Sponsored by:

Flagtronics, anyone familiar?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 10:23 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Flagtronics, anyone familiar?

Looks brilliant. Would love to have this in car and the CAN integration to dash is very cool as well. With all the flag incidents last year wonder if this is something we will see for 2020.

https://www.flagtronics.com/

And from FB:
"Our aim is to offer the base model at $99 per car installation and $499 per series for small tracks.

We plan features & options that we feel many racers & organizers will find compelling at higher cost points.

Our goal is to make the track safer for everyone, so we're working to accommodate a wide range of installations."
Old 12-17-2018, 10:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

From the way I read their post on FB, I don't think anyone besides some beta testers have used it, but I could be wrong.

I think these systems could be very good. I wonder how this compares to the one in IMSA?
Old 12-17-2018, 10:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Oops, made an error. The folks I was talking about unveiled their original idea under the name “Flagger” at PRI. While I think Flagtronic is a better name, these are different guys trying to do the same thing, and much closer to fruition and production that the Flagtronic guys.

Some well known people behind Flagger. Lots of experience. I have seen a demo and it works.

Only know a little about Flagtronic, but they’ve already changed their communications mode in a massive way after seeing how Flagger did it.

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-18-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:06 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Looks great but is it reliable? How many of you have had your cell phone melt down or any number of electrical glitches in your streetcar? Faceless flags is great if you can make them 100% reliable. Faceless flags also can't control a race course like live people can. For example I was having problem trying to just get through my race to the checker. I was moving slow but not dangerously slow. There is always a significant speed difference from leaders to backmarkers. The flagger at one of the critical turns got up high and showed me the blue flag because of that differential of closing speed. I did not need it because I was aware but it was still helpful because the flaggers, me and the overtaking driver were all on the same page. Those communications make sure we get to go home the way we arrived. I just don't think you can do that kind of thing with a faceless light. If you have flaggers and lights you got more stuff to demand your attention at 150mph. No thanks...I will stay with real people until proven otherwise.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:12 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Flagger doesn’t replace flagging personnel. As a matter of fact, it augments flag workers by allowing them to GET inside your car! It’s controlled locally by the people watching the area you’re coming into.

Let’s face it, the number one complaint/concern/violation on-track at HPDE and club race events, for sure, are flag violations.

It’s a source of frustration for organizers and participants alike. This is a working, redundant and elegant solution that is cost effective. It’s worth checking out.

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-18-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:19 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

looks awesome. can integration is awesome. hope PCA buys it and makes it perhaps available but not required
Old 12-18-2018, 09:44 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It’s doesn’t replace flagging personnel. As a matter of fact, it augments flag workers by allowing them to GET inside your car! It’s controlled locally by the people watching the area you’re coming into.

Let’s face it, the number one complaint/concern/violation on-track at HPDE and club race events, for sure, are flag violations.

It’s a source of frustration for organizers and participants alike. This is a working, redundant and elegant solution that is cost effective. It’s worth checking out.
Agreed in every respect. Their price points seem more than fair. $99 is not a big outlay for additional safety considering what most of us shell out for tires in a weekend...

I would love to see this implemented. Glad to hear Peter knows the people behind it, that's instills a great deal of confidence.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:57 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Paul, I made a mistake. I’m talking about a concept shared with me at at PRI before the introduction of Flagtronic’s site, so I am talking about “Flagger,” not Flagtronic. Both have the same goal.

I met the four principals for Flagger at a meeting about a month ago, not knowing what was in the works or anything about it. Turns out three are current racers in different series, two have substantial experience in inexpensive, well functioning racing electronics and two are very successfully business developers.

They were good because they didn’t tell me anything and asked me to figure it out. It didn’t take long. And for every question I had, as a event chair, a race steward, an official and as a racer, they had an answer. A good one. Pretty psyched about it because it fits a need that’s apparent and that has appeared on the pages of RL MANY times, already.

The price point of Flagtronic is little less than what Flagger guys spoke about in our meeting, but they’re both in the ballpark.

There is expandable functionality, which insures that its not a one trick pony and will remain useful for a long time.

The EMS response features and incident coordination for the organizers and operators of the event are what sold me. Fantastic use of the technology.

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-18-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:20 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 491 Posts

This could be a great resource but I see limited application in Club Racing due to cost which is not limited to just the in car installation. Hey, we can’t even get people to monitor Ch 15 in PCA Club Racing and other than programming the channel on your radio, it’s free!
Old 12-18-2018, 11:29 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

If I read correctly it's $99 for the racer. The track will pay $499. if those numbers are correct, sign me up.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:38 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 993944S2
If I read correctly it's $99 for the racer. The track will pay $499. if those numbers are correct, sign me up.
+1
Old 12-18-2018, 12:00 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993944S2
+1 and $499 for the track is not an exorbitant amount imho... Heck at most places that's like 3 bags of kitty litter and a bottled water lol
Old 12-18-2018, 04:56 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Dudeman who can't look out the window and see a flagger in an elevated box probably ain't going to look at dash and see a little lamp.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:41 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
Dudeman who can't look out the window and see a flagger in an elevated box probably ain't going to look at dash and see a little lamp.
By the time you get to club racing you would think people would have a better understanding of the importance of flags, but sadly, some don't.

If someone every tries to penalize me for ignoring a flag I'll tell them that I don't want to assume the flags color. Maybe the yellow flag identifies as a green flag?
Old 12-18-2018, 06:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
By the time you get to club racing you would think people would have a better understanding of the importance of flags, but sadly, most don't.
FIFY
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Flagtronics, anyone familiar?