Old 12-16-2018, 02:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts
Default Porsche and iRacing unveil $100K World eChampionship

https://www.virtualr.net/porsche-unv...ionship-series
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-16-2018, 02:16 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Virtual world taking over real life! E sports is growing and real sports dying. Sad.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:11 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,715 Likes on 910 Posts

Makes total sense; way less costly in time and money, not to mention safer, and sim experience keeps getting better and better. Great to see Porsche jumping in with the Cup.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:38 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Hopefully the beginning of a step to get some folks to test with Porsche for a season scholarship
Old 12-16-2018, 06:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 744 Posts

Great idea and good for them !
Old 12-16-2018, 06:48 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Makes total sense; way less costly in time and money, not to mention safer,
Takes no ***** for that or virtual girlfriends. Racing was always a man's game.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:41 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome new! Sim racing is getting serious. Great way to cultivate new talent! Some of these sim racers are seriously quick.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:55 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Now the real problem is how totally crappy the car drives - it understeers like crazy and the brakes are more sensitize than a go kart
Old 12-17-2018, 11:22 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

I’ve tried some of other people’s setups in the past that helped a lot. Also, the latest update (12/3?) has helped. The tire model gets better all the time.

Of course, I’ve spent >$1200 on my brake pedal, because that’s the most important component on the rig for me...

Just ran it last night at Sebring and then overlaid my data over Pumpelly’s and Faulkner’s real information.

I have a ways to go...
Old 12-17-2018, 11:40 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I’ve tried some of other people’s setups in the past that helped a lot. Also, the latest update (12/3?) has helped. The tire model gets better all the time.

Of course, I’ve spent >$1200 on my brake pedal, because that’s the most important component on the rig for me...

Just ran it last night at Sebring and then overlaid my data over Pumpelly’s and Faulkner’s real information.

I have a ways to go...
Thats an expensive pedal, mine isnt cheap either - and work perfectly for just about every other car. Admittedly I have never driven a 991 Cup so maybe they suck in real life too, but its a totally numb and pushes at turn in versus skip barber, or miata, or an indy car, or even the global rally cross cars etc.

Tried Spa last night and basically snow plowed around for an hour despite trying all sorts of crazy stuff (1 bar in front and 5 in rear for example). Whereas I am usually a few tenths to a second off the aliens I was like 5 seconds off / watching those guys they are somehow getting their braking done in like half the distance and its hooking up at turn in. Guess its time to invest in VRS and do some overlays. Frustrating experience to say the least though!
Old 12-17-2018, 12:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 744 Posts

A well set up 991 Cup is a delight to drive
Old 12-17-2018, 12:47 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Thats an expensive pedal, mine isnt cheap either - and work perfectly for just about every other car. Admittedly I have never driven a 991 Cup so maybe they suck in real life too, but its a totally numb and pushes at turn in versus skip barber, or miata, or an indy car, or even the global rally cross cars etc.

Tried Spa last night and basically snow plowed around for an hour despite trying all sorts of crazy stuff (1 bar in front and 5 in rear for example). Whereas I am usually a few tenths to a second off the aliens I was like 5 seconds off / watching those guys they are somehow getting their braking done in like half the distance and its hooking up at turn in. Guess its time to invest in VRS and do some overlays. Frustrating experience to say the least though!
I wish they used the new RSR model for the competition instead... mmmmmm
Old 12-17-2018, 05:53 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
I wish they used the new RSR model for the competition instead... mmmmmm
Me too! What a fantastic car to drive.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:05 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just set up a ghetto rig (944 forum would be proud) with G29 3-piece controls, decent PC and HDTV.
Just trying to keep cars on the course with the lower coefficient of friction in Project Cars or Assetto Corsa. Feels like I went to ice driving school in an overboosted 930. :-/
Old 12-17-2018, 06:18 PM
JarheadGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ProCoach

I have a ways to go...
That's because it IS the most important component on the rig! Followed by maybe screen resolution & frame rate...and wheel (I actually have a 991 Cup wheel on mine!). I love the ability to take my sim data and overlay against my Motec data (or Spencer's for that matter). The Cup is no Skippy car, or Indycar, RSR, etc., and nor should it be. With the proper attention paid to setup, tire pressures, and sim equipment, it is absolutely as relevant and accurate as the real car.

Peter I'm at 2:04.5 at Sebring on a breakout lap...2:05 flat pace with current off-the-shelf Fanatec gear using IMSA legal setup

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche and iRacing unveil $100K World eChampionship