Sponsored by:

Porsche Air-Cooled Cup USA Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 11:23 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
I'm going to start my own race shop and track support company called Clarke's Kinda Cheap Racing and then get PCA to make my own class for only my customers just like Jerry Woods and Accumoto.

The cars will be just like 911 E cars except different. Because I don't want to be like everyone else. And the spec tire will be Pirelli slicks. The cars will not be allowed to be too shiny. No fancy interiors. Brakes are unlimited except no antilock. I'll get a few customers, we will come to a few races and we will have our own poverty campground in a far away corner of the paddock. I will have one mechanic that actually knows wtf he is doing and one helper guy. Bring your own car, camper, car trailer, tent and beer.

Look for my big grand opening announcement soon!
Sounds like what you did at rennsport

Pirelli slicks sounds like the west coast series and you have to run 16 inch wheels.

Mark finished 3rd in points overall in stock E on the TD tire, that should count for something shouldn't it?

We comply with all engine inspections and transmission gear checks over the years instead of locking our cars in a trailer, saying they are blown up, withdrawing from an event and going home, or saying I dont have the tools to take my engine apart to comply.

No weight gets added to our cars at the end of an enduro by grabbing a tool bag from the garage at the last minute to meet a minimum weight

Overall the goal here is to just try to preserve the cars that are getting harder to find and acquire and more expensive to buy and fix.

Lets remove the claim that the TD benefit's the shop supporting the cars. The TD reduces wear and tear on the cars, brakes and calipers last longer as less heat is generated, and no cracks in the chassis were generated this year vs with the R7. Which means less work on the cars and less money for the shop supporting the car.

Lets face it, racing these cars is not cheap, and this class is supposed to be a more economical way to race a porsche.

By removing the weight the times between TD (no weight) and R7 (with weight) will be close. Sebring will be a good proven grounds and an opportunity to tweak things.

People need to bring real data and information on their cars so the folks that run PCA can make good, informed decisions on how to better improve the class and the racing.

Last edited by stujelly; 01-21-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:29 AM
The boy
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Making the TD the spec tire effectively kills the idea of adding the f,g,h 964 or Carreras because Hoosier only offers the TD in 15s and 16s. Most f,g,h that I'm aware of all use 17s and 18s and while some might be interested from a gearing perspective to go to 15s I believe very few will want to buy wheels to do that.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:31 AM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 305 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by The boy
Making the TD the spec tire effectively kills the idea of adding the f,g,h 964 or Carreras because Hoosier only offers the TD in 15s and 16s.
Exactly.

And what I think we're simply not giving enough weight to is that driving a bias-ply tire changes the whole feeling of the car. I don't want to race vintage. While these cars are old, they are certainly not "vintage." I don't want to race on a bias-ply tire. If I did, there are plenty of places I could have been doing that already!
Old 01-22-2019, 08:10 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

I was looking for an relative easy way to move from F (prepared) into a class with more 911's and frankly more cars. Sebring has 1 single car registered in F. It is not easy to make my car eligible for E. Brakes, R&P, wheel size etc These all add up to big $$. I was hoping for a relatively simple change in ballast. I'll have to wait until next year. Hopefully something can be worked out.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:45 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

lol - E has basically become a GT class
Old 01-22-2019, 08:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
lol - E has basically become a GT class
Old 01-22-2019, 09:13 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Something to think about in all this as far as run groups, putting E cars on slower tires is going to back them up into the next slower class. That will be very frustrating for both considering the driving dynamics.

So here's where I beg the run grouping gods to please please please please, one more time, please always put SPB with SP1-3.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:20 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 993944S2
I was looking for an relative easy way to move from F (prepared) into a class with more 911's and frankly more cars. Sebring has 1 single car registered in F. It is not easy to make my car eligible for E. Brakes, R&P, wheel size etc These all add up to big $$. I was hoping for a relatively simple change in ballast. I'll have to wait until next year. Hopefully something can be worked out.
Sorry if I added some confusion. The changes mentioned above would have to be done to my car to make it legal in E. My car currently has 930 brakes, 17" wheels etc. I would need to move back to stock brakes, and source a few sets of 15" wheels.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:35 AM
GearTie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

STUJELLY.....With all due respect, I think you are missing the point. A lot of effort went into creating a 911 Cup series last year that was as inclusive as possible. Participants were given a tire choice. The result?....something like 41 out of 44 drivers chose the R7 by the end of the season. So, why does it make sense to spec a tire for the series that only a minority want to race on...as actually proven last year? We also put out surveys on Facebook and via email to make sure that the venues picked for the races would attract the largest car counts. The goal should be to have races with 20+ cars instead of 9.

So, lets compare to where we are now. We've created a series with a spec tire for 3 participants that will attend 3 races. And, we've chosen suspect race venues for car counts.

My opinion? Make the series as inclusive as possible. Either have two classes again OR create parity through BOP adjustment with weight and RPM.

What I hate about emails/forums is that they sound so nasty. I'm actually not pissed off at anyone about this. I just don't understand the logic. I'm super excited about racing in E this year with the usual suspects. So, hopefully this will get worked out during Sebring.

PS...I am one of those drivers that tried a full race weekend on the Street TDs. They are actually a lot of fun...for a track day or DE event. I did not like the tire for racing. It was like driving a Mustang again. I felt like I had to constantly back the car into a corner with deliberate rotation to get back to throttle...which was a lot of constant work. There just isn't a lot of front end grip. Yeah...its fun to hang the rear out with tons of slip angle and stomp back to throttle with layers of rubber tracking behind you. But, I found myself focussing more on what the tire was doing rather than the actual racing. However, that's just me. Who am I to tell you what tire you should drive.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:48 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

while we're at it let's go to sealed engines with tear down protests
Old 01-22-2019, 09:59 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak

So here's where I beg the run grouping gods to please please please please, one more time, please always put SPB with SP1-3.
+944!
Old 01-22-2019, 10:35 AM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Dan/GearTie: great input/comments.
Also, thanks for explaining in some detail what you liked and did not like about the TD tires.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:57 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I ran the TD's for a few events last year. They were "ok". I could live with them if everyone was running the TD's. Wasn't much fun though being one of a handful of guys in a large group running a slower tire. I eventually switched back to R7's for Road America.

I thought for sure that 2019 was the year we consolidated and the group got on the same page for tires and weight. Now we're back to two tire choices again, different groups for the same car, and I still have a giant chunk of what I consider dangerous lead ballast on my passenger floorboard.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:33 PM
Niels e46 m3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody running R7's at Sebring during DMTD - take 150 LB out of the car, and lets see what the G-force plots look like during corner loading. We can then compare to a "current weight" E car on R7, and also compare to a Hoosier TD E-car.

This way we can compare how much less stress is being put on the cars by moving to TD's vs dropping weight, etc. I am not stuck on an R7 or a TD, but I am for improving the longevity of the cars while maintain a good competitive racing class. After all, that is why we all joined E. I have had my fair share of chassis cracks, broken mounts, and sheared spindles to agree we are overdoing what the cars were designed to do. This was not a big deal when a SC/Carrera donor car could be had for <$15k, but now that parts are becoming more scarce and $$, its becoming a hindrance to good racing with a big class.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:48 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Niels e46 m3
Somebody running R7's at Sebring during DMTD - take 150 LB out of the car, and lets see what the G-force plots look like during corner loading. We can then compare to a "current weight" E car on R7, and also compare to a Hoosier TD E-car.

This way we can compare how much less stress is being put on the cars by moving to TD's vs dropping weight, etc. I am not stuck on an R7 or a TD, but I am for improving the longevity of the cars while maintain a good competitive racing class. After all, that is why we all joined E. I have had my fair share of chassis cracks, broken mounts, and sheared spindles to agree we are overdoing what the cars were designed to do. This was not a big deal when a SC/Carrera donor car could be had for <$15k, but now that parts are becoming more scarce and $$, its becoming a hindrance to good racing with a big class.
That's a really good idea. I'd volunteer, but I'm not fast enough to be a benchmark and I'm not running the DM days.

Like I said in my previous post, I could live with TD's if we were all on them. At this point, I'm just going to run whatever the majority of the group consensus is. Not looking to be a pioneer

Quick Reply: Porsche Air-Cooled Cup USA Series