Sponsored by:

Porsche and iRacing unveil $100K World eChampionship

Old 12-18-2018, 12:06 AM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmith
Me too! What a fantastic car to drive.
Yep - for example, the RSR on the Ring is a hoot in iRacing. The 991 Cup is a bit of a handful to drive near the limit in iRacing. I have high end pedals and a high end wheel with triples.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:53 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I’ve tried some of other people’s setups in the past that helped a lot. Also, the latest update (12/3?) has helped. The tire model gets better all the time.

Of course, I’ve spent >$1200 on my brake pedal, because that’s the most important component on the rig for me...

Just ran it last night at Sebring and then overlaid my data over Pumpelly’s and Faulkner’s real information.

I have a ways to go...
Peter, which brake pedal are you using? I have the fanatec inverted V3 and I'm struggling to get it to "feel" like my car. I know they just released the brake performance kit for the V3 pedals but struggling to get the same PSI I exert in the real car into my brake pedal in iRacing but I find myself doing the opposite of the real car in the sim! Real car=hard initial spike then trail off, sim = soft initial then gradually harder to prevent lockup... I need that initial brake application to be more realistic on my setup...
Old 12-18-2018, 10:08 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Paul, I have three sets, right now. The Perfect Pedal from Gary Gibson’s company (cheap, good), a tunable hydraulic load cell setup that was state of the art several years ago by the fellow out in Oklahoma that went down in flames, recommended to me by two top flight NASCAR drivers, a factory Aston Martin GT/LM Pro driver and an Indy Car driver who is no longer with us when iRacing was still in beta, and a set of https://heusinkveld.com/ Ultimates (it appears the site is down now).

There are others that have cycled in and out but the key is to make sure the load cell is between 60-90 kg at full deflection. This requires a frame that firmly attaches the pedal base to the seat in such a way that there is no bending or movement. Makes all the difference to my experience, more than a DD wheel...

Might have to try Mark Lutes’ pedals made up with racing car components and actual hydraulic masters with a balance bar! https://fasttracksims.com/products/t...unt-sim-pedals
Old 12-18-2018, 10:28 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Paul, I have three sets, right now. The Perfect Pedal from Gary Gibson’s company (cheap, good), a tunable hydraulic load cell setup that was state of the art several years ago by the fellow out in Oklahoma that went down in flames, recommended to me by two top flight NASCAR drivers, a factory Aston Martin GT/LM Pro driver and an Indy Car driver who is no longer with us when iRacing was still in beta, and a set of https://heusinkveld.com/ Ultimates (it appears the site is down now).

There are others that have cycled in and out but the key is to make sure the load cell is between 60-90 kg at full deflection. This requires a frame that firmly attaches the pedal base to the seat in such a way that there is no bending or movement. Makes all the difference to my experience, more than a DD wheel...

Might have to try Mark Lutes’ pedals made up with racing car components and actual hydraulic masters with a balance bar! https://fasttracksims.com/products/t...unt-sim-pedals
Thank you as always sir! Heard very good things about the heuskinveld. Their Ultimate may be ideal for me if I can find a set with it's higher maximum brake force. This way I can stand on it as I do in the real car without locking up every corner.... I know you said 60-90 but I am actually ~99 in the Boxster right before ABS pulse. That's what I aim for in initial application. Unfortunately, putting that into the Fanatec produces lockup no matter what I do. Thank you as always for the feedback!!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:49 AM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche has really committed to eSports - we just had a live event at the Leipzig Factory where they gave away 30,000 Euro's - and announced this new World Championship series. Very cool stuff from our favorite car manufacturer.

Porsche factory driver Nick Tandy was a competitor in Leipzig and finished third!

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/moto...cup-16618.html
Old 12-18-2018, 12:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
I know you said 60-90 but I am actually ~99 in the Boxster right before ABS pulse. That's what I aim for in initial application.
I've used a setup requiring as much as 155kg (flexed the frame!) but that makes it hard to modulate!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-18-2018, 06:25 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

I have the Ultimates - Great Pedals for sure.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:20 AM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

For those who haven’t tried... the Ruf track car (based on the 997 GT3) is great fun and to me pretty realistic.

An aggressive initial brake pedal to help the front end bite, rotate the car and then use throttle to control the slip.. incredibly satisfying drive but does take some time to master.

Highly recommend it (and the new F3 car)
Old 12-19-2018, 08:28 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by matt33
Highly recommend it (and the new F3 car)
Just got the F3 car. Cool!
Old 12-19-2018, 12:33 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Just got the F3 car. Cool!
Great car! Lots of fun. I am new to open wheel - I am off the pace. A lot to learn
Old 12-22-2018, 05:54 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

As great as pedals are, I have the HE ultimates, I’d say the OSW direct drive wheel is more important for me. Since I can’t get the feedback from my body/butt, I need the wheel to do the talking. The feedback in the OSW is miles ahead of other wheels and the software maturity makes it plug n play now. Even iracing just overhauled their UI for forcefeedback to accommodate direct drive wheels.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:05 AM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RobertR1
As great as pedals are, I have the HE ultimates, I’d say the OSW direct drive wheel is more important for me. Since I can’t get the feedback from my body/butt, I need the wheel to do the talking. The feedback in the OSW is miles ahead of other wheels and the software maturity makes it plug n play now. Even iracing just overhauled their UI for forcefeedback to accommodate direct drive wheels.
I have same pedals and finally got a DD Wheel - Accuforce. What a difference it makes. A friend is about to buy and install the Next Level 3 Motion Rig (prices coming down on motion rigs). This may be the next upgrade for me -
. Curious to try it out as it does give you wheel hop feedback, etc.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:42 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 198 Posts

I am in desperate need of practice in my new to me GT4 Clubsport with the non-boosted dual master brakes. Mostly the braking, but overall feel as well. Is there a particular car in iRacing that would give me the best approximation of my car?
Old 12-22-2018, 12:12 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Originally Posted by tlisotta
I have same pedals and finally got a DD Wheel - Accuforce. What a difference it makes. A friend is about to buy and install the Next Level 3 Motion Rig (prices coming down on motion rigs). This may be the next upgrade for me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL7r-MeWpFI. Curious to try it out as it does give you wheel hop feedback, etc.
I have that motion seat on my rig. It’s quite good but know it’s more of a nice add on than an essential component. I enjoy it but if it’s off, my times and consistency are not impacted. An hour long session with motion and VR on Nords with a Zonda R is exhausting and stressful!

The adjustability of motion platforms is a double edged sword. In theory, all the motion should come from the game engine meaning the level of movement per car and track should be just handed to the platform which maps it on a 1:1 basis and clips any info it can’t execute. However the motion platforms instead try to approximate so in an extreme example, you can have a GT3 car dive and squat like a MX5! Clearly this creates some concerns how about the queues you are feeling and responding might be inaccurate and thus giving you false muscle memory.

For a core setup, an aluminum 8020 rig with a direct drive wheel and high end pedals is where the budget should be focused first.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:15 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Originally Posted by jakermc
I am in desperate need of practice in my new to me GT4 Clubsport with the non-boosted dual master brakes. Mostly the braking, but overall feel as well. Is there a particular car in iRacing that would give me the best approximation of my car?
Try Assetto Corsa. I believe that car is in there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche and iRacing unveil $100K World eChampionship