodo DS1.11. But what is even more concerning is how the pad behaves when it does reach its max operating temp. Many, if not most, street pads give up incredibly quickly when they get to their max temp. You feel that as pad fade. You stand on the brake pedal, it remains hard, but the car doesn't slow. If you've ever had that happen on track, it is a huge pucker factor. We've seen this on customer cars, our own cars, and on our brake dyno. The coefficient of friction (or mu) of the street pad changes constantly with temperature. When it reaches a certain temperature, the mu starts to decline. On a good metallic race pad, that fall-off is gradual over several hundred degrees. That means you have some warning as it occurs on track, and you know it's time to give your brakes a little breather to cool down. Street pads tend NOT to do that. Instead, their mu curve typically falls off a cliff. They don't let go and bow out gracefully and gradually. Instead, they just stop working almost immediately. Obviously that adds in an element of considerable risk.

To the OP...if you want to try a pad that has barely any squeal on the street, but still has a very high max operating temperature, and a gradual decline in mu at high temps, check out the Ferodo DS2500. We've had customers accidentally and intentionally run them on various racetracks. Many of our Essex/AP Racing brake kit customers use them in their cars, and many leave them in all the time. They won't give you the maximum wear rate of the DS1.11, but they do have better street manners and will be less risky than OEM. They have plenty of cold bite and are super easy on discs. The DS2500 is also less expensive than the DS1.11. A full set of front and rear DS2500 for your car is $672. Give them a shot. I think you'll be pleased, and my hunch is that they'll be the compromise you're seeking.

https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...ok/Iron%20disc
Very informative indeed.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:45 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
If you have to ask this question, you are in the wrong sport.
+1

I use FCP for rotors on a 997. I run cross-drilled ATE with PFC08. PFC's kill rotors but FCP takes them back and sends me new ones. The cost "savings" isn't that great becuase rotors are heavy and you have to pay the shipping back. For some reason they didn't carry the Sebro slotted when ordered but I think they have them now. I might switch to those.

Any non-race pad isn't going to be up to snuff what you start getting faster.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:15 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosm3os
If you have to ask this question, you are in the wrong sport.
Originally Posted by 3Series
+1
<rant>
I ignored the "If you have to ask..." comment the first time it came up, but now that someone has seconded it, I gotta reply: This is the snobbiest, most uninclusive thing you could possibly say - and it helps perpetuate the stereotype that Porsche owners are a**holes.

I don't care how much money someone might have to throw around, there's nothing wrong with finding places to save a few dollars, as long as it makes sense - and that's what I'm trying to figure out in this thread. My finances are ok, but I'm trying to actually budget for this season, as I'll be going to more and more events, not to mention working out the schedule with my wife (who thinks this sport is both expensive and dangerous - she's right) and two small kids. Reducing the money I spend on it helps one of those factors...as long as I'm staying safe. Finding where that balance lies is where this thread starts.
</rant>
Old 01-14-2019, 03:50 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgordon18
<rant>
I ignored the "If you have to ask..." comment the first time it came up, but now that someone has seconded it, I gotta reply: This is the snobbiest, most uninclusive thing you could possibly say - and it helps perpetuate the stereotype that Porsche owners are a**holes.
Different strokes for different folks. Don't take it to heart Mike. Most of this thread has given you some very constructive advice. Be the bigger man we all (most) know that you are.
The Porsche owners that I know are not A-holes, and that includes you. In my best Aaron Rodgers voice: "R-E-L-A-X". It's all good. Your question was a valid one. Don't take it to heart.
Reminds of a joke I once heard:
What's the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine?
Old 01-14-2019, 03:57 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
What's the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine?
I don't know. What is the difference between a Porsche and a porcupine?
Old 01-14-2019, 03:58 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Ahhhh. ****** on the OUTside!
Old 01-14-2019, 04:07 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Ahhhh. ****** on the OUTside!
Yup, that'd be it. Heard the same joke with Vette's, Ferrari's, Lambo's, and the like.
Just sounds nicer with "Porsche".
Take the crap here with a grain of salt.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:45 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

All of us here have ALREADY made the choice of paying extra money for increased performance and a more enjoyable experience... when we decided to buy a Porsche.

If you are okay with a mediocre experience at a lower price, sell the car and buy a BRZ/86.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:01 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zach L
All of us here have ALREADY made the choice of paying extra money for increased performance and a more enjoyable experience... when we decided to buy a Porsche.

If you are okay with a mediocre experience at a lower price, sell the car and buy a BRZ/86.
I don't know what this means. Does it mean we should buy the highest performing gear all the time? I assume you must have a GT2, if that's the case, or at least a GT3RS. Everyone draws their expense line somewhere, depending on return on investment. That's what this thread is about. I've gotten a lot of great advice so far - to the point where I'm convinced that the extra money for track pads is probably worth it, both in terms of performance and safety.

What track pads would you recommend for my new BRZ?
Old 01-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

I don't know what this means. Does it mean we should buy the highest performing gear all the time? I assume you must have a GT2, if that's the case, or at least a GT3RS. Everyone draws their expense line somewhere, depending on return on investment. That's what this thread is about. I've gotten a lot of great advice so far - to the point where I'm convinced that the extra money for track pads is probably worth it, both in terms of performance and safety.

What track pads would you recommend for my new BRZ?
Duralast, but not the Duralast Gold because we gotta draw the line somewhere haha
Old 01-18-2019, 07:36 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Be nice.....
Old 01-18-2019, 07:38 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Be nice.....
Peace and love. Peace and LOVE!
Old 02-04-2019, 02:34 PM
Janton9736
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

<rant>

I don't care how much money someone might have to throw around, there's nothing wrong with finding places to save a few dollars, as long as it makes sense - and that's what I'm trying to figure out in this thread. My finances are ok, but I'm trying to actually budget for this season, as I'll be going to more and more events, not to mention working out the schedule with my wife (who thinks this sport is both expensive and dangerous - she's right) and two small kids. Reducing the money I spend on it helps one of those factors...as long as I'm staying safe. Finding where that balance lies is where this thread starts.
</rant>
+1000

Amen to that. I am in the same boat.

jeff

Quick Reply: Track pads for $$$ or Stock pads for life?