Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Air-Cooled Cup USA Series

Old 12-21-2018, 09:59 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
If this is a go maybe we should run on Hoosier bias ply tire, cheaper and less stress on the chassis. Mark White ran them this year and said they were a hoot, about 2 seconds slower a t Road America.
Mark also finished 3rd in the national points against R7s so the bias ply cant be that bad.

Get on board clarke, you will enjoy them
Old 12-21-2018, 10:15 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 299 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
Mark also finished 3rd in the national points against R7s so the bias ply cant be that bad.

But the flip side is this makes swapping back to a Stock setup for races outside the 911 Cup (like LRP or NJMP) more complicated. I don't want to have to deal with different setups. Bolting/unbolting ballast is easy.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:38 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

There is no flopping back and forth.
911CUP is a national championship class - it runs at every pca race weekend all year long, same as all the other classes.

911CUP uses same rules as letter class cars except weight. So run whatever tire you want. You want to be 2 seconds slower, go ahead run the TD.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:49 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Mark is an ex pro driver. How did the others on the TD do?

Niels only did 4 race weekends so he was down in points. But his weekend average was higher than Mark...

I'll not get on board. I've run these tires at svra events. I have no interest whatsoever in running a TD. Dan raced them last year at Brainerd and hated them. Evan and Niels have no interest either. Burke raced them then switched back to R7. Porro says no as well. No one I've talked to wants to run the TD except a few Accumoto guys.

Frankly I'm getting a little tired of the TD sales pitch. I've written many snarky responses to all the Accumoto guys pushing these tires in this thread and deleted the responses instead of posting them. I've tried not to be a d*ck about it. I feel like I'm failing now.

Just run the TD if you want to but please stop pushing it on the rest of us that have said no.

Last edited by GT3DE; 12-21-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:05 AM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 299 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
911CUP is a national championship class - it runs at every pca race weekend all year long, same as all the other classes.
I didn't realize this - thought it was just five races again. That's a positive change. Negates my objection to the setup issue, but doesn't change my pref to run the R7 (or whatever legal tire you want).
Old 12-23-2018, 05:54 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Mark is an ex pro driver. How did the others on the TD do?

Niels only did 4 race weekends so he was down in points. But his weekend average was higher than Mark...

I'll not get on board. I've run these tires at svra events. I have no interest whatsoever in running a TD. Dan raced them last year at Brainerd and hated them. Evan and Niels have no interest either. Burke raced them then switched back to R7. Porro says no as well. No one I've talked to wants to run the TD except a few Accumoto guys.

Frankly I'm getting a little tired of the TD sales pitch. I've written many snarky responses to all the Accumoto guys pushing these tires in this thread and deleted the responses instead of posting them. I've tried not to be a d*ck about it. I feel like I'm failing now.

Just run the TD if you want to but please stop pushing it on the rest of us that have said no.
Dude relax. I just assumed you liked the way those cars drove on those tires but was worried about giving up the speed or lap times.

I dont think anyone on TD's but mark ran more than a few events. Obviously you have to run and finish the big 5 events to get the points. But the point is Mark did all of that with the same car, motor, trans, suspension, etc. Just changed brake pads, tires, and added fuel.

What we support is reducing run costs and wear and tear on our cars by removing the weight, having one spec tire and other spec. parts thats all.

The second thing we support is an even, well scrutinized class to all cars and drivers in that class and have the same rules applied to all and properly enforced.

There is no question that you, neils, mark and dan can wheel those cars. I get it and if you 3 or 4 people want to stay in stock e and run whatever tire you want with all that weight go for it.

For all of us working class people that want to save some money (oxy moran in racing I know) save our cars and maybe get to run more races and oh ya have fun doing it.

I look forward to the new 911-cup class in PCA
Old 12-23-2018, 06:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Dude relax. I just assumed you liked the way those cars drove on those tires but was worried about giving up the speed or lap times.

I dont think anyone on TD's but mark ran more than a few events. Obviously you have to run and finish the big 5 events to get the points. But the point is Mark did all of that with the same car, motor, trans, suspension, etc. Just changed brake pads, tires, and added fuel.

What we support is reducing run costs and wear and tear on our cars by removing the weight, having one spec tire and other spec. parts thats all.

The second thing we support is an even, well scrutinized class to all cars and drivers in that class and have the same rules applied to all and properly enforced.

There is no question that you, neils, mark and dan can wheel those cars. I get it and if you 3 or 4 people want to stay in stock e and run whatever tire you want with all that weight go for it.

For all of us working class people that want to save some money (oxy moran in racing I know) save our cars and maybe get to run more races and oh ya have fun doing it.

I look forward to the new 911-cup class in PCA
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-29-2018, 02:01 PM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Quick update: Nothing is finalized on 911 Cup for '19 yet, but it is coming together. Expect an official announcement once everyone is back from holidays.

West
Old 12-29-2018, 06:35 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston Dillard
Quick update: Nothing is finalized on 911 Cup for '19 yet, but it is coming together. Expect an official announcement once everyone is back from holidays.

West
West - thanks for letting us know the wheels are turning. What’s your process for seeking and factoring in broad input / perspective from those currently running in D thru G (H?)? I believe there is potential for both up but also down side impact to club racing overall? And given the potential impact, it would be good to share how you see it fitting in with PCA club racing’s vision (where do you see us in 3-5+ years).
Old 12-30-2018, 10:04 PM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by M_Weining

West - thanks for letting us know the wheels are turning. What’s your process for seeking and factoring in broad input / perspective from those currently running in D thru G (H?)? I believe there is potential for both up but also down side impact to club racing overall? And given the potential impact, it would be good to share how you see it fitting in with PCA club racing’s vision (where do you see us in 3-5+ years).
To a great extent, we are trying to "give the people what they want", while considering our past experience. Remember when there were lots of B Stock 944s? Then we included the 944 Spec series, and for a while there were B Stock and Spec 944s. Now, I can't remember the last time I saw a B Stock 944. Early Boxsters are D Stock cars, but I'm not sure I have ever seen one in D Stock trim because they all run SPB. What I get from this is that folks want to run with large fields, at lower weights, and a spec tire.

The newest car eligible for E is 15 years old. The newest car eligible for D is 20 years old. So in 3-5 years, those will pretty much all be vintage cars, just as A, B, and C are now. PCA has a great new vintage series, but there are so many D,E, and F stock 911s, and such close racing, that it seems to warrant a dedicated class. IMO, while there are air cooled 911s in F, G and H, there are also a lot of newer cars coming in that will keep those Stock classes viable for a few more years. Therefore, we're less concerned, at this moment, about including the higher classes.

West
Old 12-31-2018, 12:30 AM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

I like the idea the idea of a larger field in the new 911 CUP and not have to deal with multiple letter classes all running very similar air cooled 911s. When do we find out if this is a go or not for 2019?
Old 01-04-2019, 04:15 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

Any updates on this?
Old 01-04-2019, 05:40 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston Dillard
IMO, while there are air cooled 911s in F, G and H, there are also a lot of newer cars coming in that will keep those Stock classes viable for a few more years. Therefore, we're less concerned, at this moment, about including the higher classes.
Based on the data I can see, G and H are not very healthy classes at all. Looking at Rennpoints, here's the total number of unique competitors from 2018:

D: 15
E: 66
F: 39
G: 12
H: 17
GTC1: 3
GTC2: 0

If the goal is to cut down on the number of classes and have larger fields, I'd suggest starting with the smaller classes first. Taking a bunch of competitors out of E, which is the largest stock class by far, doesn't seem to help the goal of having more competitors in a larger class.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:56 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

If I were to go to Sebring for the CR, I would podium by default as the field is as follows: (I'm in F-class)
D: 3
E: 16
F: 1
G: 1
H: 2

Normally there are more Boxsters in F. Zero fun racing in a class with 1-2 cars. I don't know if Sebring is a good example.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:53 PM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

updated your list a bit...all letter classes on life-support. 911Cup sounds like a ton of fun to watch.

had fun racing in I for two years learned a ton, but now really excited to race with a big class in B1 this year.

Originally Posted by 993944S2
If I were to go to Sebring for the CR, I would podium by default as the field is as follows: (I'm in F-class)
D: 3
E: 16
F: 1
G: 1
H: 2
I: 2
K: 1
J: 1

Normally there are more Boxsters in F. Zero fun racing in a class with 1-2 cars. I don't know if Sebring is a good example.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Air-Cooled Cup USA Series