Sponsored by:

NEW PCA Best Practices for DE (Rant!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 10:05 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
PS - I bought my HANS device when all I drove was a 944 that I paid $6k to buy.
PS: I'll give bad odds (for you that is ) you spent a bit more on the car before you put it on the track? I say this only because I bought my S2 donor in very good to excellent condition for $7500, but then had to ship it across the country to my shop. Since then I've put about $10,000 into the drive train and suspension. Safety systems will likely be another $10K and I won't even start on the motor for another season or two.

Folks who think an SP3 Stock class 944 is a cheap build are in for a surprise...

Regards,
Old 12-09-2018, 10:14 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by JarheadGT3
"FREEEEEDOOOOM!!!"

*yawn*

Rennlist, you've been trolled. If someone doesn't like PCA's HANS rule, they have the constitutionally-provided "freedom" to chose a different DE organization. Just like PCA has the constitutionally-provided "freedom" to levy whatever rule they deem necessary for their organized DE events. Pretty basic stuff.

P.S. I like my head, and my neck. I **really** like when my head and neck are attached. I use a HANS.
+1,000 i used to track a TTS (160mph+ on some straights) w/ 3 pts seatbelts only. Found religion in the GT3, installed half cage, harnesses, race seats and HANS. Won’t get on track without the HANS again...I took like my head attached to my neck!
Old 12-09-2018, 10:15 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JarheadGT3
Otto...not trying to insult your intelligence here, but you do know how the HANS works right? There is no "unhook my head" before exiting the car, unless for some reason you plan on taking your helmet off while inside said burning car.
Not insulting my intelligence at all, you're questioning my practical experience. I don't have experience with a HANS. All I have to work with is theory, I've never, ever used one. Now I find I must if I'm to comply with PCA rules. I have to admit I've been "sold" on the HANS idea, which, near as I can tell, is also based mostly on theory. My fear of the system may be groundless in this respect.

Is there some sort of "quick release" that gets my helmet (and therefore head) out of the car without me having to fiddle with connectors? From what I've seen I still need to unhook?

Regards,
Old 12-09-2018, 10:36 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,285 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Not insulting my intelligence at all, you're questioning my practical experience. I don't have experience with a HANS. All I have to work with is theory, I've never, ever used one. Now I find I must if I'm to comply with PCA rules. I have to admit I've been "sold" on the HANS idea, which, near as I can tell, is also based mostly on theory. My fear of the system may be groundless in this respect.

Is there some sort of "quick release" that gets my helmet (and therefore head) out of the car without me having to fiddle with connectors? From what I've seen I still need to unhook?

Regards,
Most of us can and prefer to get in and out with the HANS still attached to the helmet. They do sell quick release pulls that can uncouple the helmet from the HANS but I have never seen the need for it.

It is good to practice getting out with your eyes closed to make sure you can do it if the cabin is filled with smoke. From the amount of driving I do getting out is pretty second nature to me and hope never to have to put it to the test!
Old 12-09-2018, 10:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

I think I've made that clear; the PCA should develop a passive policy of recommendation rather than regulation.

Your age is showing.

With the advent of advanced materials like Kevlar and spun graphite (carbon fiber) weight has been reduced over the past 50 years. Carbon fiber helmets are light, they aren't in broad use due to their cost. Cheap helmets are still heavy.

Before I engage you in this conversation again I'd like to know who I'm talking to out of respect. How much practical experience do you have with designing industrial experiments aimed at measuring product effectiveness and reliability?
OK, what should PCA recommend then?

And please stop inventing your own facts. Take a look at the weight of helmets here: https://www.ogracing.com/driver/helmets. Standard helmets without those fancy materials are typically under ~3.5 pounds. Good luck finding a 10 pound helmet.

No need to engage me in conversation, we can't have a productive conversation if you don't know basic facts and are unable to offer data to support your position.

Last I checked, pro drivers in Porsche closed-cockpit race cars use harnesses, helmets, and HNR.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:54 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

They do sell quick release pulls that can uncouple the helmet from the HANS but I have never seen the need for it.
Thanks Luigi, it's good to know it's easy to get out of the car with the HANS still attached to the shoulder braces. That's one of the reasons I'll be using quick release camlock buckles on the harnesses.

Still, while wearing a different hat, I've had the experience as a SAR diver and K9 SAR operator, of finding difficult extractions on my plate and, as I understand, the HANS unit does restrict motion of the head (that's what it's designed to do), so if you're trying to extract an unconscious body from something, having that motion restricted could create a difficulty and so a delay. It might well complicate placing a cervical collar.

Glad to know there's a quick release system. I hope it's been standardized because I'm nearly certain the general population of EMTs who'll be yanking our sorry butts out of a burning car won't be well versed on all of the commercial variations available

Regards,

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 12-10-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:12 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
OK, what should PCA recommend then?
And please stop inventing your own facts.
I think I just told you what I thought the PCA should recommend; use of HANS in 4+ harness configurations.

I'm not inventing facts. My point is that, as a former statistician and professional industrial experiment designer, with a focus on product reliability and serviceability (fitness for intended use) I haven't discovered empirical support for HANS (no facts).

Notwithstanding, I have become convinced their use is a good idea, in much the same fashion advocates of carbon footprint reduction have become convinced; I'm guilty of being a victim of the "precautionary principal". In this example I feel no guilt since any downside to that decision will only effect me personally as long as I don't force others to my conclusion.

I have no personal experience with HANS devices and, due to my background, I have questions. I don't think the topic is ripe for regulation at this point in time. Strong recommendations are appropriate.

That's my professional opinion.

Sincerely,

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 12-09-2018 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Expansion of topic
Old 12-09-2018, 11:17 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Otto Mechanic

Could I suggest you take a ride to your local racing equipment shop and take a look at a Hans or similar? You can also see them in any F1 or NASCAR coverage.
As you can see from the attached image (courtesy of https://sites.psu.edu/johnsedsgn100/...safety-device/), you can walk around with the HNS attached to your helmet. Not really any difference getting in and out of the car with an HNS or without. The helmet is much more bulky than the HNS.
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

I think I just told you what I thought the PCA should recommend; use of HANS in 4+ harness configurations.

I'm not inventing facts. My point is that, as a former statistician and professional industrial experiment designer, with a focus on product reliability and serviceability (fitness for intended use) I haven't discovered empirical support for HANS (no facts). Notwithstanding, I have become convinced their use is a good idea. I have no personal experience with them and, due to my background, I have questions. I don't think the topic is ripe for regulation at this point in time. Strong recommendations are appropriate.

Sincerely,
If you do literature review, you'll find lots of empirical test data for head/neck restraint devices. Most of the research has been done by experts in biomedical engineering. I've read many of those papers (many were published by SAE). Until you've done that homework, perhaps it would be appropriate to not voice uninformed opinions.

Reading assignment: https://www.sae.org/publications/books/content/pt-160/

Last edited by Manifold; 12-09-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:31 PM
JarheadGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of us can and prefer to get in and out with the HANS still attached to the helmet. They do sell quick release pulls that can uncouple the helmet from the HANS but I have never seen the need for it.

It is good to practice getting out with your eyes closed to make sure you can do it if the cabin is filled with smoke. From the amount of driving I do getting out is pretty second nature to me and hope never to have to put it to the test!
+1 Same here. I'm in full kit when I get in the car, ditto coming out. When I first started club racing (NASA), being able to exit the car in under 15 seconds was a requirement to get your license...and is also randomly tested in post-race tech. That's fully belted in and as-raced conditions. While yes, the HANS by definition limits head movement, it's a non-issue in an emergency exit - even in fully halo'd seats.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:50 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Glyndellis
As you can see from the attached image (courtesy of https://sites.psu.edu/johnsedsgn100/...safety-device/), you can walk around with the HNS attached to your helmet.
No doubt. I have at least that much experience.

You may well be (and probably are) able to move about comfortably with an attached HANS. But how easy will it be for an EMT to place a cervical collar on you before yanking your limp body out of an upside down car that's burning? Consider that?

Look, I'm not against using HANS, or even strongly recommending their use. I'm against requiring their use. Two very different things?

Regards,
Old 12-10-2018, 12:01 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

OK. I read the abstract. If you think for some obscure reason I'll pay you or anyone else $82 for them to tell me what I know already and they openly admit in the first sentance of the abstract you're seriously confused.

"For many years, the evolution of safety improvements in motorsports was the result of a combination of science and perceived safe practices. Most safety developments were not based on rigorous laboratory testing, but rather on intuition and a “let’s try it and see what happens” approach."

This is my entire point. Thank you for providing corroborating evidence.

Sincerely,
Old 12-10-2018, 12:03 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I have no personal experience with HANS devices and, due to my background, I have questions. I don't think the topic is ripe for regulation at this point in time. Strong recommendations are appropriate.

Perhaps you should have waited with your professional opinion until you’ve used a HANS and acquainted yourself with the test data supporting its use. After years of using it, I feel naked without it — so does every racer in every race series worldwide. Anyone who has used it, understood the logic behind it, and concluded that it may as well be optional should have their head examined.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:24 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

If you do literature review, you'll find lots of empirical test data for head/neck restraint devices
Perhaps true, I no longer investigate behind paywalled publications like the one you've cited. Those days are gone. But I've found I can still use my own brain to detect nonsense. Who would have guessed? I can say that, without doubt, this cite doesn't support your premise as far as I can tell. It seems, from a pure argument perspective, you've just shot yourself in the foot?

You never answered my question? How are you connected to experimental statistics? What's your background?

Old 12-10-2018, 12:28 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1

Perhaps you should have waited with your professional opinion until you’ve used a HANS and acquainted yourself with the test data supporting its use. After years of using it, I feel naked without it — so does every racer in every race series worldwide. Anyone who has used it, understood the logic behind it, and concluded that it may as well be optional should have their head examined.
I'm sure I'll agree. I'm not arguing that. I hope you haven't become confused? I support the use of HANS devices and intend to install HANS compatible equipment in my car.

The issue is not whether or not it's a good idea, it's whether or not it's a good rule? There's a difference.

Quick Reply: NEW PCA Best Practices for DE (Rant!)